Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna have to bite on this one. Not my favorite Waters solo album but the last one that at least a few songs I still get genuinely hungry to hear. A true 5.1 mix could be a wild ride here! I hope we get that and not a more or less stereo mix in front with a couple reverb wiggles in the back. JG is the guy that did that early 2000 DSOTM remix that downplayed a lot of the surround that was in the original quad mix. Fingers crossed...

Worst case, the 24/96 flat transfer of the original stereo mix will be nice to hear. :)

Man... Still feel cheated that we never got a tour with Jeff Beck joining him! That would have been the real deal! (And those 2 songs from that Jeff Beck concert whenever that was were great but very much not enough!)

I'm gonna have to bite on this one. Not my favorite Waters solo album but the last one that at least a few songs I still get genuinely hungry to hear. A true 5.1 mix could be a wild ride here! I hope we get that and not a more or less stereo mix in front with a couple reverb wiggles in the back. JG is the guy that did that early 2000 DSOTM remix that downplayed a lot of the surround that was in the original quad mix. Fingers crossed...

Worst case, the 24/96 flat transfer of the original stereo mix will be nice to hear. :)

Man... Still feel cheated that we never got a tour with Jeff Beck joining him! That would have been the real deal! (And those 2 songs from that Jeff Beck concert whenever that was were great but very much not enough!)

" The last one that at least had a few songs" Huh? Don't most people think of Amused to Death as his last album?
I wouldn't really think of the opera Ça Ira sits in comparison to his three "mainstream" albums.

Saying that the JS DSOTM mix is downplayed is bonkers. People may prefer Parsons version but it is not like the JS mix isn't discrete. A respectful Phooey to you.
I love both mixes.

Greg

Check this out!

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...d-wants-5-1-blu-ray-audio-single/#more-115063

whatgod_blu-480x480.jpg

With the reissue of Roger Waters‘ superb Amused to Death album due tomorrow, Sony Music have created a very special and very exclusive 5.1 blu-ray audio single of What God Wants, Part 1!

The song was originally the lead single from Amused to Death back in August 1992 and was a top 40 hit at that time. This new blu-ray audio single is available tomorrow and is an exclusive to UK retailer HMV. Only 1000 numbered discs have been produced and they will not be available anywhere else other than in-store at HMV.

This unique 5.1 blu-ray single will be priced at £3.99 and purchase will get you £2 off any format of the reissue of Amused to Death in HMV. It goes without saying that the disc requires you to have a blu-ray player with a 5.1 surround set-up play the song. There is no video content.

My CD/Blu-ray arrived today, but its at the bottom of the stack as I've so many goodies to listen to!

After reading Julie's review I still don't know if the stereo layer is a remix or a remaster...

I'd wondered that when I was looking at the booklet, I've come to the conclusion that the Stereo is a re-mastering of the original Q-Sound mix (I haven't listened to any of it yet).

CCF23072015_0000.jpg

After reading Julie's review I still don't know if the stereo layer is a remix or a remaster...

A lot of fancy words but not a very detailed review regarding the sound or differences between this and the original release. It's not a new stereo mix, not for the most anyway.

The stereo mix which is being released (in ALL formats), it's the original mix with the exception of Perfect Sense and The Bravery of Being Out of Range which had "new" original elements added. Other than those 2 songs the newly released stereo version is the same as the original mix.

The new video for What God Wants appears to be a new mix but evidently wasn't include in the new version of the album.

I just want to revisit this price...I got this when there was a sale for UNDER $19 with shipping included...BUT..I realize that this is shipping from Australia and it's going to take longer than other sites..so if you aren't in a hurry and would like to save some money...this might be of interest to you....HERE

Another source HERE
Thanks for the Tip, Clint. Good prices. Ordered from your second source.(y)(y)(y)

My CD/Blu-ray arrived today, but its at the bottom of the stack as I've so many goodies to listen to!

Where did you order Amused to Death from? Annoyingly my Amazon order of it has been "preparing for dispatch" for 2 days now and counting!

Check this out!

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...d-wants-5-1-blu-ray-audio-single/#more-115063

View attachment 20215

With the reissue of Roger Waters‘ superb Amused to Death album due tomorrow, Sony Music have created a very special and very exclusive 5.1 blu-ray audio single of What God Wants, Part 1!

The song was originally the lead single from Amused to Death back in August 1992 and was a top 40 hit at that time. This new blu-ray audio single is available tomorrow and is an exclusive to UK retailer HMV. Only 1000 numbered discs have been produced and they will not be available anywhere else other than in-store at HMV.

This unique 5.1 blu-ray single will be priced at £3.99 and purchase will get you £2 off any format of the reissue of Amused to Death in HMV. It goes without saying that the disc requires you to have a blu-ray player with a 5.1 surround set-up play the song. There is no video content.

For once I was not working and had the time to visit HMV (in Swindon) and had the last BR single off the shelf no 309 proudly sits on a shelf in Royal Wootton Bassett now had a listen lots more in the rears than I am used to with a Guthrie mix, but it is more effects and backing vocals.

No video go figure but at least its 5.1

Now waiting for the already ordered elsewhere Blu Ray of the album to arrive to listen to the whole thing nothing in the post today

Where did you order Amused to Death from? Annoyingly my Amazon order of it has been "preparing for dispatch" for 2 days now and counting!

Bummer man - mine says "out for delivery". Only problem is....I'm on vacation about 1500 miles away from my mailbox.... :violin

My copy of AtD arrived from Amazon this morning and my cousin managed to nab me a copy of the WGW single as well, so it's happy days all around here.

I need to give the album a proper, uninterrupted listen, but my initial thoughts are that it is very good. However, the packaging is as minimal as you could expect and the card sleeve won't wear well over time. Even a simple plastic case would've sufficed. My other quibble is that the audio is only LPCM. There's no DTS-MA option. Now, that's not a massive problem, but my upstairs listening set up, which admittedly is cobbled together with various bits of stuff on a limited budget, doesn't have the option to decode LPCM 5.1, only DTS. So I will have to kick the family out for a few hours and use my main rig in the living room.

Other than that, it's great to finally have this classic in this form :)

P.S. I'm hoping my vinyl picture disc version ships from Amazon France soon ;)

My copy of AtD arrived from Amazon this morning and my cousin managed to nab me a copy of the WGW single as well, so it's happy days all around here.

And my Amazon order still says its preparing :howl. I ordered on 15 April too, the day it went up for pre-order :(.

And my Amazon order still says its preparing :howl. I ordered on 15 April too, the day it went up for pre-order :(.

I have a different type of problem with amazon UK...I pre-ordered a long time ago just to have an order in before I shopped around...I found a source that was less than $19 that included the shipping and had forgotten about the amazon order...well I remembered yesterday and tried to cancel my order...even though it wasn't shipped they said they couldn't cancel and then 2 hours later I was notified it was shipped...so if you want it shipped just try to cancel it and they will probably ship it...

My other quibble is that the audio is only LPCM. There's no DTS-MA option. Now, that's not a massive problem, but my upstairs listening set up, which admittedly is cobbled together with various bits of stuff on a limited budget, doesn't have the option to decode LPCM 5.1, only DTS. So I will have to kick the family out for a few hours and use my main rig in the living room.

That's because of James Guthrie.

Here's something that Andy Jackson posted about a year ago:
James (Guthrie) hates the sound of DTS & won't put it on the discs he has control of.

The audio options on "Amused to Death" are consistent with the other Pink Floyd-related Blu-Rays that Guthrie has mixed (the 2 Immersion Blu-Rays for "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here") as they all just have LPCM (Stereo & 5.1)
No DolbyTrueHD or DTS-HD MA options to be found.

Back