Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, I really like the mix a lot. I did fall asleep sometime after "The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range", for a short time (long day) but woke up a short time later. What I don't like is the Blu-Ray/CD package is presented as a CD with the BD as a bonus disc when it should be the other way around for the $30.00 price tag. Also, I'm disappointed that there aren't any visuals or bonus material. And, I would of rather had some type of BD jewel case or movie box as opposed to how it came. Now I'm sorry I didn't pick up the SACD. Btw, I'm sort of surprised Roger only did 3 solo albums after he departed Pink Floyd. I feel his best is "Pros & Cons Of Hitchhiking". "Radio Kaos, though good, sounds dated and a mixed bag. I'm leaning toward an '8' on this release.

image.jpg

Just received my Ltd. BR single via my cousin who picked one up on my behalf :)

Just giving the BluRay 5.1 a first spin after it arrived this morning. I've been a big fan of this album since it's first release and have been looking forward to a proper 5.1 release for a long time - ever since I first started this thread, in fact!

So what's my verdict? In my opinion it's been well worth the wait to hear it sounding so good!

If you want to be critical, the surround isn't without its "flaws" compared to, say, SW's best, such as being used predominantly for the various "effects" that those who are familiar with the album will know only too well. It would, imho, certainly stand more discrete musical parts being in the surround field, and Roger's vocal has, shall we say, a *lot* of presence in the front ;) The rears could maybe be lifted a db or two as well (but this is easily tweaked with channel trim.)

But the sound quality of the 24/96 is just sublime. It doesn't sound compressed to my ears and sounds simply amazing when it's cranked up loud. Enjoying it a lot. I'm also enjoying picking out the "new" additions to the mix (actually stuff that was on the multi-tracks but didn't make it onto the fist release.) The surround does work and it works very well. This is going to get a lot of plays.

Listen to it loud!

F*ckin' eBay!

The "What God Wants" Blu-Ray single is already fetching RIDICULOUS prices on there, ranging from $15-85! :yikes
Especially now that I have heard the mix of this song within the context of the album, I can say that this single probably isn't worth more than $5 of your money, so if you're a collector, don't pay those RIDICULOUS prices, cause it simply isn't worth it!
Put your money towards the CD/Blu-Ray set or SACD (if you haven't done so already) to get that song and more! :)

What else is new!

What the F are you on about? You must love sycophants. This is not a great 5.1 disc. Very front heavy, more effects than music in rears. Nice sound quality but not great mixes.

F*ckin' eBay!

The "What God Wants" Blu-Ray single is already fetching RIDICULOUS prices on there, ranging from $15-85! :yikes
Especially now that I have heard the mix of this song within the context of the album, I can say that this single probably isn't worth more than $5 of your money, so if you're a collector, don't pay those RIDICULOUS prices, cause it simply isn't worth it!
Put your money towards the CD/Blu-Ray set or SACD (if you haven't done so already) to get that song and more! :)

I'm going uptown in a couple of hours if I can pick up another copy I will.
Thinking of taking a disguise so I can do a quick change and nab two! :D

What the F are you on about? You must love sycophants. This is not a great 5.1 disc. Very front heavy, more effects than music in rears. Nice sound quality but not great mixes.

That sounds like my review of his remix of DSOTM.

Motivation to order waning after reading some of these posts...

I bought two copies yesterday HMV Liverpool, not sure how limited this release is as my copies are numbered 1070 and 1071.

I bought two copies yesterday HMV Liverpool, not sure how limited this release is as my copies are numbered 1070 and 1071.

So, I just had an interesting experience in my local HMV.

My cousin managed to snag me a copy of the WGW single yesterday, which he posted and it arrived this morning. He did this for me because I was unable to make it into town myself for work reasons. But, as it happened, today I went into town and spied 3 copies on the shelf. There were no "1 per customer" stickers and so, thinking that I may be able to buy all three to pass on to QQ'ers at face value, I took them to the counter. The cashier gave me a quizzical look, consulted with his manager, who then, in a loud voice, told me I could only buy 1 and then only if I bought the album at the same time!

Naturally, I queried this but was told in no uncertain terms that this was the rule and I wouldn't be served.

Having checked with Legacy Recordings, I saw no stipulation that a concurrent album purchase was necessary, and then contacted my local HMV via Twitter. At this moment in time, I am being offered a lot of twaddle about my misinterpretation of the offer and how they have done nothing wrong, irrespective of many stories from fellow QQ'ers to the contrary. They have offered to reserve me one, which I declined because it would cost me more in diesel to go back than the cost of the single, especially as I have a copy for myself anyway.

They have now sent me this picture to show they have rectified the lack of labelling, but they still insist that to buy this single, you must also buy the album at the same time.

Screen Shot 2015-07-25 at 16.50.28.jpg

Oh happy days ;-)

Not quite as cheap but the Walmart near the office (in Burnaby) has it for $18.97.

Packaging looked a bit fragile, has anyone seen the SACD, is it in a Super Jewel Case?
There's a picture on here somewhere. It's not in a jewel case but it's sturdier looking than the Blu-ray packaging (which I've also only seen in pictures on the web). I don't understand this type of crap packaging.

I managed to get the last remaining copy in my local HMV this morning - limited to one per person as in the picture but nothing was said about having to buy the album so maybe some branches are applying a local interpretation to try and bolster sales. At least I got one. :)

Speaking of packaging and obsolete disc formats...

Is this available for download anywhere? I see it on HDtracks but the lack of any info suggests that might only be the stereo mix.

I'm a little unclear... Is there something different musically or mix-wise on the single, or will my Blu-ray suffice? (Is the single just a collector thing?)

Back