Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly out of topic but it's been confirmed that The Wall Live is airing on cinemas on September. I wonder if we will see a Blu-ray by Christmas time

Slightly out of topic but it's been confirmed that The Wall Live is airing on cinemas on September. I wonder if we will see a Blu-ray by Christmas time

I thought the same 5 years ago..it's always been high on my wish list..I do have it recorded in HD on my DVR....the Palladia channel runs it a couple of times a year...it's not bad for what it is...but a blu ray with quality surround would be awesome..but from what I understand there was so much conflict within the band about it's release that it was shelved..but if they are willing to bring it to cinemas it might become a blu ray possibility

Honestly I think the reason why people dislike Guthrie's work is because those are albums where there is a Quad mix alternative, mixes that some people have been used to for three or four decades and Guthrie's mixes do no fit in line with what they are used to. I can only imagine how people would respond to Guthrie's mixing if the Quad mixes did not exist.

That's why I feel "The Division Bell" is so loved on this forum, not because AJ is a better surround mixer than Guthrie but because it's an album where the only other point of comparison is the stereo mix.
And that's also why I think people will enjoy "Amused to Death" in surround for what it is, because otherwise, it would just be stereo... ;)[/

QUOTE]

Well said! Always keep in mind, if QQ members want to trash a surround mix the alternative will be........stereo!

I thought the same 5 years ago..it's always been high on my wish list..I do have it recorded in HD on my DVR....the Palladia channel runs it a couple of times a year...it's not bad for what it is...but a blu ray with quality surround would be awesome..but from what I understand there was so much conflict within the band about it's release that it was shelved..but if they are willing to bring it to cinemas it might become a blu ray possibility

Cesar's referring to the new Roger Waters live tour of the Wall and not the cinematic film done over thirty years ago, though I would love a Blu-Ray release of both, along with the full album as was mixed in surround.

Cesar's referring to the new Roger Waters live tour of the Wall and not the cinematic film done over thirty years ago, though I would love a Blu-Ray release of both, along with the full album as was mixed in surround.

That's it. Full details on the usual site (pinkfloydz.com).
Let's go step by step, I wouldn't bet any money on a combined release. But all in all it sounds like a good year on RW camp

Well said. IIRC, the Quad mixes were mostly afterthoughts at the time, and I don't think the band was even present for the Quad mixing sessions for either album, just leaving the engineer to get on with it (kinda like the Beatles and stereo mixing up until The White Album)
Guthrie's mixes were the opposite of that in that all four members had to sign off on the mix before it was released (back in the days when Rick Wright was still alive)
I can only imagine how tough it is to get FOUR people (especially the guys in Pink Floyd) to agree on anything, particularly walking the fine line between what Roger wants and what David wants. That's why I can imagine it was probably easier for Andy J to get on mixing "The Division Bell" and "The Endless River" as he probably only had to deal with David (and maybe Nick), and the same goes for Guthrie and "Amused to Death". Only person he has to please is Roger, and hopefully what Roger wants is what we want as well.

Spot on rt! (y)

Alan Parson's quad mix was a quick, gimmicky after thought at the time (even though I do like it) and I do appreciate Guthrie's thoughtful work and meeting the band's approval.
I love Andy Jackson's multi-channel mixes as well, especially Division Bell but one needs to keep in mind that he did this 10 years before it was released. Andy was looking for some work and Gilmour did him a favor by paying him for the 5.1 mix which took a decade before it was appreciated by all. It was never really meant to be released at the time.

I don't have any problem with Guthrie's SACD surround mix of DSOTM. I've only played it a handful of times because it's not one of my favorite PF albums. I remember enjoying and not finding any fault with the mix. Well, anything that would stick out. Last time I listened to it (about 4 years ago), I remember the dog running out from the other room, came up to the left rear speaker, and started barking at it. It was his very first surround experience. :) I think that is the only surround mix I have of Guthrie's surround work. So, I have nothing else he did to compare it to. I've listened to the Parson's Quad mix only once and I remember it having a different mix that sounded good too. I'll have to get both out and compare someday but I'm in no hurry to.

I am very pleased that both Alan Parsons' and James Guthrie's mixes were included in the DSOTM Immersion box. It's nice to have choices.

I don't have any problem with Guthrie's SACD surround mix of DSOTM. I've only played it a handful of times because it's not one of my favorite PF albums. I remember enjoying and not finding any fault with the mix. Well, anything that would stick out. Last time I listened to it (about 4 years ago), I remember the dog running out from the other room, came up to the left rear speaker, and started barking at it. It was his very first surround experience. :) I think that is the only surround mix I have of Guthrie's surround work. So, I have nothing else he did to compare it to. I've listened to the Parson's Quad mix only once and I remember it having a different mix that sounded good too. I'll have to get both out and compare someday but I'm in no hurry to.

Funny, DSOTM is not my favorite either. I think I just played it too much and I've grown tired of it.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't see any reason to get the SACD version over the much cheaper blu-ray option.

In my case, the reason is the SACD is cheaper than the BD/CD combo because I pre-ordered it many Moons ago, and unless Amazon cancels my order for the SACD because they decide they don't want to sell it to people that pre-ordered it for that low price, I may be forced to either re-order it when they decide to re-list the SACD at the higher price or just cancel my order and get the Blu-ray. On second thought, I may pick up that Blu-ray set after all just so I can compare the two. Now, if they offer a multi-channel download which I don't see happening but hope I'm wrong, I may just get that and the Blu-ray. :)

In my case, the reason is the SACD is cheaper than the BD/CD combo because I pre-ordered it many Moons ago, and unless Amazon cancels my order for the SACD because they decide they don't want to sell it to people that pre-ordered it for that low price, I may be forced to either re-order it when they decide to re-list the SACD at the higher price or just cancel my order and get the Blu-ray. On second thought, I may pick up that Blu-ray set after all just so I can compare the two. Now, if they offer a multi-channel download which I don't see happening but hope I'm wrong, I may just get that and the Blu-ray. :)

I guess importcds thought Roger was going to keep putting off the release date too...that's why they put this release date in the item description:ugham:

Always keep in mind, if QQ members want to trash a surround mix the alternative will be........stereo!
that's amazes me. let's trash any and all Silverline surround releases, because they are for most part very poor (which is true)
but one cannot express any sort of criticism if it comes to such iconic act like Pink Floyd, albeit final result was on par with Silverline,
despite of sources supplied for rework of titles are top notch and financing the work never been a question.
i say, better leave it as stereo only, if you cannot produce terrific surround from it.
that's leaves open option someday will be someone, who can do it right, eventually.

My guess is that Amazon will not be carrying the SACD.

I am very pleased that both Alan Parsons' and James Guthrie's mixes were included in the DSOTM Immersion box. It's nice to have choices.

I have the SACD and UK SQ LP of DSOTM and find both enjoyable listens, but Alan Parsons LP has horrified me the last time I played it because it is the most worn(by me) LP in my humble collection. For the record, pun intended, the SACD has be played maybe 6 times in 4 years, and I've had the LP since 1991.

Yep, it's also not my favorite album.
It is actually the album I play the fewest.
Animals and Meddle are the top albums to me.

I concur, It nice to have a choice in surround mixes.I compliment whoever made this decision.Now if you want to bitch about something on the IMMERSION box sets..........Why were the live tracks not presented in their original concert QUAD for the fans?! After all Pink Floyd practically invented the live in quad experience (immersion?).

Back