Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just completing the entire DVD-A of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk.

A very neatly done surround mix that is the star of this gigantic 20 song hangover after the phenomenal success from the 2 previous records.

The songs are dour, the performances are professional, yet not overly engaging. The Stevie Nicks songs (well done and energetic) are like from another party down the hall.

I'll drag it out again in another year. Maybe it will grow on me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found a DVD-A playlist I've started compiling (and abandoned shortly after) few years ago - hell, I'm game!
Haven't heard most of these in a long time, it's perfectly varied and overall more than enjoyable. Biggest surprise - both tunes by Barenaked Ladies!
Listened to in alphabetical order:

Barenaked Ladies "Down To Earth" (Barenaked Ladies Are Men DVD-A)
Barenaked Ladies "Easy" (Barenaked Ladies Are Me DVD-A)
BJ Cole "Are You Ready For Some Country" (Trouble In Paradise DVD-A)
Bon Jovi "Livin' On A Prayer" (Slippery When Wet DVD-A)
Billy Cobham "Spectrum" (Spectrum DVD-A)
David Crosby "What Are Their Names" (If I Could Only Remember My Name DVD-A)
Sheryl Crow "There Goes The Neighborhood" (The Globe Sessions DVD-A)
Missy Elliott "Dog In Heat" (Miss E ...So Addictive DVD-A)
Missy Elliott "Get Ur Freak On" (Miss E ...So Addictive DVD-A)
Everclear "Everything To Everyone" (So Much For The Afterglow DVD-A)
Keane "Everybody's Changing" (Hopes And Fears DVD-A)
Mark Knopfler "Postcards From Paraguay" (Shangri-La DVD-A)

SNcoykQ.jpg

:smokin

DVD-A playlist part 2, random order this time.
The transition from Mineral (not a Silverline winner) to Toy Matinee was overwhelming. Great cover of Paranoid!

Mineral "The Last Word Is Rejoice" (End Serenading DVD-A)
Toy Matinee "Last Plane Out" (Toy Matinee DVD-A)
Boz Scaggs "Payday" (Dig DVD-A)
Eric Clapton "So Tired" (Back Home DVD-A)
Mainframe & Platonic "Future's Oldest Story" (V.A. - Pixelated Pulse DVD-A)
Josh One "Midnight Samba" (Narrow Path DVD-A)
The Crystal Method "Born Too Slow" (Legion Of Boom DVD-A)
SHeDAISY "A Night To Remember" (The Whole SHeBANG DVD-A)
Gus Black "Paranoid" (Uncivilized Love DVD-A)
Anathema "Dreaming Light" (We're Here Because We're Here DVD-A)
Porcupine Tree "Disappear" (Lightbulb Sun DVD-A)
Steve Stevens "Letter To A Memory" (Flamenco.A.Go.Go DVD-A)

Toby Keith: Shock'n Y'all (SACD)

Hee Haw. Couldn't resist!

I'm been playing my Audio Fidelity mch discs: Super Session, the MAGNIFICENT Laura Nyro, Best of Bread, Child Is Father To The Man (UNBELIEVABLE) and the Loggins and Messina SACDs. To my ears and on my system they are some of the best sounding surround mixes available.

I'm been playing my Audio Fidelity mch discs: Super Session, the MAGNIFICENT Laura Nyro, Best of Bread, Child Is Father To The Man (UNBELIEVABLE) and the Loggins and Messina SACDs. To my ears and on my system they are some of the best sounding surround mixes available.

I agree - they have a nice smooth sound. I wish all of the 70's mch discs sounded that good. For that matter, I wish there were about 20-30 more 70's mch discs in the pipeline!!!!

I agree - they have a nice smooth sound. I wish all of the 70's mch discs sounded that good. For that matter, I wish there were about 20-30 more 70's mch discs in the pipeline!!!!

Gene, I ONLY wish modern rock 'n roll had as much passion and soulfulness as those 60, 70 and early 80 titles. I know a lot of QQers weren't fond of the Laura Nyro disc....but that woman had soul to spare and I did mention that Sir Elton John and Elvis Costello were mega huge fans of hers.

And yes, WE WANT MORE SURROUND titles from Audio Fidelity. Or SONY Japan and even Dutton Vocalion [enough with the easy listening titles, por favor].

Am really rooting for a magnificent 5.1 remix of Sgt. Pepper as that title may singlehandedly open the floodgate for more surround releases.:banana:

Agree with ya 100%, Ralphie!
A million thanks to AF for giving us those Quad albums on SACD. :worthy

Toby Keith: Shock'n Y'all is a FANTASTIC!! Sure, he wears his national pride on his sleeve, but this is one of my favorite (relatively speaking new 2003 ;) ) Country Western albums. On top of that, the fidelity and the 5.1 mix are great! :51banana:

Agree with ya 100%, Ralphie!
A million thanks to AF for giving us those Quad albums on SACD. :worthy

Toby Keith: Shock'n Y'all is a FANTASTIC!! Sure, he wears his national pride on his sleeve, but this is one of my favorite (relatively speaking new 2003 ;) ) Country Western albums. On top of that, the fidelity and the 5.1 mix are great! :51banana:

I agree. I been playing the Toby Keith and Lee Ann Womack Greatest Hits DVD~As all last week.

Another highly recommended title https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MCI0Y4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LOVE, LOVE this album and good but not awesome discrete use of the surrounds. In DTS/DD 5.1 but on my system it sounds marvelous! If you like POCO, you'll LOVE this one, Brett. BTW, it's technically not a dual disc but rather two separate discs: 1 RBCD and 1 DVD~V.

I agree. I been playing the Toby Keith and Lee Ann Womack Greatest Hits DVD~As all last week.

Another highly recommended title https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MCI0Y4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LOVE, LOVE this album and good but not awesome discrete use of the surrounds. In DTS/DD 5.1 but on my system it sounds marvelous! If you like POCO, you'll LOVE this one, Brett. BTW, it's technically not a dual disc but rather two separate discs: 1 RBCD and 1 DVD~V.

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered Paul Cotton. If done right, DTS is fine with me.

Playing Lee Ann Womack now. Yep, lovely album. Another fav of mine. Lucky to have it in Hirez surround! Her voice reminds me of Dolly Parton. Life is beautiful in surround. :D

So you think that the Laura Nyro is on par with these others sound- and mixwise? To me it is in another inferiour league compared to the others you mention, but maybe it is because i struggle a bit to really enjoy the musical content...

So you think that the Laura Nyro is on par with these others sound- and mixwise? To me it is in another inferiour league compared to the others you mention, but maybe it is because i struggle a bit to really enjoy the musical content...

ABSOLUTELY. It's the first time I'm hearing Laura Nyro without the 'tizzy' highs and yes, I did apply a +5 db bass boost which gave her voice a fuller texture. On my system, this albums sounds MAGNIFICENT. Poverty Train sounds transcendent! And yes, I have a kick ass system.

I've had this album in many incarnations and I'm very familiar with the material. You cannot believe how many famous artists have paid homage to this once in a lifetime singer/songwriter. This music is in my blood. And the AF 4.0 SACD is the transfusion.

ABSOLUTELY. It's the first time I'm hearing Laura Nyro without the 'tizzy' highs and yes, I did apply a +5 db bass boost which gave her voice a fuller texture. On my system, this albums sounds MAGNIFICENT. Poverty Train sounds transcendent! And yes, I have a kick ass system.

I've had this album in many incarnations and I'm very familiar with the material. You cannot believe how many famous artists have paid homage to this once in a lifetime singer/songwriter. This music is in my blood. And the AF 4.0 SACD is the transfusion.

OK, I hear you ;)

You have convinced me to give it another chance - this time i will boost the bass a bit to see if i get more engaged. Come to think about it, I think I found it a bit bass shy and anemic...

Back