Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRACK ELEVEN: Good Morning, Good Morning

The starting roosters are in the center and fronts, not the rears. All of the vocals are in the fronts, including the "Good Morning"s. The rears have mostly the orchestra, but the orchestra is also in the fronts. However, there are animal sounds at the end that move around sweeping from the front to the rear left. At the end of the song, the clucking is now in the rears as the song segues into the next tune, the reprise.

View attachment 29460
One of the best cuts on the album. It sounds like a drum solo now but I like it like that.

I first listened to the 5.1 mix and then the Stereo mix (flipping between DPLIIx and L7 processing) then back to the 5.1. I very much prefer the 5.1 mix over Stereo-to-faux-surround. But I got lost in the music with both the 5.1 and Stereo-to-faux-surround, and that's a good thing.

Should you believe that the 5.1 is not immersive sounding enough, try cranking up the surrounds. That's what I did and it was more enjoyable listening to the 5.1 the second time through. Oh, and I notice things in the 5.1 mix that are more apparent than when listening to the old stereo and mono mixes. So I don't agree with the SDE review on this matter.

As Jon said, Penny Lane is really outstanding especially compared to what we are used to hearing.

These graphs confirm my listening, the Love version will be my goto version. Not a lot of difference, but Love has more discreteness, especially nice is the aaaahs. The new mix kind of just sits there. It's pleasant, but coulda shoulda been better.

Well, I hear you and understand. However, I listened to it on my audio system and it really sounded great. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a 50 year old recording created with 1967 equipment and techniques and basically using 4 tracks. This really hits home when you watch the 25th anniversary documentary on the BluRay and see George Martin sliding the 4 faders for the master tracks. That's all he has/had.

I think it would be pretty difficult to get an extremely discrete result with the limitations of the source material. So remember to keep that in mind.

Again, I sat my wife down and we listened all the way through and I have to say it sounds terrific. She loved it.

Think about the early days of QQ and how we all dreamed of a real Beatles release on DVD-A or SACD. Well, here it is. Official, 5.1, classic album that's not a stage show or film soundtrack or documentary. OK, so it's a BluRay. We can make our own DVD-A or .flac.

So in conclusion - - - -bring on the White Album!! :phones

One more thing. The two videos allow you to select 5.1 audio but that's not what I got. Stereo only.

Anyone else have this same issue?

A bit off topic on this thread, but after listening to the BD~A of Sgt Pepper for a second time, it is a REAL shame that Steve Wilson's brilliant/WILDLY discrete remix of Jethro Tull's Song From The Woods wasn't likewise released as a LOSSLESS BD~A [like the stellar Aqualung]. And I almost feel guilty for lodging this complaint as I ONLY paid $25 delivered for the 5 disc set of SFTW and as usual, the MLP DVD~A 96/24 Stereo remaster blows away the lossy DTS 5.1 ON MY SYSTEM!

Well, I hear you and understand. However, I listened to it on my audio system and it really sounded great. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a 50 year old recording created with 1967 equipment and techniques and basically using 4 tracks. This really hits home when you watch the 25th anniversary documentary on the BluRay and see George Martin sliding the 4 faders for the master tracks. That's all he has/had.

I think it would be pretty difficult to get an extremely discrete result with the limitations of the source material. So remember to keep that in mind.

Again, I sat my wife down and we listened all the way through and I have to say it sounds terrific. She loved it.

Think about the early days of QQ and how we all dreamed of a real Beatles release on DVD-A or SACD. Well, here it is. Official, 5.1, classic album that's not a stage show or film soundtrack or documentary. OK, so it's a BluRay. We can make our own DVD-A or .flac.

I think the difference between this new version and the music in the LOVE album is profound....to me LOVE is like a sampler disc for surround...and it certainly is more discreet in the surround sense....BUT what it lacks is the real feeling of the time period when these songs were released...this new version takes me back in time...if I closed my eyes I'm right back in the 60's..I can just see those "virtual joints" being passed around my living room when I heard "with a little help from my friends"...for those of us that lived in those times and heard these songs...it's very special....as much as I liked the LOVE disc for the surround quality...it never gave me that feeling....if you are a Beatle fan...or just loved their music "back in the day"....it is a ticket to ride in the time machine..

Another thing that you pointed out was that there were limitations of the source material....spot on...it's easy for us to say things like "put this over here and that should have gone here"...but not always possible on vintage tapes produced by the modest equipment of the day...and I thought Milt made a valid point about the context of the music itself...although we all cringe when record people mention things like keeping the integrity of the music intact(I did when I heard that)....there is some truth to that...some music just wouldn't sound right if it was ultra discreet....unlike 1+ which was very conservative and was really geared for video.....I think they pushed the boundaries as close to the edge as possible on this release without sounding gimmicky and still retained the original "sound"....

I will echo your thoughts on this release...never thought it would happen...glad it did...and bring on Prudence...Bungalow Bill...Rocky Racoon..and Sexy Sadie!:cool:

I think the difference between this new version and the music in the LOVE album is profound....to me LOVE is like a sampler disc for surround...and it certainly is more discreet in the surround sense....BUT what it lacks is the real feeling of the time period when these songs were released...this new version takes me back in time...if I closed my eyes I'm right back in the 60's..I can just see those "virtual joints" being passed around my living room when I heard "with a little help from my friends"...for those of us that lived in those times and heard these songs...it's very special....as much as I liked the LOVE disc for the surround quality...it never gave me that feeling....if you are a Beatle fan...or just loved their music "back in the day"....it is a ticket to ride in the time machine..

Another thing that you pointed out was that there were limitations of the source material....spot on...it's easy for us to say things like "put this over here and that should have gone here"...but not always possible on vintage tapes produced by the modest equipment of the day...and I thought Milt made a valid point about the context of the music itself...although we all cringe when record people mention things like keeping the integrity of the music intact(I did when I heard that)....there is some truth to that...some music just wouldn't sound right if it was ultra discreet....unlike 1+ which was very conservative and was really geared for video.....I think they pushed the boundaries as close to the edge as possible on this release without sounding gimmicky and still retained the original "sound"....

I will echo your thoughts on this release...never thought it would happen...glad it did...and bring on Prudence...Bungalow Bill...Rocky Racoon..and Sexy Sadie!:cool:

Clint, I have a whole different take regarding the LOVE album. First and foremost, it was an original soundtrack recording for a splashy Vegas extravaganza and as such, was simply brilliant. Also, it opened the floodgate for future 5.1 Beatles releases and showed how even the older Beatles material translated well to the surround medium. And if you think about it, the 81 minutes of LOVE was roughly equivalent to having 3 complete but 'disparate' Beatles albums on one DVD~A.

And compared to the primitive medium I first encountered Sgt. Pepper in [via a 3 3/4ips Open Reel Tape] on a low quality OR tape deck with detachable 'toy' speakers, hearing it in this resolution on my separate components/mega:yikeswatt/full range speaker system was really like experiencing it for the very first time.

I, personally, am literally in awe of what Giles/Sam accomplished with this Sgt. Pepper remix and I hope others will respect the direction both gentlemen engendered in preserving the integrity of the Beatle's original vision...without going overboard.....as I know some would've preferred.

Jon, my comments do take the limitations into account. I'm sharing my opinion of what I believe was possible with the source materials extant, pre bounce, and extracted by spectral techniques. It does sound great, but the mixing decisions could have been better in my opinion. The Love version of A Day In The Life is much more what I would have liked, the aaaaahs should have tastefully panned around, the alarm clock should have been in the rear, backing vocals could have been more discrete, etc. I agree with many of your points, but it doesn't change my opinion of what was possible, or preferable to me.

Jon, my comments do take the limitations into account. I'm sharing my opinion of what I believe was possible with the source materials extant, pre bounce, and extracted by spectral techniques. It does sound great, but the mixing decisions could have been better in my opinion. The Love version of A Day In The Life is much more what I would have liked, the aaaaahs should have tastefully panned around, the alarm clock should have been in the rear, backing vocals could have been more discrete, etc. I agree with many of your points, but it doesn't change my opinion of what was possible, or preferable to me.

Since Giles assisted his father in the remixing of the LOVE album, I'm sure he was well versed in how the LOVE album was remixed for 5.1. But I'm sure, as previously mentioned, that Paul, Ringo, Yoko and/or Olivia Harrison had input before they signed off on the final remix.

TOO many cooks spoil the broth so I'm sure if it was up to Giles he would've embraced a more discrete remix. Of course, we'll never know as I'm sure this remix is the definitive version we'll probably have to accept as the APPROVED remaining Beatle's version. Hopefully, the White Album with more multitrack elements to work from will be more adventuresome and won't have to adhere to that "Better in MONO" mentality which I suspect might've influenced the Sgt. Pepper remix. I can just envision Yoko remarking: "But John LOVED the MONO version of Sgt. Pepper." And John smirking from the Great Beyond: 'But THAT was before Protools, Lovey!" http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RNUTOLMmK...AGk/DOgE0K86bSI/s1600/imagine-john-lennon.jpg

I received my deluxe box set from Amazon around 3:00 pm pacific time. I decided at 5:30 pm that I was going to play "Love" first and fell asleep half way through it. I woke up just as it was ending and stared at the deluxe box wondering if I should open it. Well, I'm still sitting here staring at it playing 'other' surround titles.:yikes

By the way, I received this box set in pristine condition.

IMG_0064.jpgIMG_0065.jpgIMG_0066.jpg

Definitely the best Sgt Pepper has ever sounded. And finally the mono mix on CD. Listened to the 5.1 mix 3x today. I am hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg for The Beatles catalog!

I received the box yesterday.
Like others I also thought they packed this holy grail wrong with vinyl! :)

I've read Paul's words on the 5.1 mix before, but I say...this is a stellar surround mix.
Everything is done the right way.
Giles had respect and mixed the songs (4 track tape) in a lovely way.

There is warm bass, more than ever and I think it is the right descision
not to overdo effects on the rears.

This is an album I first heard when I was 1,5 years old.
So this is my debut!

I give a 10, because my heart and soul is touched with this wonderful set. :)

TRACK THIRTEEN: A Day in the Life

Of course, the masterpiece of the album. Wow. This sounds great, and I cued up the LOVE version for a direct comparison as that was my go to version in the past, but this is so much better. At least, I think so. There are little things like the middle section "Woke up, got out of bed". In the LOVE version, Paul's vocal is in the rears. Not here. Only instruments. The better levels on this version make the work sound much richer. As I said, it's my opinion so you may think otherwise.

Look at the end of the wav file and you can see the run out groove and the extra bits from the UK album.

View attachment 29462

Curious...the rears seem not balanced in volume.
I saw the same in the waveforms of Within Or Without You.
A mistake?

Curious...the rears seem not balanced in volume.
I saw the same in the waveforms of Within Or Without You.
A mistake?

yes i noticed that from looking at Jon's waveform pics (mono rears on some tracks, maybe!?) plus it looks to me like either the front channels have been mastered louder than the rears (bit like the Bowie Station To Station 5.1) or it was just mixed that way?

yes i noticed that from looking at Jon's waveform pics (mono rears on some tracks, maybe!?) plus it looks to me like either the front channels have been mastered louder than the rears (bit like the Bowie Station To Station 5.1) or it was just mixed that way?

Hmmm, they seem to have identical information, so I doubt they are mono signals.

For any fence sitters such as myself, there is a price drop already on Amazon.ca. From CD $190 down to CD $160 (still with free shipping).

Wait a few more weeks and it should be down to a very reasonable price. Or better yet maybe a 5.1 only config will be announced?

Back