Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh fizzywizzybizzylizzy!!!! :yikes
please don't mention that bloody Japanese Blu-Spec CD I shelled out an arm and a friggin leg for..!!! that one is so not SQ it hurts!! well at least my copy isn't :(

afaik every version of the 1st Chase Quad on CD (and the iTunes version.. and I am sure I was told by a QQ-er there are Hi-Res downloads of it somewhere too) is the SQ encoded master.. as for Pure Music, who knows!? meantime, once I get those BGO CDs maybe I will know! probably not but.. its fun to dream! :D

oh I think I got the info about the Chase stuff on CD being SQ from Mark Anderson's site btw does that sound right?

Fun to dream .......you bet cher britches ! :wave
But more fun lucking out on a QUAD find so hopefully a bum steer she ain't . FWIW--something's happening on those BGO 'S .

As to " who dun it" ?-well I duno but I jumped on it and am equally curious about the Neil Diamond disc , but it's musically not as great as Chase's Ace's .

Now-----Procol Harum's live BBC is one that shocks the shit outta me , if you don't got it , get it !! It's a welcome surprise for SQ , doesn't even sound live !

And FWIW I appreciate your critques of my posted info above all others . You have that unique quadro insight , mostly absent from cynics and critics. :sun

Damn that fizzing-fuzzyness.

Anyhew-Back to the shew ;

QUAD The Cosmic Jokers in SQ , (with Klause Schulse )

20170525_183746.jpg

20170525_183738.jpg

Tonight's Random Surround playlist:

Fleetwood Mac "Oh Diane" (Mirage DVD-V) Lindsey's Mac was made for surround:smokin
Porcupine Tree "Collapse The Light Into Earth" (In Absentia DVD-A)
Santana "Everybody's Everything" (Santana III Q8)
Chicago "Scrapbook" (Chicago X Quad BD-A)
Santana "Soul Sacrifice" (Santana SQ)
The Doobie Brothers "Black water" (What Once Were Vices are Now Habits QR)
Lee Ritenour "Shape Of My Heart" (Lee Ritenour's 6 String Theory DVD-A)
Santana "Evil Ways" (Santana SQ)
The Doobie Brothers "Long Train Runnin'" (The Captain And Me DVD-A)
Jackson Browne "Cocaine" (Running On Empty DVD-A)
Grateful Dead "Uncle John's Band" (Workingman's Dead DVD-A)
Roy Orbison "Crying" (Black & White Night DVD-A)
B.O.C. "Harvester of Eyes/Flaming Telepaths/Astronomy" (Secret Treaties SACD)

When I sit back and enjoy the fruits of collecting great surround sound tracks, I feel sad for all the ignorant souls out there who may never experience what we at the QQ experience every night! :phones

czPREby.jpg

I did like those Widespread Panic dvd-a's a lot- and read that they were good live - thus resulting in this concert dvd to arrive to my mailbox.

2008 dvd from a concert in 2000, 4:3 picture, typical dvd quality - and Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack. And yes, it's discrete :banana: , nice immersive soundstage with keys and congas in the rears - and good fidelty. Cool audience too :smokin

Edit: Now I know why some of the audience looked "cool" - and why there are spider web and pumkins on the stage, it's filmed on Halloween, hehe :banana::banana:

Thanks fizzywiggs.

I will try your suggestions for Yamaha-specific DSP modes this weekend. So far I'm very happy with DPLII-Music. Seems to provide the widest sound stage, and the most discrete instrument placement out of the DPLII modes available.

I also played Chase (S/T) and wow, it is very gimicky, in a sort of good way. The recording quality of this Chase S/T disc is poor, there's a constant hum in the background. Anything to distract from that is welcome :)

Thanks for the guideance,
Steve (sbrom)

If you find that the settings that you have engaged for SQ playback work best, then stick with what you know . I personally find DPL a bit lacking in my Yammy, so........a DSP adjusment seems to work best---for me .

My Chase (s/t) doesn't emit much in the way of interference but I didn't crank my Yammy so there you go, and shit yes lot's going on with that disc-----I was taken back when I first heard it--incredible I thought .

The Chase-Pure Music quad liner notes, are a happy coincidence --I think.

what the heck is that...I couldn't help but notice Dieter Dierks name on the back.....he was a big part of Scorpions during their big time (producer)

:)

Dieter Dierks !!!!????

Well yes Scorpions ., Gene.............but also quad mixed and quad encoded. Many, many, many other mostly German mostly (Omega-Hungarian , Nektar-British) Rock artists on the OHR/METRONOME/COSMIC label and the Bellaphon Bacillus label. (And one Passport title on Atlantic )

Probably close to 50 titles give or take . He's a true QUAD TONMEISTER GENIUS in my books. :upthumb

Grateful Dead-American Beauty. DVDA

A Beauty of a surround mix and sound from "Mickey Hart ". Wished he coulda mixed more Dead albums for surround as this is certainly a fine example of his 5.1 skills.
He did two other DVDA'S his own" Best of "on Ryko/360 and "Workingman's Dead " both fine mixes in their own rite :smokin

20170602_221331.jpg

1mQbo1K.jpg

This sounds really great, very nice recording, I only wish that Atom Heart Mother wold have been recorded with the same quality, I love the album but with a DR of 9 (and surely some other issues) it does not sound as good as Meddle :(

THE BAND-THE LAST WALTZ. DVDA mixed by Robbie Robertson no less, and it's well done I'd say .

-mostly live with lotz of iconic guest artists whom perform their own works (The Band do all their hits btw)

and some studio 5.1 from the Staples and Emmylou .

20170602_221408.jpg

This disc is one of my TOP 10 live surround discs .:sun

Allman Brothers live at Fillmore. Blu ray. Excellent sound. Can't say I was familiar with ABbefore getting this package but really enjoying it. IMG_00000679.jpg

More Quad music mixed by Dieter Dierks,

Gilles Zeitschiff in SQ quadro, kinda spacy music with the band of Cosmic Kourriers having fun in the studio.

20170603_211252.jpg20170603_211301.jpg20170603_211311.jpg

Not quite certain about this title but alot of these older quad Cosmic Courier discs are still available on cd.

Back