"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad to hear. I felt the same about the live CD in the Mirage box. It was the same concert that had been released on VHS in the 80's. The audio on the CD sounded like it was ripped straight from a VHS copy. Muffled and undynamic. Even worse, there are better sounding bootlegs of the same concert.

It's a shame that I can never be certain of anything anymore unless I test the disc myself!
I had assumed that the "Fleetwood Mac" DVD would have DTS audio on it based on both "Tusk" and "Mirage", but I missed the warning sign last year that was Rhino's reissue of "Core" by Stone Temple Pilots, which had a Dolby-only 5.1 DVD in its box set.
Oh well, at least I was able to cancel my box set order for "Fleetwood Mac" before it shipped. That's much easier than dealing with the hassle of sending it off after it's already arrived, which was the case for me with last year's Bruford box set.

As for the other upcoming 5.1 DVD releases ("Roxy Music", "Heavy Horses", and "Fish Out Of Water") if all of them have DTS audio, great. If not, I will send back whichever ones do not.

:)

I'm just curious... would you send back anything in Dolby Digital just to make a point, thereby helping to discourage further Dolby Digital releases, or is it because you can hear a difference in sound quality? Does it also depend on the price (for instance, will you buy a Dolby Digital mix if it's below a certain price)? Again, I'm just curious:) (sometimes DD mixes sound pretty good, IMO)

It sure looks like you did get started. Your reading comprehension is very poor. I never said my maximum expenditure is ten dollars, I said my average disc is $10. The two Lichtmond discs I bought were $40 each.

My reading comprehension skills are impeccable. Apparently, your manners are NOT!

I am a bit bummed that the Fleetwood Mac is Dolby Digital only but recent DD 5.1 remasters have actually been quite good.

At least we can look forward to a 96/24 Stereo Remaster but am a bit disappointed that Rhino/Warner didn't follow through with a MUCH OVERLY ANTICIPATED 5.1 Lossless remaster.

Kind of incomprehensible in 2018!:yikes

OTOH, Warner's BD~Vs and UHD 4K releases are top notch.......especially their remastered Warner Archive series of BD~Vs [older films being afforded superb remasters].

I'm just curious... would you send back anything in Dolby Digital just to make a point, thereby helping to discourage further Dolby Digital releases, or is it because you can hear a difference in sound quality? Does it also depend on the price (for instance, will you buy a Dolby Digital mix if it's below a certain price)? Again, I'm just curious:) (sometimes DD mixes sound pretty good, IMO)

All of the above!
I recently sold off my Bruford box set after discovering that the audio was only in Dolby Digital on the DVDs, and after finding out about “Fleetwood Mac”, I cancelled my order from amazon.co.uk.
The last Dolby Digital only release I bought (and kept) was “In the Land of Grey & Pink” by Caravan.
About a year after purchasing that title, I got to hear the lossless files and heard a HUGE difference between the files & the Dolby DVD.
I’ve thought about purchasing Mike Oldfield titles like “Hergest Ridge” and “Ommadawn”, but I’m still waiting for better quality releases of those titles (like on Blu-Ray or high-res download)

Are you saying that you aren't going to purchase this box set because it's using DD 5.1?

I like to get reviews before a purchase on most releases. This is no different.

I almost never buy boxes with vinyl. The vinyl being included and the overall expense are even bigger reasons for me not to buy than the DD issue is. Its a great album though, and if the reviews tell me its fantastic I might just have to make an exception and buy it regardless. The DD limitation is just one more mark against it for me. If it were a hi res BRD, I'd be taking it a little more seriously (hence my comment). For right now I'm just gonna sit back and watch the wheels.

All of the above!
I recently sold off my Bruford box set after discovering that the audio was only in Dolby Digital on the DVDs, and after finding out about “Fleetwood Mac”, I cancelled my order from amazon.co.uk.
The last Dolby Digital only release I bought (and kept) was “In the Land of Grey & Pink” by Caravan.
About a year after purchasing that title, I got to hear the lossless files and heard a HUGE difference between the files & the Dolby DVD.
I’ve thought about purchasing Mike Oldfield titles like “Hergest Ridge” and “Ommadawn”, but I’m still waiting for better quality releases of those titles (like on Blu-Ray or high-res download)

Rule of Thumb: Whenever a lossless Stereo Remaster appears on the same album with a lossy DTS 5.1 remix, the LOSSLESS Stereo remaster always blows the lossy out of the water. This is also apparent on the TULL discs. While the Steve Wilson 5.1 DTS sounds great, when you switch to the lossless stereo NO COMPARISON.

Warners is a huge company........why they didn't do all the Fleetwood Macs as LOSSLESS BD~As which would cost probably pennies more in hindsight and perhaps even sell more units is positively, absolutely RIDICULOUS!

Neil Wilkes mini review [paraphrased] of the new Mac boxset [the 5.1 DD remaster] on AmazonUK: 'sounds like they placed a sack over the speaker.' And he goes on to call the decision to include a DD 5.1 remix......INSULTING and RUDE! :yikes

Rule of Thumb: Whenever a lossless Stereo Remaster appears on the same album with a lossy DTS 5.1 remix, the LOSSLESS Stereo remaster always blows the lossy out of the water. This is also apparent on the TULL discs. While the Steve Wilson 5.1 DTS sounds great, when you switch to the lossless stereo NO COMPARISON.

Warners is a huge company........why they didn't do all the Fleetwood Macs as LOSSLESS BD~As which would cost probably pennies more in hindsight and perhaps even sell more units is positively, absolutely RIDICULOUS!
Total madness indeed. From a commercial point of view it does not make sense at all, let alone from a music lover pov.

If only we as a community had more to say about this. We would raid the vaults and release that stuff as bda and flacs :)

All of the above!

And cost cannot be a reason at all for not getting lossless or even DTS 96/24.

Look at Rob Reed for example. he has his solo albums available as 1cd/1dvd-a or 2cd/1dvda sets at very reasonable prices. No one should tell me that a large record company cannot get it done for the same or even lower cost.

Total madness indeed. From a commercial point of view it does not make sense at all, let alone from a music lover pov.

If only we as a community had more to say about this. We would raid the vaults and release that stuff as bda and flacs :)

The only recourse we have is to email Foraging Rhino and bitterly complain en masse. I know, when Rhino released Chicago Transit Authority some years back in lossy DTS 4.0, a number of music lovers DID protest the lack of LOSSLESS encoding and wallah....a few years later we got the entire Chicago QUAD output in BD~A 4.0.

What Warners should do in all conscience is re~release ALL the Fleetwood Macs as LOSSLESS BD~As. Sure I'd be pissed I laid out the $$$ for the boxsets but I'd surely double dip....and insert the BD~A in the boxset [to replace the lossy DVDs].

The only recourse we have is to email Foraging Rhino and bitterly complain en masse. I know, when Rhino released Chicago Transit Authority some years back in lossy DTS 4.0, a number of music lovers DID protest the lack of LOSSLESS encoding and wallah....a few years later we got the entire Chicago QUAD output in BD~A 4.0.

What Warners should do in all conscience is re~release ALL the Fleetwood Macs as LOSSLESS BD~As. Sure I'd be pissed I laid out the $$$ for the boxsets but I'd surely double dip....and insert the BD~A in the boxset [to replace the lossy DVDs].
I agree although chasing Foraging Rhino is not the QQ policy if i am correct. It happened in the past that a few industry insiders were scared away because of direct targeting them.

At least Foraging Rhino came back. He knows our wishes.

Please Rhino issue a box set set of all the Fleetwood Mac 5.1 albums on Bluray Audio!

(I would have cancelled this latest FM order but it had already shipped before I read here its in DD)

And cost cannot be a reason at all for not getting lossless or even DTS 96/24.

Look at Rob Reed for example. he has his solo albums available as 1cd/1dvd-a or 2cd/1dvda sets at very reasonable prices. No one should tell me that a large record company cannot get it done for the same or even lower cost.

That IS the absolute IRONY......a lot of individual artists and smaller labels have and ARE putting out quality BD~As for a fraction of what these greedy majors are charging for these elaborate boxsets. Pineapple Thief's WHERE WE STOOD on BD~A comes to mind. Chock full of LOSSLESS 5.1 content FOR UNDER $15!!!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with THIS picture? A helluva lot, IMO.

That IS the absolute IRONY......a lot of individual artists and smaller labels have and ARE putting out quality BD~As for a fraction of what these greedy majors are charging for these elaborate boxsets. Pineapple Thief's WHERE WE STOOD on BD~A comes to mind. Chock full of LOSSLESS 5.1 content FOR UNDER $15!!!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with THIS picture? A helluva lot, IMO.
I am starting to get sick of all this surround nonsense, record company's are jacking me around, sometimes there good, sometimes there not. When I have one I have to sit and listen, which is highly enjoyable, but limiting.
I am starting to lean more towards Hi Res digital stereo, HDTracks has this album for $34.98, 24/96 stereo, original remastered studio and live recordings for a total of 46 tracks.
I wish I didn't buy the box and just went for the stereo. Record company's are not listening and as usual when they don't listen sales fall off, but the irony always is, THEY DON'T CARE.

Sad to hear. I felt the same about the live CD in the Mirage box. It was the same concert that had been released on VHS in the 80's. The audio on the CD sounded like it was ripped straight from a VHS copy. Muffled and undynamic. Even worse, there are better sounding bootlegs of the same concert.

I wouldn't take that review too seriously...as much as I like Neil and respect his work...his objectivity when it comes to DD doesn't exist...you have heard from IMachine and he was pleased...it's sad that this thread has become the "I don't like Dolby Digital" thread...I have plenty of DD music that sounds fine...of course people would like another audio option...but it is what it is...and after waiting all these years...I'm still excited about this release...of course I might have to stay off this thread to keep that excitement...but that's no problem...this is a recurring theme on here...everybody says how much they want these releases..and then when it actually happens...the nitpicking begins...if it's not the cost...it's this or that or this or that...it just never ends

I wouldn't take that review too seriously...as much as I like Neil and respect his work...his objectivity when it comes to DD doesn't exist...you have heard from IMachine and he was pleased...it's sad that this thread has become the "I don't like Dolby Digital" thread...I have plenty of DD music that sounds fine...of course people would like another audio option...but it is what it is...and after waiting all these years...I'm still excited about this release...of course I might have to stay off this thread to keep that excitement...but that's no problem...this is a recurring theme on here...everybody says how much they want these releases..and then when it actually happens...the nitpicking begins...if it's not the cost...it's this or that or this or that...it just never ends

Mark, you're of course correct in assuming that this has become a 'I don't like Dolby Digital thread' and yes, some DD 5.1 remixes do sound fine.....but it's like buying a car with a 405 engine and not being able to drive it to its full potential.

We ARE paying good money for these boxsets and DESERVE the highest resolutions currently available.

If we don't complain, then the majors will continue to give us sub par products. Think about it....the previous 2 Warner Fleetwood Mac boxsets did AT LEAST include DTS 5.1 [Mirage/Tusk] and now ONLY DD 5.1 on a VERY much anticipated album and if you heard Rumors and Say You Will in MLP DVD~A 5.1, then this onslaught of LOSSY FM remasters really is an insult.

Mark, you're of course correct in assuming that this has become a 'I don't like Dolby Digital thread' and yes, some DD 5.1 remixes do sound fine.....but it's like buying a car with a 405 engine and not being able to drive it to its full potential.

We ARE paying good money for these boxsets and DESERVE the highest resolutions currently available.

If we don't complain, then the majors will continue to give us sub par products. Think about it....the previous 2 Warner Fleetwood Mac boxsets did AT LEAST include DTS 5.1 [Mirage/Tusk] and now ONLY DD 5.1 and if you heard Rumors and Say You Will in MLP DVD~A 5.1, then this onslaught of LOSSY FM remasters really is an insult.
Like I said, THEY DON"T CARE !! We are already getting sub par. How many surround releases in 2017, over 100 and maybe 20 sounded great. I can't imagine not having good equipment and then listening. Don't mind me, I'm just on a DSD stereo kick now where 100% of my purchases sound great.

Like I said, THEY DON"T CARE !! We are already getting sub par. How many surround releases in 2017, over 100 and maybe 20 sounded great. I can't imagine not having good equipment and then listening. Don't mind me, I'm just on a DSD stereo kick now where 100% of my purchases sound great.

I, for one, am going to email Warners and make my displeasure known. Glad you like your DSD downloads but we're talking about classic 5.1 remasters HERE...albums we've waited 50 years to hear in what should be HIGHEST RESOLUTIONS.

When I buy a UHD 4K remaster to replace my older DVDs and BD~Vs, I expect PERFECTION ..... tired of spending good money for SHIT!

Am currently listening to the 2018 Grammy Nominations RBCD disc. 23 cuts in great fidelity for $8.49 delivered. Maybe they should release that as a DSD Download.......:banana:

I’m of the opinion that Neil DOES speak from an objective point of view when it comes to Dolby Digital audio. Since he is someone that works with the original source files on the DVD & Blu-Ray projects he authors, he is fully aware of what audio sounds like once encoded as AC3 (Dolby)
Steven Wilson is of the same opinion about Dolby Digital audio as Neil is, and there’s no opinions I trust more than theirs.
It’s no secret that Dolby Digital uses around a 10:1 data compression ratio, so if people on here think what they hear sounds fine (which is reality about 10% of what uncompressed lossless audio sounds like) then cool. There’s never been a single Dolby Digital audio release that sounded good encoded as such IMHO.

I understand all the discussion about DD and all that. But it'd be nice to read some reviews of the Fleetwood Mac S/T 5.1 mix. That being open minded reviews focusing on the SQ of the 5.1 mix and not the disc and audio format :).

Earlier I listened to Genesis' Invisible Touch in 5.1 from the SACD. Great album but the SQ is LOUD and bright! I'm finding that it's not always the disc and audio format that makes the biggest difference in regard to the quality of the surround mix.

Bill

Back