Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the EJ's sound fantastic. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is, imo, just slightly below the others as far as fidelity goes. The electric guitars on that one are a tiny bit harsh on my system.

There are 2 that are "supposed" to be the weakest ones(that's why I never got them)..Peachtree Road and the self titled one (Elton John)...GYBR is probably the less impressive sounding of the other EJ discs BUT the content is probably the best..double album..

hehe - well yes...there's content.
OK - I wasn't counting Peachtree...cause I don't really like it. It's Elton 2.0......I much prefer his older stuff...back when he was doing blow and drinking whiskey. He was a better writer...lmao

Here's the thing. Brick Road STILL sounds great....let's make no mistake about that. It's just a tad bright compared to others...IMO.

Oh, and his debut? Wow! I love it and think it sounds impressive.

There are 2 that are "supposed" to be the weakest ones(that's why I never got them)..Peachtree Road and the self titled one (Elton John)...GYBR is probably the less impressive sounding of the other EJ discs BUT the content is probably the best..double album..

The old Hybrid SACDs of Peachtree Rd & the 1970 self-titled album are still well worth getting from surround & sound quality p.o.v imho..
just not as staggeringly good as Honky Chateau, Captain Fantastic, Madman & Tumbleweed..

PTRd mix not by Greg Penny (it's "still" good tho ;) ).. there's some tape dropout & issues on EJ, made all the more noticeable by the surround thing and as a recording I suspect its inherently lacking that last bit of clarity.. but its still very much worth your consideration, i reckon.
Tumbleweed is the all-round highlight sonically for me, jaw-droppingly good in every respect.

hehe - well yes...there's content.
OK - I wasn't counting Peachtree...cause I don't really like it. It's Elton 2.0......I much prefer his older stuff...back when he was doing blow and drinking whiskey. He was a better writer...lmao

Here's the thing. Brick Road STILL sounds great....let's make no mistake about that. It's just a tad bright compared to others...IMO.

Oh, and his debut? Wow! I love it and think it sounds impressive.

I wondered how EJ suddenly lost his gift for melody.. turns out he has profound hearing loss :( oh that and he totally knackered his voice 30 years ago..
for me there's EJ 1970-1978 and then there's everything else I'm afraid, the former of which is in a different league.. thats not to say the 80's and beyond are lacking, they just pale in comparison to that string of all-time stonking mega 70's classics (all v.much imho i don't expect anyone else to agree.. :eek: )

sketches_surround_front.jpg
Sketches of Spain - Miles Davis DVD-V 5.1 (Monster HDS)

THE-WHO---QUADROPHENIA--LIVE-IN-LONDON-2014-US-BOX-SET-1.jpg
Quadrophenia (complete '73 studio album from Live in London box) - The 'Oo Blu-Ray-A 5.1

5258.jpg
Bruckner: Mass in E minor, Motets - Marcus Creed/SWR Vokalensamble, Stuttgart SACD 5.1

2390.jpg
Sisters & Brothers - Eric Bibb/Rory Block/Maria Muldaur SACD 5.1

2834651.jpg
Piano Man - Billy Joel SQ

Unknown-1.jpeg
Bach (A Sonic Spectacular) - Stokowski/LSO Dolby Surround CD

Unknown.jpeg
461 Ocean Blvd. (Scheiner 5.1 mix from Give Me Strength box) Blu-Ray-A

PF the Division Bell. What a great album.. Not a bad song on this one and the surrounding perfect.

All the EJ's sound fantastic. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is, imo, just slightly below the others as far as fidelity goes. The electric guitars on that one are a tiny bit harsh on my system.

I think your comments are spot on. GYBR, while good, is the weakest of them all (SACD that is). All others are absolutely so warm and genuine sounding. I will never get enough of Rocket Man on SACD...it just soars....

100% agree with this...I will add however that the bluray of GBYBR solved all my sonic problems I was noticing on the SACD. For me it was an abundance of mid bass that made you not want to crank it up. With the bluray, I don't have that problem and everything blends and balances much more nicely which, in turn, ables cranking of the volume knob without the harshness. Never checked the DVDA so I can't pinpoint if it is a dsd/pcm problem or what but the bluray is worth checking out if your not digging the overall sound quality of GBYBR...

100% agree with this...I will add however that the bluray of GBYBR solved all my sonic problems I was noticing on the SACD. For me it was an abundance of mid bass that made you not want to crank it up. With the bluray, I don't have that problem and everything blends and balances much more nicely which, in turn, ables cranking of the volume knob without the harshness. Never checked the DVDA so I can't pinpoint if it is a dsd/pcm problem or what but the bluray is worth checking out if your not digging the overall sound quality of GBYBR...
Just to clarify, my comments about Goodbye Yellow Brick Road refer to the blu-ray. I've never heard the sacd or the dvd-a.

Just to clarify, my comments about Goodbye Yellow Brick Road refer to the blu-ray. I've never heard the sacd or the dvd-a.

Go figure...sorry you think the top end is harsh on the bluray. I don't have that problem luckily. I will now put the sound quality of GBYBR bluray above the other releases on SACD, which was not the case comparing SACD to SACD.

No recordings are perfect, no medium is perfect, no systems are perfect, no rooms are perfect. We still shoot for perfection and that what makes this hobby, for me, fun...did I mention no mixes are perfect and no ones ears are perfect either:)

A new one for me and impressive:
Screen shot 2015-03-26 at 6.24.05 PM.jpg Didn't think I liked Mr. Young much, the playing is outstanding as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
How's the Stockhausen SACD?
Are you familiar with this piece? It's a bit hard to describe. It's an abstract, experimental vocal piece for six singers. They don't really sing. It's more of a chant. They sing, howl, and repeat words, phrases and sounds. It's based on the concept of tuning instruments. But, it's a little deeper. The singers are also tuning their spirit or state of mind. I think it's fascinating but it's not everyday listening material. Many people simply don't get it at all.

It's probably best to audition this music before buying.
Please check out... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7KgxKtF35P4

As for the recording, it offers excellent immersive surround sound! The rear speakers are discretely used. You feel as if you're sitting in the midst of the singers. IF you like this type of music, then this is highly recommended.

Back