Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ELP Brain Salad Surgery DVD-A pcm 5.1. Are there only two ELP surround releases?

Nope, there's 4. You already brought up "Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery", but there's also the self-titled debut album and "Tarkus".
Both were remixed by Steven Wilson and released in 2012.

:)

There are surround mixes of the first 4 ELP releases: CD+DVD-A releases of the self-titled first album and Tarkus (with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes on both), Trilogy CD+DVD-A (5.1 mix by Jakko) and two 5.1 mixes of Brain Salad Surgery, the 2000 DVD-A by Paul Klingberg & John Kellogg (with Lucky Man as a bonus track) and the recent super-deluxe edition box that had a DVD-A with a 5.1 mix by Jakko that has what sounds like a mixing error (super loud bass guitar) in Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression.

There are surround mixes of the first 4 ELP releases: CD+DVD-A releases of the self-titled first album and Tarkus (with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes on both), Trilogy CD+DVD-A (5.1 mix by Jakko) and two 5.1 mixes of Brain Salad Surgery, the 2000 DVD-A by Paul Klingberg & John Kellogg (with Lucky Man as a bonus track) and the recent super-deluxe edition box that had a DVD-A with a 5.1 mix by Jakko that has what sounds like a mixing error (super loud bass guitar) in Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression.
Thank you, off to Amazon I go, unless another site is exclusive to these issues.

Hmm, expensive little mothers, the 2 CD's Deluxe stereo are a dime a dozen, but the 3 disc with 5.1 are used at 50 for self titled and 75 for Tarkus, I need to think.

Wow, mine is still enroute from D~V.........how does it sound, Lute?

It sounds great, Ralphie! Right up there with PentaTone's RQR series. Julian Bream's lute & guitar are mainly in the front speakers with the orchestra creating a more immersive, wrap around effect. The performances of the baroque pieces may not be quite as HIP (historically informed performance) as we've come to expect today. But, I still find them very enjoyable. Gardiner draws fresh, lively playing from the Monteverdi orchestra and Bream is in good form.

It sounds great, Ralphie! Right up there with PentaTone's RQR series. Julian Bream's lute & guitar are mainly in the front speakers with the orchestra creating a more immersive, wrap around effect. The performances of the baroque pieces may not be quite as HIP (historically informed performance) as we've come to expect today. But, I still find them very enjoyable. Gardiner draws fresh, lively playing from the Monteverdi orchestra and Bream is in good form.

Wow, I guess it got to Japan extra fast. Hopefully mine will arrive soon as well.

We're really spoiled for the Concierto de Aranjuez in quad. We have John Williams (Sony SACD, still available from Japan), Yepes on Pentatone, and now Bream on D-V. Throw in the Romeros on 3-channel Mercury and it's an embarrassment of archival riches. There's also another Pentatone release with the Romeros doing different works by Rodrigo and others: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2019

Edit to add: It looks like the Bream disc is 1.5 quad LPs, with Lennox Berkeley's Guitar Concerto not included. Given that the Berkeley piece was new at the time and is almost certainly still in copyright that makes sense.

Wow, I guess it got to Japan extra fast. Hopefully mine will arrive soon as well.

We're really spoiled for the Concierto de Aranjuez in quad. We have John Williams (Sony SACD, still available from Japan), Yepes on Pentatone, and now Bream on D-V. Throw in the Romeros on 3-channel Mercury and it's an embarrassment of archival riches. There's also another Pentatone release with the Romeros doing different works by Rodrigo and others: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2019

Edit to add: It looks like the Bream disc is 1.5 quad LPs, with Lennox Berkeley's Guitar Concerto not included. Given that the Berkeley piece was new at the time and is almost certainly still in copyright that makes sense.

How would you describe the sound of the Williams SACD? The only review I found online was from sa-cd.net and the reviewer was less than generous about it. I'd love to add it to my collection but if the sound is so/so, I'd pass.

How would you describe the sound of the Williams SACD? The only review I found online was from sa-cd.net and the reviewer was less than generous about it. I'd love to add it to my collection but if the sound is so/so, I'd pass.

There's a review here too: http://www.classicalcdreview.com/MC77.html. It's been a while since I listened, I can try to do so tonight.

I feel obliged to mention that, regarding BSS the 2000 DVD-A by Paul Klingberg & John Kellogg is the real deal. so much better than the recent super deluxe DVD-A (of course this is strictly my opinion, ymmv)

Gotta be honest here, I don't even remember that I have this. Found it in my closet and went ahead and ripped it. Heck, I think it sounds pretty good. Is this one also part of the box set you'all been talking about? No clue where I bought it...so if yes, that means I have 2 Genesis titles from that box. wow!

F2741D32-1113-4733-A751-E42C5CD47428.jpg

Gotta be honest here, I don't even remember that I have this. Found it in my closet and went ahead and ripped it. Heck, I think it sounds pretty good. Is this one also part of the box set you'all been talking about? No clue where I bought it...so if yes, that means I have 2 Genesis titles from that box. wow!

F2741D32-1113-4733-A751-E42C5CD47428.jpg

That particular Genesis album is part of the 1983-1998 box set, which also contains "Genesis", "We Can't Dance", and "Calling All Stations". The first two mentioned come highly recommended by yours truly. (But "Calling All Stations" is pretty good too.)

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just listened to Donald Fagen The Nightly DVD-A and was wondering, was the onscreen artwork created for the DVD release or was it also part of the vinyl album art?

It was created for the DVD-Audio. Both this and Kamakiriad have very nice onscreen artwork.

Have been listening to my Depeche Mode SACD's this week.First Exciter and Ultra,today first Violator,now Songs of Faith and Devotion.Really love this disc's.:sun

Back