Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a picture on here somewhere. It's not in a jewel case but it's sturdier looking than the Blu-ray packaging (which I've also only seen in pictures on the web). I don't understand this type of crap packaging.

Probably two reasons: cheap and eco-friendly, two things labels love.
I'm all for the latter, but not if it means the former has to be lumped in too...

Speaking of packaging and obsolete disc formats...

Is this available for download anywhere? I see it on HDtracks but the lack of any info suggests that might only be the stereo mix.

AFAIK, the surround mix is only available through the discs (Blu-Ray & SACD), while the stereo mix is available for High-Res download through different sites, including Acoustic Sounds, which is offering it for download in both high-res PCM & DSD formats.

I'm a little unclear... Is there something different musically or mix-wise on the single, or will my Blu-ray suffice? (Is the single just a collector thing?)

I don't have the single, but from what I have heard, it appears to be the same musically and mix-wise as what's on the album Blu-Ray, so I'd say save your money unless you can get it for really cheap.

AFAIK, the surround mix is only available through the discs (Blu-Ray & SACD), while the stereo mix is available for High-Res download through different sites, including Acoustic Sounds, which is offering it for download in both high-res PCM & DSD formats.

That's how it appears to me too.
This needs to change. (Along with the thing where they only include the 5.1 mix in the $100 box set version like that BSS mix I haven't bought yet.) They're missing out on lots of impulse purchases!

I bought two copies yesterday HMV Liverpool, not sure how limited this release is as my copies are numbered 1070 and 1071.

I bought two copies yesterday HMV Liverpool, not sure how limited this release is as my copies are numbered 1070 and 1071.

Looks like you have 4 copies now. misc036.giflaughing021.gif

Have you guys checked the Ebay prices on these single blurays........... Sell now \o/

Snood sees 4 listings all UK - lowest BUY IT NOW is 51 Dollars and one being bid on with 7 bids 18 hours left at 34.11 Dollars already :yikes

I was on Acoustic Sounds looking at the packaging for the SACD and it appears to be the same as the CD/BD release. Since, this is the case, I'm glad I picked up the BD.

It's not the same.
The SACD edition appears to have the same kind of casing as the "Wish You Were Here" SACD.
It appears to be a LOT better than the CD/Blu-Ray edition.

It sure looks the same size, duo-fold versus tri-fold, with a disc holder attached. If it's a lot better, I'm not seeing it.

The disc holder would be a major improvement over the Blu-ray "case".

The pictures I've seen of the Blu-ray/CD thing shows one disk not even being held by the case, so what do you do, scotch tape it on there or what? Actually I'd probably just put the CD into some other case since it would never be played.

Have you guys checked the Ebay prices on these single blurays........... Sell now \o/

Snood sees 4 listings all UK - lowest BUY IT NOW is 51 Dollars and one being bid on with 7 bids 18 hours left at 34.11 Dollars already :yikes

I'd have to assume the sellers work at HMV.

I'd have to assume the sellers work at HMV.

Or for Sony UK. Then again, maybe someone knows an employer of an HMV store and offered that person ten pounds per discs knowing full well they'd get that money back once the discs were on e-bay.

The disc holder would be a major improvement over the Blu-ray "case".

Not really. Unless, that disc holder is of good quality and the only one I've seen that is decent is the one contained in the super jewel case.

The pictures I've seen of the Blu-ray/CD thing shows one disk not even being held by the case, so what do you do, scotch tape it on there or what? Actually I'd probably just put the CD into some other case since it would never be played.

There is no disc holder in my CD/BD package per say. It's actually the cardboard part of the case holding the CD with the BD being in it's own thin cardboard envelope, then stored inside the case.

image.jpg

If it was to save me $12.51 over the SACD, I don't care how they package it as long as the discs are protected.

Are there any extras on the Blu-ray disc?

No extras, which is silly considering we have been getting such great video interviews with Roger about the album posted online. I would love to have those on the disc along with the new 'updated' video of "What God Wants, Pt 1"

And back to packaging, the plastic disc holder that the SACD packaging has is much preferred for me rather than just shoving the discs in cardboard slits, which is what the Blu-Ray has.
Plus it looks like the SACD version is more of a digibook style packaging, so it's a harder and more sturdy packaging than the flimsy cardboard that is the CD/Blu-Ray edition.

Jon hasn't made a poll thread for this release yet cause it was just released yesterday, but I imagine he'll be creating one for this title very soon. :)

Poll coming tomorrow after the forum maintenance. Posting the poll too soon creates unrealistic voting. "Get to know the disc before you praise or kill it" is a smart policy.

And back to packaging, the plastic disc holder that the SACD packaging has is much preferred for me rather than just shoving the discs in cardboard slits, which is what the Blu-Ray has.
Plus it looks like the SACD version is more of a digibook style packaging, so it's a harder and more sturdy packaging than the flimsy cardboard that is the CD/Blu-Ray edition.

Okay! Let's take a bet to see which disc falls out and hits the floor first, after some time. I'll bet it's the flimsy cheap disc holding jewel case. ;)

Poll coming tomorrow after the forum maintenance. Posting the poll too soon creates unrealistic voting. "Get to know the disc before you praise or kill it" is a smart policy.

By the time I'll vote on it when you post the poll tomorrow, I'll have heard the mix 3-4 times, so I'll be pretty confident in casting a vote. :)

Back