Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraftwerk - The Catalogue

It's going to take me a while to get all the way through this set but so far it's amazingly good, really glad I got in on the good price from Amazon UK.

413I9RHdVZL.jpg

The Carpenters- "Singles 1969-1981" 5.1 SACD- The last song on this album is tripping me out... "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"... over 7 minutes long, alien voices, rocket sounds, almost progressive (could be a Steven Wilson song... if it wasn't the Carpenters)... actually pretty coool with a great mix. Perfect way to end this guilty pleasure of an album. A voice like butter, that woman had. Love that song "Superstar" about a broken-hearted groupie. And what a guitar solo on "Goodbye To Love" (in addition to playing drums and bass, few people know that she also played this solo:smokin)

(just kiddin)

Been spinning a couple of my "Samplers" lately.

The Rolling Stone R.S.500 SACD fr.2003

Came with all the R.S.magazines for the 500 picks THEY made. Lotza missing albums and artists in THEIR picks btw.
(Example : 1 peter gabriel title, but no Genesis !!)

There are some very good picks, though. Even amongst the controversy. :)

I like the picks on this disc btw.

20170531_191436.jpg20170531_191450.jpg

That was the rumour at the time, but it turned out not to be true as Klaatu were a real band!

Looks like Klaatu were produced by Terry Brown... isn't that the guy who produced the classic Rush albums? I think I'm going to check out a Klaatu album! (self-titled, maybe?)

Looks like Klaatu were produced by Terry Brown... isn't that the guy who produced the classic Rush albums? I think I'm going to check out a Klaatu album! (self-titled, maybe?)

Yes its the Terry Brown who worked with Rush. They didn't do that many albums, but in my opinion the second one Hope is by far the best, and is the most progressive. The first one is pretty good too, and that's the one with Calling Occupants on it, but more song based overall.

Another Sampler

DVDA from DTS ENTERTAINMENT. Some very good tracks for a surround sampler , and they will give your rear speakers the required thrill.
Gotta say DTS ENT. discs (and HDS) be they DTS CD or DVDA , always tend to showcase the surround channels, so they're a Collectors Choice.

Never bought Queen-The Game DVDA as most of the Queen's best tunes are available on my Greatest Hits DVD'S in 92/24 DTS and also on my "Night At The Opera " DVDA.
But I do like "Dragon Attack " on this Sampler. (y)

20170531_191348.jpg20170531_191403.jpg

Kraftwerk - The Catalogue 3-D
moving on to the second blu-ray disc, starting with Computer World set.

413I9RHdVZL.jpg

Graham Nash - Songs For Beginners - DVD-A - Haven't played this one much... Time for another spin.

Really like this one! Also have the Crosby IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER MY NAME.

I once contacted Stephan Barncard (who was the original engineer on the Crosby, and did the multi conversion) about if there was any chance he would turning Paul Kantner's BLOWS AGAINST THE EMPIRE multi -- my head spins just thinking of the second side multi!!! -- and he replied that it would need funding from a company (didn't sound too hopeful).

A shame. I've even thought about crowd-funding it -- only need 50,000 dollars according to Barncard :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Last night DTS 96/24...I felt like it...the MCH mix is a bit..weird..it's like Stereo in front and the rest in stereo in the rears..very little interaction between FR and RE...still, a great album...although it's a revisionist mix (no gated drums!!!...but that was PHIL'S trademark sound!!!!)
R-2662543-1457636927-2760.jpeg.jpg

Kraftwerk - 3-D The Catalogue
I wasn't going to get this but I went to visit my friend this week he has got it and he played some of it to me (Autobahn, Computer World, Trans-Europe Express) and I immediately caved in, got on the phone to the nearest HMV and got them to put one away for me, then drove over, and let the plastic take the strain:yikes wincing all the way, but wow isn't it good? YES! the book hurts on my knees if I leave it on them too long (cutting off the circulation) it is sooo heavy.

Kraftwerk%203-DPC_1.jpg

A snap of my Kraftwerk collection.:D these go back a few years, Autobahn was the first.

Kraftwerk%20Collection.jpg

Jethro Tull-Stand Up. DVD DTS

Sounds like a different disc (better of course ) with Steven Wilson's bold use of the rear speakers . You hear more in surround .:smokin

20170608_165526.jpg

I have the BGO 3-fer Chase CD's, but I don't have an SQ decoder.

Can you help me by identifying a couple spots with the circular demos?

Some have said that DPLII can be used as a poor-man's decoder. My Yamaha RX-A2050 has three DPLII modes: Movie, Music, and Game.

Maybe one of them will come close to the real thing.....

Thanks,
sbrom (Steve)

BGO CD set of these Chase albums arrived the other day.. got a chance to have the briefest of playarounds just now.

fwiw Track 1 of Pure Music in this BGO set does not resemble the SQ LP, in undecoded or decoded (by S.Master) form.
for one thing all the round the room panning is static in the centre, plus the mix just sounds different even in 2-ch.

also, while it doesn't sound too bad, there is atrocious tape drag in this track, which I don't recall hearing in the iTunes or Japanese Blu-Spec CD versions.

I'll try some more tracks out down the line but so far on the basis of the 1st trk alone, I don't think the BGO CD of Pure Music is the Quad unfortunately.

edit: in Trk 2, the guitar solo that pops up in rear left towards the end... is in front right on the CD when run thru the SQ decoder
(more horrendous - laughably bad tbh - tape drag at the very outro of this trk).

trk 3.. tape fluctuation throughout.. ugh.. I may snap this piece of shit in half in a minute.

trk 5: not in any doubt now, the CD is the Stereo, there's more reverb than in the SQ.. and there's short bursts of trumpet that do the 360 thing (FL, FR, RR..) in the SQ which are all just lumped into the CF on the CD when SQ decoded.

update: if you want to hear the Quad of Pure Music, I'd say don't waste your time on the BGO CD set. the CD does some fun things in PLII and different things when SQ decoded but its not the same as the (imho excellent) SQ LP.

Haven't spun this for so long, it is so much better than I remember. Deep Purple Machine Head Warner SACD, I think all the fiddling with settings when the Chicago Quadio came out continues to pay off.
Edit: Lazy seals the deal, fantastic. Must have needed it.

Back