Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Beatles - SGT Pepper 5.1

This makes me very happy.....since Marpow always talks about his Macintosh.....I have this playing at 71db on my 150 watt Denon. :):)

57gQJqc.jpg

Finally got my box too :banana:

Had problems trying to rip the 6.1 Dolby True HD soundtrack into flac - so play mkv -> bitstream to receiver. It's loud and don't offer a great DR - but the 6.1 with +3dB to the rears (in reality -3 dB to the fronts + center) - sounds great :smokin

I have been listening to the Chicago(Chicago 2 Dvda) all week in the car and probably this is the most time I have ever given to this album, I know Chicago fans know this already, this thing is a masterpiece, its got so many musical highlights packed into this album.
I will need to get out the Bluray Quad boxset and give those some more listens as I don't think I give the rest of the albums enough listening time either, hopefully soon.

What the heck is that spock?

German progressive rock - Pink Floyd style - very nice :smokin

In fact, the vocalist sounds a lot like David Gilmour.

Would recoommend these multichannel albums too:

World through My Eyes, 2005 (SACD)
Wanted, 2014 (DVD Dolby Digital)

German progressive rock - Pink Floyd style - very nice :smokin

In fact, the vocalist sounds a lot like David Gilmour.

Would recoommend these multichannel albums too:

World through My Eyes, 2005 (SACD)
Wanted, 2014 (DVD Dolby Digital)

I found RPWL on youtube, nice. Found a new copy on Amazon for $13 shipped. Claims to be the CD/DVD version...hope so. :)

akcDV93.jpg

"Strange-sounds-and-drumming-coming-from-everywhere" (and a lot of silence) kind of music :mad:@: But it's kind of cool...

Wonderful recording, 5.1 in 192kHz (or 7.1 in 96kHz) - but look at the DR - 20!!! With some songs even higher than this - does the scale go that high?? Maybe it's not that fantastic - considering the type of music - but it sounds nevertheless spectacular :banana:

In the parts of the songs when it "takes off" I do get an urge to go to the kitchen and grab some pots and pans and join in the mayham :banana::banana:

BGO CD set of these Chase albums arrived the other day.. got a chance to have the briefest of playarounds just now.

fwiw Track 1 of Pure Music in this BGO set does not resemble the SQ LP, in undecoded or decoded (by S.Master) form.
for one thing all the round the room panning is static in the centre, plus the mix just sounds different even in 2-ch.

also, while it doesn't sound too bad, there is atrocious tape drag in this track, which I don't recall hearing in the iTunes or Japanese Blu-Spec CD versions.

I'll try some more tracks out down the line but so far on the basis of the 1st trk alone, I don't think the BGO CD of Pure Music is the Quad unfortunately.

edit: in Trk 2, the guitar solo that pops up in rear left towards the end... is in front right on the CD when run thru the SQ decoder
(more horrendous - laughably bad tbh - tape drag at the very outro of this trk).

trk 3.. tape fluctuation throughout.. ugh.. I may snap this piece of shit in half in a minute.

trk 5: not in any doubt now, the CD is the Stereo, there's more reverb than in the SQ.. and there's short bursts of trumpet that do the 360 thing (FL, FR, RR..) in the SQ which are all just lumped into the CF on the CD when SQ decoded.

update: if you want to hear the Quad of Pure Music, I'd say don't waste your time on the BGO CD set. the CD does some fun things in PLII and different things when SQ decoded but its not the same as the (imho excellent) SQ LP.

Oh bugger ! A coincidental surround disc. Sorry Adam, plays sooooooo very nice though.

PS (you did remember to shut off your center-correct ?)

A WOODY GUTHRIE TRIBUTE DVD DD 5.1

Woody's music was so basic folk/roots so this recording sounds just a wee bit out of place with all the updated sound processing, but it's a good chance to hear various artist's renditions .:D
Like Donovan's .

20170520_205625.jpg20170520_205605.jpg

Oh bugger ! A coincidental surround disc. Sorry Adam, plays sooooooo very nice though.

PS (you did remember to shut off your center-correct ?)

not to worry FW, at least we tried and tested it even if the end result wasn't the hoped for one.

i don't use the Centre channel with the SQ Surround Master stuff :)

not to worry FW, at least we tried and tested it even if the end result wasn't the hoped for one.

i don't use the Centre channel with the SQ Surround Master stuff :)

Yeah I guess your right, but now I'm bloody depressed .

That disc (both cd titles actually) overperform for stereo only, I just can't get over it--double shit !

FWIW I also bought it on a whim, because someone on QQ said it was likely SQ----oh well. Now it becomes a Dynaquad recommended I suppose.:rolleyes:

Rob Thomas Dualdisc DVD-A.
Really good mix. Never bought this due to bad reviews about the mix. Found this at the local thrift store for $2. Not sure why a lot of reviews mention about nothing in rear channels!!! Glad I got it.
fb34a3650813d1d0dc1aab60940308bb.jpg

THE DOORS

from the DVDA set album "Waiting For The Sun " a rather good sounding ------and long bonus track from The Lizard King with his super band of incredible artists.:smokin

A box set worthy of any Doors fan.btw.

20170610_165752.jpg

Back