Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xXanBKv.jpg

:smokin

Wife is out for the evening, kids just in bed, so I can listen to my 2 new arrivals -

Anthony Phillips - Slow Dance - dvd -v as usual with this series, and as usual the back cover mistakenly says its dvd - audio!
Anathema - The Optimist - bluray

And the wine tonight is Merlot :D

Edit - I've checked and the previous dvds in this Anthony Phillips series have of course been dvd-audios, but disappointingly this new one is a (wrongly labelled) dvd-v only. Like the more recent Esoteric Barclay James Harvest releases.

Its the first time I've ever heard this album before, but I'm liking it so far. Its like a mellower, less busy, Mike Oldfield work.

Wife is out for the evening, kids just in bed, so I can listen to my 2 new arrivals -

Anthony Phillips - Slow Dance - dvd -v as usual with this series, and as usual the back cover mistakenly says its dvd - audio!
Anathema - The Optimist - bluray

And the wine tonight is Merlot :D

Edit - I've checked and the previous dvds in this Anthony Phillips series have of course been dvd-audios, but disappointingly this new one is a (wrongly labelled) dvd-v only. Like the more recent Esoteric Barclay James Harvest releases.
Its the first time I've ever heard this album before, but I'm liking it so far. Its like a mellower, less busy, Mike Oldfield work.

Damn, that sucks!
The Anthony Phillips series was one of the more recent examples of DVD-A/V discs at their best (along with the King Crimson and Yes titles from Panegyric) so it makes me sad that this title has been reverted to DVD-V for its release, but it still infuriates that they still continue to put the wrong logo on these discs, which I essentially consider to be a spat in the face of those of us who still care about high-resolution audio.

I just want to scream at them, "Either put the right logo on there or don't put any f*cking logo on there at all!"
(n) :( :mad: :howl

ana-thema

The Optimist

I'm glad I didn't vote yet. I Put this on earlier and left the room. Came back and was very pleasantly surprised by what I heard. I truly need multiple listens before I vote. I'd say, my vote just increased from my first impression. :)

Maybe, easily worth the price of this disc....is YESTERDAY. A single on the surround disc, Boyz II Men. Wow!! Simply astonishing. :)

They do a wonderful version of Yesterday. I do play this dts cd from time to time - not my favourite music type - but the production, fidelty and surround-mix is excellent! And those guys can sing!

QcokXDW.jpg

This is a disc that I have only have played once before - the LFE channel way to hot. But now, with some minor Audacity skills - I took down the LFE channel by 8dB - and it sounds great!!!

cQNdmKG.jpg

It's a strange one - 44.1kHz/24 bit mlp.

After the positive experience with the Widespread Panic's Live from Austin TX dvd surround mix - I ordered another one - Lucinda Williams:

fwd5pr3.jpg

and this is discrete too - very nice dts surround mix, the only "negative" is that her voice is a little from all around too.

It makes me wonder if many of those shows, mixed for surround on dvd, are discrete too? Here is a list mixed by the same people:

http://www.terranovamastering.com/clients/dvd.html

I ordered a few more, Dwight Yoakam, Johnny Cash, Tony Joe White and Steve Earle - hopefully they will be as good :smokin

Edit: There are 4 guitars on stage, two acoustic that are up front and two electric - both going hard in each rear speaker, excellent.

After the positive experience with the Widespread Panic's Live from Austin TX dvd surround mix - I ordered another one - Lucinda Williams:

fwd5pr3.jpg

and this is discrete too - very nice dts surround mix, the only "negative" is that her voice is a little from all around too.

It makes me wonder if many of those shows, mixed for surround on dvd, are discrete too? Here is a list mixed by the same people:

http://www.terranovamastering.com/clients/dvd.html

I ordered a few more, Dwight Yoakam, Johnny Cash, Tony Joe White and Steve Earle - hopefully they will be as good :smokin

Edit: There are 4 guitars on stage, two acoustic that are up front and two electric - both going hard in each rear speaker,

excellent.

I recommend David Byrne and highly recommend Richard Thompson (w/Danny Thompson of Pentangle fame on standup
bass ) --------also John Hiatt . :D(y)(y)(y)

I must get that Steve Earle as well.

FWIW Austin City Limits have had a very large who's who in music .

I also have a Tom Waits but it's early and on a budget label----so budget sound from an Iconic performer .

I recommend David Byrne and highly recommend Richard Thompson (w/Danny Thompson of Pentangle fame on standup
bass ) --------also John Hiatt . :D(y)(y)(y)

I must get that Steve Earle as well.

FWIW Austin City Limits have had a very large who's who in music .

I also have a Tom Waits but it's early and on a budget label----so budget sound from an Iconic performer .

Great!! Are the David Byrne, Richard Thompson and John Hiatt discrete?

I'm a big fan of Tom Waits and would love a discrete live perfomance by him.

Playing the Lucinda dvd for the second time now, it really rocks in parts - the nerd looking dude with the guitar is awesome when he takes off at the end of "Joy" :cool:

Here he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeoWNbQLY8A

And he sure gives my Infinity Kappa 200 right rear speaker a workout.

GENESIS-FOXTROT

After some deliberation I chose the SACD to listen to. Already ate supper so needed to hear :Supper's Ready

I love Nick Davis' s surround mixing .:smokin

20170616_192453.jpg

Great!! Are the David Byrne, Richard Thompson and John Hiatt discrete?

I'm a big fan of Tom Waits and would love a discrete live perfomance by him.

Playing the Lucinda dvd for the second time now, it really rocks in parts - the nerd looking dude with the guitar is awesome when he takes off at the end of "Joy" :cool:

In parts and pieces thay are .

The performances are all stellar . I only wish they'd release more from their time capsules. Oh and the REM is an excellent surround performance , btw.

Back