What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with this order myself:

1) "In the Court of the Crimson King"
2) "Discipline"
3) "Islands"
4) "Starless & Bible Black" (2 upmixes)
5) "In the Wake of Poseidon" (Devil's Triangle is upmixed)

If you can find the Court box for a good price, get that! It's not nearly as expensive as the Larks, Starless, or Red boxes but still has plenty of great content to enjoy! :)

Thanks RT! :) You're a PAL (with NTSC capability!) :D

I have all those and love them all. When I'm in a saucy mood for some crazy weirdness....I go for the KING! Love the music.

I'd go with this order myself:

1) "In the Court of the Crimson King"
2) "Discipline"
3) "Islands"
4) "Starless & Bible Black" (2 upmixes)
5) "In the Wake of Poseidon" (Devil's Triangle is upmixed)

If you can find the Court box for a good price, get that! It's not nearly as expensive as the Larks, Starless, or Red boxes but still has plenty of great content to enjoy! :)

I got ALL of them except for the ITCOTCK Boxset... what can I say? I'm a fanboy (reminds me of my wife when she asked me.."is there a Genesis box set you DON'T have????"...nooooo )

The postman delivered Breezin' the AF SACD by George Benson today. I have heard a lot of not so great things about it but I prefer to form my own opinion and I really like the artist, genre and mix. I will vote on it after a few spins.

PTree.jpg

OK, I know I'm late to jump on the bandwagon here, but I had never really investigated Porcupine Tree before. But since falling in love with Hand.Cannot.Erase I figured it was time to take the plunge. Holy crap! I knew to expect an amazing mix, but the music is pretty mind blowing too. Can't wait to investigate further. Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident are on order. Now I just need to find the others at a reasonable price.....

image.jpgimage.jpg

There are several orchestral highlights or "Ring Without Words" recordings available. This one is around 90 minutes of music from all 4 operas of Wagner's Ring cycle. The rear channels are not as aggressive as TACET or 2L, but they still put out a lot of music and make the overall soundstage nice and immersive. Enjoyable surround experience!

Play it loud!

Last edited:
Oh man...lookout! Porcupine Tree is explosive.....I have all their music...much in surround.

View attachment 18691

OK, I know I'm late to jump on the bandwagon here, but I had never really investigated Porcupine Tree before. But since falling in love with Hand.Cannot.Erase I figured it was time to take the plunge. Holy crap! I knew to expect an amazing mix, but the music is pretty mind blowing too. Can't wait to investigate further. Fear of a Blank Planet and The Incident are on order. Now I just need to find the others at a reasonable price.....

I like the Ring without words.....I can't speak German! yuk, yuk....

I understand. Opera isn't everyone's cup of tea. And, Wagnerian operas with all that heavy duty singing can be hard to swallow, but for me the complete operas WITH words take the music to a whole other level. Still...I have quite a few of these Ring highlight albums. And... I really like the extra music from the Ring that is included in Coviello's 2-disc set. In fact, I would even like a little more, but I'm not complaining. It's got more music than Maazel's famous Ring Without Words, which btw...is available on BD-V. I'll admit Maazel's has an advantage with the Berlin Phil, who are nearly flawless. The Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie might not have the same agility and polish, but they give a solid performance. Coviello's recording has better, more natural sound.

Lute- I actually do enjoy opera, my mother was an aspiring opera singer and pianist in the 1950s before falling for a Swedish sailor ashore in Manhattan. She had performed at a Tanglewood Music Festival, Chautauqua, NY, etc. I even have a 78 she had recorded. I plan on expanding my classical surround selections one of these days.....Mr. Moulton has me inspired to try his recordings.

Lute- I actually do enjoy opera, my mother was an aspiring opera singer and pianist in the 1950s before falling for a Swedish sailor ashore in Manhattan. She had performed at a Tanglewood Music Festival, Chautauqua, NY, etc. I even have a 78 she had recorded. I plan on expanding my classical surround selections one of these days.....Mr. Moulton has me inspired to try his recordings.

God dag, John!

You might want to check this one out. It has a nice selection of arias. BIS's multichannel recordings are usually ambient, but they are of the highest sound quality.

Here is a mini review... http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/130934//y?page=first

image.jpg

More information on this wonderful singer... http://www.askonasholt.co.uk/artists/singers/soprano/miah-persson

Back