Yes "Fragile": DVD-A/BluRay Out October 30th (Remixed by Steven Wilson)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm.. I'd love the instrumentals in surround too but given how much amazing content is squeezed into these Yes sets I have to question if it's really reasonable grounds for a grumble.. :eek:

Ha! For me (and here) it's worth a grumble since I know it was brought up before. With the Yes and XTC I have been drawn to listening to the instrumental versions after drinking in the main surround mixes and they feel deflated after the full immersive experience. I keep hoping Steve (or the band or company) will take it the extra step farther to include instrumental surround mixes on the Blu rays.

Maybe, if Steve has made his own surround instrumental versions during his work on each album, there's a possibilty/hope/dream of a blu-ray instrumental surround set of Yes albums.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to his Fragile 5.1 mixes. I have the DVD-A version but am rarely drawn to play it, though I have to consciously curtail my playing of Steve's Close to the Edge mix to avoid wearing it out. :sun

I love the instrumental only tracks as much as the regular ones.
For me it gives an unobstructed insight into the song construction, performance and interplay of the instruments.
Oranges & Lemons should be really fascinating given the murky over-driven nature of the original.

Great news that he is doing this album! Steven Wilson could make a surround sound recording of his dog licking its testicles and it would sound better than the 5.1 mix of Roundabout on that DVD-A! I'm sure that it will be well done.
Sounds like people have learned their lessons in how to actually approach a surround mix. This is going to be the definitive edition - that much is set in stone!

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Great news that he is doing this album! Steven Wilson could make a surround sound recording of his dog licking its testicles and it would sound better than the 5.1 mix of Roundabout on that DVD-A! I'm sure that it will be well done.

Dog Licking Testicles??

Oh craaaaaaaaaaaap another Steven Wilson release that Snood gonna have to search out. Is there a poll up for this one yet?? :banana:

Dog Licking Testicles??

Oh craaaaaaaaaaaap another Steven Wilson release that Snood gonna have to search out. Is there a poll up for this one yet?? :banana:

If he makes it I'll buy it! Anything Steven Wilson does would probably sound great, although our veterinarian friends may pass on this type of recording given their easy access to a live performance. ;)

can't wait for this one. I have the old dvd-a mix and it is nothing great.

the recent SW mixes of close to the edge and the yes album were just about perfect 10s in my book (Relayer is a good mix also just not one of my fav yes albums). an SW mix of Fragile in 5.1 should be another one worth having.

can't wait for this one. I have the old dvd-a mix and it is nothing great.

the recent SW mixes of close to the edge and the yes album were just about perfect 10s in my book (Relayer is a good mix also just not one of my fav yes albums). an SW mix of Fragile in 5.1 should be another one worth having.

Same here...the DVD-Audio is one of my older discs...while I like it...I can only imagine the SW mix!

I sold my SACD version on EBay over the weekend...soon that placed will be flooded with the old version..

You can say that again.
I need to try and sell off my old SACD soon too, but I still can't get rid of my "Brain Salad Surgery" SACD, and that's worth much more than "Fragile" is currently worth.

Personally I'd never get rid of my older DVD-A of Fragile or Brain Salad Surgery. While ... I guess.. I can understand why people criticize them. I find them interesting alternative takes, including nice surround from various vocals and instrument parts. If I need to listen to and original mix ... I do. ... NOW, HELL YES Im happy for this new Wilson mix.. ha ha

I think stereo is more than good enough. After all, he's only got 2 testicles.

Based on what's happening with "Oranges & Lemons", we can now clearly see what's at stake here for the continuation of the Yes reissues as well.

If we all want a better chance of more Yes reissues on DVDA in the future, then we have to make sure that the DVDA edition of "Fragile" sells very well!

We know that at least one more Yes remix is waiting to be released, and that's "Tales from Topographic Oceans".
I think that DVDA sales of "Fragile" (along with the continued DVDA sales of "Close to the Edge", "The Yes Album", and "Relayer") will be the determining factor in deciding whether or not "Tales" will get releases on both formats or just Blu-Ray.

Why do I think this might happen? We know from discussions before that since "Tales" is an over 80min. double album, it will most likely take 2 DVDAs to get all three mixes (old stereo, new stereo, and surround) on there at 96 kHz, while all of that content (plus extras) could all potentially fit onto 1 Blu-Ray disc.
If there's as much of difference in format sales for the Yes records as there apparently is for the XTC records, they might also dump DVDA altogether if Blu-Ray is a much more viable option going forward.

So to reiterate, if you really care that much about DVDA (and I know many on here do), don't wait to order the DVDA of "Fragile". Get it now, and let's hope our wallets continue to do the talking for us! :)

We know that at least one more Yes remix is waiting to be released, and that's "Tales from Topographic Oceans".

Do we though? Steven Wilson said on this forum recently something like "a lot of work has been done on Tales already", and that might mean that its a long way from "waiting to be released" unfortunately.

Do we though? Steven Wilson said on this forum recently something like "a lot of work has been done on Tales already", and that might mean that its a long way from "waiting to be released" unfortunately.

Or it might mean that it's closer to being ready than a lot of us realize.
I think that whatever needs to be finished on it (more remixing, authoring, packaging, sleeve notes, etc) will be finished in time for it to be released some time next year (as the remainder of this year seems very unlikely now…)
And I would like to reiterate my original point, which is that now we know that sales clearly do make an impact on format decisions for future releases, and I would hate for DVDA to be dropped from "Tales" or future Yes releases if the current ones do not sell well enough now.

I was worried about that comment as well. I cannot find it right now, but it went on to speak about no further tapes being received, and I was unsure whether he was specifically referring to portions of Tales, or other titles in the Yes catalog....

Back