"Fleetwood Mac" (1975 S/T Album) Deluxe Edition with 5.1 surround DVD!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easiest compromise would be for the record labels to release CD/Blu-Ray and/or CD/DVD sets that fall in that price range.
Single DVDA-V discs died out over 10 years ago, and 2017 proved that the market for single Blu-Ray audio discs is vastly shrinking too. (I can only remember Anathema and Steven Wilson offering single Blu-Ray audio discs last year, and neither artist are what I would consider 'mainstream'...)

Like so many on here, I also dislike the fact that in so many instances, we have to spend a lot of money on multi-disc box sets for only one disc that we will play regularly, but if the currently announced releases for 2018 are any indication, multi-disc box sets are here to stay, so the only choice we have is to buy or not buy what is released.

In the case of "Fleetwood Mac", I'm now choosing not to buy this set. Ymmv...

:)

Or put out the single surround disc six months after the Deluxe Box. Having it be part of the box can still help it drive the collectors market, but then the rest of us can wait a while and get the single release at little additional cost to the label.

Serious question, how did they do the Legend 30th so affordably? It's not a "box" per se, but it is a nice collection in nice packaging.

That's a rotten, elitist thing to say. I should not love music or want to hear it in it's best form because of cash? You'd be amazed at the sound to dollar ratio of my system and there is no reason they can't put out the surround disc by itself for $20-29.

Although I would love to see a standalone version of these titles...there IS a reason why they aren't putting these releases out that way anymore...because it's been tried over and over and they obviously aren't profitable or the companies would have continued..but on the other part of your post I can agree...it was an inappropriate thing to say to you...more like a crude...rude...attitude...to be more specific:)

Thankfully, the Alan Parsons Project re-issues offer them as well with Tales (wasn't that last year?) and the upcoming single disc release of Eye in the Sky.

"Tales of Mystery and Imagination" was in 2016, so that's why I didn't mention it in my post, but you're right about the upcoming single Blu-ray Disc release of "Eye in the Sky", which the APP Facebook page said today that the release date for it will be announced soon.

Yet, the trend is still in favor of multi-disc sets, and I'm ok with that if the price is right. Jethro Tull and Marillion are two artists that are offering sets where the average price per disc is around $10, which is completely fair as far as I'm concerned. If more artists released sets like that, I would have no issue with that whatsoever.

It's a shame that I can never be certain of anything anymore unless I test the disc myself!
I had assumed that the "Fleetwood Mac" DVD would have DTS audio on it based on both "Tusk" and "Mirage", but I missed the warning sign last year that was Rhino's reissue of "Core" by Stone Temple Pilots, which had a Dolby-only 5.1 DVD in its box set.
Oh well, at least I was able to cancel my box set order for "Fleetwood Mac" before it shipped. That's much easier than dealing with the hassle of sending it off after it's already arrived, which was the case for me with last year's Bruford box set.

As for the other upcoming 5.1 DVD releases ("Roxy Music", "Heavy Horses", and "Fish Out Of Water") if all of them have DTS audio, great. If not, I will send back whichever ones do not.

I'm just wondering if the reason DD was used on this box set is the record company feels that it is something that can be played on almost any machine...I realize this sounds like a "thin" explanation on a forum loaded with audiophiles...but in the general population this could be a relevant answer...the reason I offer this as an explanation is I just don't think the reason was financial and I'm grabbing at straws for another explanation...

I'm just wondering if the reason DD was used on this box set is the record company feels that it is something that can be played on almost any machine...I realize this sounds like a "thin" explanation on a forum loaded with audiophiles...but in the general population this could be a relevant answer...the reason I offer this as an explanation is I just don't think the reason was financial and I'm grabbing at straws for another explanation...

Wouldn't DD plus DTS be an even better option that would still satisfy the goal of being able to be played on any machine? I thought the vast majority (not all, as I do have some releases that are strictly DD) of music and movie releases that were issued with DD also had a DTS option. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Wouldn't DD plus DTS be an even better option that would still satisfy the goal of being able to be played on any machine? I thought the vast majority (not all, as I do have some releases that are strictly DD) of music and movie releases that were issued with DD also had a DTS option. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

You could be right...like I said...I'm grabbing at straws for an explanation...because the financial reason makes less sense to me..

You could be right...like I said...I'm grabbing at straws for an explanation...because the financial reason makes less sense to me..

The only thing I can figure is since some of the others were DVD-V, they did it for uniformity, but Blu-Ray wasn't big at that time IIRC.

I am of course also disappointed that this great album wasn´t released in higher audio quality.
BUT with that said i bought it as i honestly don´t think this one is expensive specially if you compare it to some of the other new releases ( Eagles Hotel California BD for example ).
At least it is an surround disc and i must say that i really like what i hear!
They have done an great job i think.
For me this is the best of the "new" Fleetwood mac records so there is not a chance that i would miss hearing it.
If the music business change towards more multichannel releases i guess we will see this in higher resolution one day but until then i got this one to enjoy.

My copy arrived and is going right back to Amazon. This is a travesty, regardless of how much it costs. At this quality, it's worth nothing to me but a pirated download. Sorry if I'm breaking any forum rules.

I have pretty well stopped buying these box sets because of my dire financial situation as a result of my wife leaving me.
I had an idea why recording companies offer these 5.1 discs separately from a website where you can order a disc ‘made to order’ ?
Obviously it would create a whole new market as these box sets become unaffordable for many like me.

We all have opinions, and disagreeing with one does not mean it's not valid.

Let's all get along and let everyone feel the way they do because you're never going to change anyone's mind on the internet, and it's not worth it. That's life.

Let's be pleasant here. OK?

The only thing I can figure is since some of the others were DVD-V, they did it for uniformity, but Blu-Ray wasn't big at that time IIRC.

Rumors and Say You Will were MLP DVD-A's but those are kind of special cases because DVD-A was a viable format at the time and the record companies were trying to promote it. The other FM releases were indeed released as DVD-V but even those had both DD and DTS options. It appears this release has only a DD choice. So what is uniform about it? This is the only FM surround release that doesn't have DTS resolution or something better. I really can't grasp why they would make this choice if it weren't to save a few bucks on the licensing. For what its worth, they could have released it in 5.1 FLAC. It would have cost them nothing in licensing, and I would be considering purchasing it.

Hi guys… I went to my Amazon UK account to see what my status on this order was and I noticed our friend Neil Wilkes has chimed in with a mini review For those interested

Rumors and Say You Will were MLP DVD-A's but those are kind of special cases because DVD-A was a viable format at the time and the record companies were trying to promote it. The other FM releases were indeed released as DVD-V but even those had both DD and DTS options. It appears this release has only a DD choice. So what is uniform about it? This is the only FM surround release that doesn't have DTS resolution or something better. I really can't grasp why they would make this choice if it weren't to save a few bucks on the licensing. For what its worth, they could have released it in 5.1 FLAC. It would have cost them nothing in licensing, and I would be considering purchasing it.

Are you saying that you aren't going to purchase this box set because it's using DD 5.1?

Hi guys… I went to my Amazon UK account to see what my status on this order was and I noticed our friend Neil Wilkes has chimed in with a mini review For those interested

Man, I miss having Neil on the forum. He’s never been bashful about hiding his disdain for Dolby Digital audio. Here’s what he wrote about “Fleetwood Mac”:

If you are buiying this for the 5.1 mix be warned it is AC3 only, and sounds as if there is a sack over my speakers.
Given the stereo is at 24/96, having the 5.1 at 16/48 is simply insulting and rude.
Sorry.

Back