Listening to now...in fake Quad!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working from home all this week, and I got my repaired Denon Universal Player back at the weekend. So I can do fake surround as I can connect through HDMI so I thought I'd have a listen via DD Pro-II Music to,

Tangerine Dream "Rubycon" Japanese SACD - works really well a lot appearing in the rear channels, and eerily fitting the music, is when some synth sounds move completely from the front to the back. Quite spooky!
Can "Flow Motion" SACD - I love all things Can, and this album works very well in fake surround, but it was recorded using the Artificial Head System
Doobie Brothers "Toulouse Street" SACD - certainly listened to the music in ProII, some instruments seemed to come from only the rear channels.
Supertramp "Crime Of The Century" BDA - this didn't work as well as I'd hoped, things do surround but its a bit muddled.

Agreed! Those SACDs sound fantastic in DP-II. TD's music needs to be heard in surround.

Now listening to phaedra.

I'm not really familiar with Zappa's music, other than having heard his name mentioned when people were discussing "uncommon" time signatures, but reading that, he sure sounds like an original "wacko"! :D (and once again, the language barrier lend me to miss the point earlier; "feeling dirty" doesn't have a connotation in french.. oops!)

Hi Ji Eff,
I posted the line from "My Guitar..." because the comment from Gos reminded me of it. I believe Gos was just joking about listening to music in Fake Quad since this site primarily deals with true surround releases. Zappa is definitely not for everyone, and although I am a huge fan, even I have a hard time appreciating some of his work. It was actually his use of odd time signatures, along with the humor, that got me interested in him back around 66/67. My 2 favorite songs by him that use odd times are the bridge sections from "Son of Suzy Creamcheese" from Absolutely Free, and the instrumental section from "Catholic Girls" from Joe's Garage. In case you want to check these out, be forewarned that "Catholic Girls" contains some pretty offensive lyrics.:yikes

P.S. I have downloaded your latest "glitch n' statik - 2016 - entre mars et vénus (5.1) flac" and will be listening to it later today.:music

Hi Ji Eff,
I posted the line from "My Guitar..." because the comment from Gos reminded me of it. I believe Gos was just joking about listening to music in Fake Quad since this site primarily deals with true surround releases. Zappa is definitely not for everyone, and although I am a huge fan, even I have a hard time appreciating some of his work. It was actually his use of odd time signatures, along with the humor, that got me interested in him back around 66/67. My 2 favorite songs by him that use odd times are the bridge sections from "Son of Suzy Creamcheese" from Absolutely Free, and the instrumental section from "Catholic Girls" from Joe's Garage. In case you want to check these out, be forewarned that "Catholic Girls" contains some pretty offensive lyrics.:yikes

P.S. I have downloaded your latest "glitch n' statik - 2016 - entre mars et vénus (5.1) flac" and will be listening to it later today.:music

hahaha - of course I was kidding....I of all people listen to fake surround, PL II, specweb...whatever works. I'm seldom very serious...at least on this forum. Now, when I talk about my love of music...or specific discs...no joking there. :)

hahaha - of course I was kidding....I of all people listen to fake surround, PL II, specweb...whatever works. I'm seldom very serious...at least on this forum. Now, when I talk about my love of music...or specific discs...no joking there. :)

I knew that. I really like reading comments by you, Snood, Baggins, Fredblue and the others who keep it cheerful. I like being a bit of a clown myself when posting. When I read comments where it starts getting nasty it takes some of the fun out of being here. KUMBAYA QQer's. :brew

Har Har! - Yeah, there's a photo where you can see the band bus, which had "SHWUSYRTITS" on the front display.

I may be wrong, but on Joe's garage there's a guitar solo with a very weird background beat. I'm not sure if I nailed it with On The Bus (originally Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt).

-Kristian

Har Har! - Yeah, there's a photo where you can see the band bus, which had "SHWUSYRTITS" on the front display.
I may be wrong, but on Joe's garage there's a guitar solo with a very weird background beat. I'm not sure if I nailed it with On The Bus (originally Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt).
-Kristian

Hi Kristian.
Would love to see that picture. I may have seen it at some point but I'm old so my memory is fuzzy.

Some clarification. I'm looking at both the original vinyl album and the CD of Joe's Garage. The CD song Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt was originally titled Wet T-Shirt Nite on the album and The Wet T-Shirt Contest in the libretto/credit booklet of the CD, and On The Bus from the CD was originally called Toad-O Line. Pages 10 & 11 of the booklet show the original titles. Don't know why Frank felt the titles needed to be changed.

Joe's Garage if full of odd time moments (as is all of Frank's music). At 2:41 in On The Bus the band starts playing alternate measures of 4/4 & 5/4. Watermelon In Easter Hay is also 4/4 & 5/4 throughout the track but at a slower pace. As I stated earlier in this thread, my favorite is the instrumental section of Catholic Girls which is 9/8, 9/8, 7/8, 7/8 played 3 times then 11/8, 11/8, and that whole thing is then repeated.

Thanks for your reply. I love talking about Frank. :cool:

Hi Ji Eff,

I just had a listen to Catholic Girls and Son of Suzy Creemcheese; I just looove that 60s vibe in the latter :D
I couldn't stop there and found a youtube playlist for Absolutely Free.. I thought Plastic People is really something for both its progressive (and quirky) wanderings, and those lyrics.. (haha) with the president's intro :p And that groove beginning Call Any Vegetable.. bluesy-jazzy rhodes solos, yodeling!, and the tempo that starts climbing at 3:12 to bring us to this "all hell break loose" part.. that's not only music; it's a crazy ride! "God Bless America" :D Isn't he using recurrent "themes" throughout the album? Like that four notes "motif" I thought I heard in both Call Any Vegetables and Invocation & Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin. "There's a bomb to blow your mommy up, a bomb for your daddy too!" Being a hardcore fan of horror film music I fell in love with the creepy breaks in Brown Shoes Don't Make it. "what would you do, daddy?" lol.

I was kinda scared of what I'd find when I went to listen to Zappa, but it turned out freakin' entertaining! (Now I gotta find Absolutely Free on CD)

*Ok, now I realized I probably heard different intrepretations.. that probably explains the "theme recurrence", since Call Any Vegetable is supposed to be only 2:19, and the one I've heard is 7:26. ¿medley?

[video=youtube;IC_wcFDpLmw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC_wcFDpLmw[/video]

Any chance to find this particuliar one on CD ?

Thank you for this little push I needed to pop my Zappa cherry !

edit: found where this version of Call Any Vegetable is from.. the live album "Just Another Band from L.A." ...woo!

Last edited:
I just had a listen to Catholic Girls and Son of Suzy Creemcheese; I just looove that 60s vibe in the latter :D
I couldn't stop there and found a youtube playlist for Absolutely Free.. I thought Plastic People is really something for both its progressive (and quirky) wanderings, and those lyrics.. (haha) with the president's intro :p And that groove beginning Call Any Vegetable.. bluesy-jazzy rhodes solos, yodeling!, and the tempo that starts climbing at 3:12 to bring us to this "all hell break loose" part.. that's not only music; it's a crazy ride! "God Bless America" :D Isn't he using recurrent "themes" throughout the album? Like that four notes "motif" I thought I heard in both Call Any Vegetables and Invocation & Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin. "There's a bomb to blow your mommy up, a bomb for your daddy too!" Being a hardcore fan of horror film music I fell in love with the creepy breaks in Brown Shoes Don't Make it. "what would you do, daddy?" lol.
I was kinda scared of what I'd find when I went to listen to Zappa, but it turned out freakin' entertaining! (Now I gotta find Absolutely Free on CD)
*Ok, now I realized I probably heard different intrepretations.. that probably explains the "theme recurrence", since Call Any Vegetable is supposed to be only 2:19, and the one I've heard is 7:26. ¿medley?
Thank you for this little push I needed to pop my Zappa cherry !
edit: found where this version of Call Any Vegetable is from.. the live album "Just Another Band from L.A." ...woo!

Hi Ji Eff,
Glad you enjoyed the Zappa tracks.
The version of Call Any Vegetable from Just Another Band From L.A. is a reworking of the original version from the Absolutely Free album. The original was actually broken down into 3 sections... 1) Call Any Vegetable (2:19), 2) Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin (7:00) & 3) Soft-Sell Conclusion (1:40). Most live performances just use the main CAV title.
If you listen to the original Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin, about 10 seconds in there is a bridge section which is actually a motif from Jupiter from Holst's The Planets. Frank loved dropping classical lines into his songs. In Fountain Of Love from Ruben and The Jets, the background singers are singing a line from Rite of Spring by Stravinsky.

The line about the bomb is from Uncle Bernie's Farm. That song is about the commercialization of toys that promote violence, such as war toys.
Brown Shoes Don't Make It (what would you do daddy) is about politicians and some of their strange indulgences.

Overall, I love the Absolutely Free album. I think the albums by the original Mothers ('66-'70) are the best. Going back to the odd times issue, you may want to check out Flower Punk from We're Only In It For The Money. It is a reworking of the song Hey Joe (at that time recorded by Jimi Hendrix who appears on the cover), but instead of straight 4/4, it is comprised of 4 measures of 5/8 followed by 4 measures of 7/8 repeated throughout.

I also think Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh and Uncle Meat would all appeal to you. If you get past the potty lyrics (that's one thing I'm not big on in his music) and just get into the music, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy them. (The potty lyrics apply mostly to the Flo & Eddie period recordings).
Ed :music

Hi Ji Eff,
Glad you enjoyed the Zappa tracks.
The version of Call Any Vegetable from Just Another Band From L.A. is a reworking of the original version from the Absolutely Free album. The original was actually broken down into 3 sections... 1) Call Any Vegetable (2:19), 2) Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin (7:00) & 3) Soft-Sell Conclusion (1:40). Most live performances just use the main CAV title.
If you listen to the original Invocation and Ritual Dance of the Young Pumpkin, about 10 seconds in there is a bridge section which is actually a motif from Jupiter from Holst's The Planets. Frank loved dropping classical lines into his songs. In Fountain Of Love from Ruben and The Jets, the background singers are singing a line from Rite of Spring by Stravinsky.

The line about the bomb is from Uncle Bernie's Farm. That song is about the commercialization of toys that promote violence, such as war toys.
Brown Shoes Don't Make It (what would you do daddy) is about politicians and some of their strange indulgences.

Overall, I love the Absolutely Free album. I think the albums by the original Mothers ('66-'70) are the best. Going back to the odd times issue, you may want to check out Flower Punk from We're Only In It For The Money. It is a reworking of the song Hey Joe (at that time recorded by Jimi Hendrix who appears on the cover), but instead of straight 4/4, it is comprised of 4 measures of 5/8 followed by 4 measures of 7/8 repeated throughout.

I also think Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh and Uncle Meat would all appeal to you. If you get past the potty lyrics (that's one thing I'm not big on in his music) and just get into the music, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy them. (The potty lyrics apply mostly to the Flo & Eddie period recordings).
Ed :music

Hey Ed!

Thanks for this enlightening little "walkthrough" into Zappa's music :D
I'll certaintly have a listen to the titles you suggested! The potty words aren't really an issue for me as I never "hear" the lyrics themselves if I don't I focus on them, unless they're in french..

I found "Just Another Band From L.A." and "Absolutely Free" on amazon.ca, and will start with one of them (probably the live one first).

Cheers! :upthumb

Hey Ed!

Thanks for this enlightening little "walkthrough" into Zappa's music :D
I'll certaintly have a listen to the titles you suggested! The potty words aren't really an issue for me as I never "hear" the lyrics themselves if I don't I focus on them, unless they're in french..

I found "Just Another Band From L.A." and "Absolutely Free" on amazon.ca, and will start with one of them (probably the live one first).

Cheers! :upthumb

Hi Ji Eff. Just be forewarned that on the Just Another Band CD there is a song called Magdelena about a man that came from Montreal !!! :yikes lol

You will love your "Canadian Daddy"...

-Kristian

Welcome to the club, my friend! You are now very close to a lifetime addiction to Frank's music! :)

And very soon, perhaps after one year of listening to the music, you'll start to ask yourself the question: "Who the hell is this Zappa?"

You have the choice between roughly 100 official releases, and countless unofficial releases to explore. Good luck, my friend...

-Kristian

Welcome to the club, my friend! You are now very close to a lifetime addiction to Frank's music! :)

And very soon, perhaps after one year of listening to the music, you'll start to ask yourself the question: "Who the hell is this Zappa?"

You have the choice between roughly 100 official releases, and countless unofficial releases to explore. Good luck, my friend...

-Kristian

It won't be so hard to resist going nuts "all-at-once"... my wallet always stood between me and my "addictions" :mad:@:

"Broke as a joke".. isn't that an expression I read here somewhere?

McCartney & Ram - by that bass player guy. :spot Both came out nice, but McCartney was a little more discrete in the rears.

LOL. In way of explanation, due to the songs on the McCartney album having sparse instrumentation, the rear speakers at times had solitary instruments in them. Ram, having a lot more instrumentation on most songs, had multiple voices and instruments in the rears. This was not a bad thing, just a difference in how they each converted. They both sounded great. :music

Back