Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Home alone and listening in style, KC Larks' Tongues in Aspic:
Screen shot 2015-03-23 at 4.05.47 PM.png

First let me say that I don't have any insider information or am willing to assign a % figure to a possible new surround version of Avalon.....the word I used in my post was MIGHT.....BUT...they are doing a complete re-issue of the Roxy series with a 2014 master to work from...the fact that Avalon has a great surround version might not be a factor for the record company that has already committed to the re-issue of the series...

Sorry, but I'm not following your reasoning at all.
Labels remaster stuff all of the time, but rarely do they spend the time or money to remix something unless they are creating a surround mix for an album that doesn't have surround to begin with.

Streetlife Serenade - Billy Joel SQ
Turnstyles - Billy Joel SQ
Lazy Afternoon - Barbra Streisand SQ
Intergalactic Trot - Stardrive (Robert Mason) CD-4
Avalon - Roxy Music SACD 5.1
Blood Sweat & Tears (II) SACD 4.0
Shaman - Santana DVD-A
On Air - Alan Parsons DTS-CD

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead (DVD-Audio)

Excellent sounding disc.....not a huge fan of the Dead. But, I can appreciate their place in music. Obviously....

All the EJ's sound fantastic. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is, imo, just slightly below the others as far as fidelity goes. The electric guitars on that one are a tiny bit harsh on my system.

I think your comments are spot on. GYBR, while good, is the weakest of them all (SACD that is). All others are absolutely so warm and genuine sounding. I will never get enough of Rocket Man on SACD...it just soars....

Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds Disc 1

Hi. I have this and only recall listening to it once. There were also particles polluting my lungs, so says my wife. She's cool. Is she right? Serious question. I'll listen to it agains, but it's way down on list. Happy wife, happy life. Maybe I should burn it. :(
Probably room for nuance.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427273904.527225.jpg
Listening to a sweet, true 5.1 DD of some really great songs -- if you're a Billy Joel fan. For purist audiophiles, sure there are nitpicking criticism I can make (like live performance of Piano Man and a few videos.), but I guarantee at a minimum most will be pleasantly surprised

Especially with the new SACD arrival, trust me this is worth a buy and then some. The videos are all well mixed discretely in surround. And, you get to see Christie Brinkley prior to her brother stealing Billy's bread. So, buy it for that!

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead (DVD-Audio)

Excellent sounding disc.....not a huge fan of the Dead. But, I can appreciate their place in music. Obviously....

You would enjoy American Beauty and the unknown surround that is amazing. Sunshine Daydream. It's on blu ray on Dead.netImageUploadedByTapatalk1427274423.305463.jpg

Back