Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwwwwwww GOSSSSS!!! Love this SW offering, but I must admit it’s a very polarizing disc. :confused:

I admit, I've always struggled to like music like this...heck...I don't even know what to call it. I guess it's rock...but it's not the kind of rock I grew up on.....

That whole XTC, Tears For Fears...Duran Duran....I could go on and on lumping bands into the pile that I tend to not like. I just can't get into it.
Now, Sabbath, Zep, Purple, Priest......I can dig it. Or, Beatles, Wings, ELO, Mac...love it all.

Bread - Best of from the AF SACD in mono x 4

1A134E91-10A2-4DB7-A218-E6EFEFCF9729.jpg

That whole XTC, Tears For Fears...Duran Duran....I could go on and on lumping bands into the pile that I tend to not like. I just can't get into it.
Now, Sabbath, Zep, Purple, Priest......I can dig it. Or, Beatles, Wings, ELO, Mac...love it all.

I'm a 60s sort of guy (was in my early teens then), and like you, I enjoy all the classic rock even today . . . Tears for Fears etc. came out after the punk / new wave revolt, but I have a fondness for it, as well, since I was living in the UK at the time (and having a blast 8')). Some of the songs remind me clearly of the jukebox in some Scottish dive :banana:

Memories have more to due with our liking of music than taste, at times, and that's cool!

I admit, I've always struggled to like music like this...heck...I don't even know what to call it. I guess it's rock...but it's not the kind of rock I grew up on.....

I understand you.. TFF SFTBC was played to DEATH back in its time (I played to death when I was DJ back in 84-86 too), but TFF got even better... I could play The Seeds of Love still and not get tired, there's SO MUCH STUFF GOING ON-can't WAIT for the MCH mix!!!
XTC I only like the later stuff (starting from Mummer..)
Duran Duran is just a guilty pleasure...can't deny it...

Last edited:
Yeah, I just don't like it. I've tried...but I don't. It does nothing for me whatsoever. :yikes
When those sort of bands were becoming very popular...I was still smoking weed and listening to hard rock. I just couldn't accept it. :violin

But that's OK, Gene. Just isn't your 'bag.' I happen to love a crazy eclectic amount of music and have always been a fan of Tears for Fears [even saw them recently].

A bit off topic but since I came late to NETFLIX, I've been fanatically binge watching the BBC show SKINS which is a feast for the eyes and ears and the music is thrilling and its in discrete surround. The show aired in the UK in 2010 and ran seven seasons and the acting and scripts are WAY OUT THERE. Every two seasons a new cast is introduced and the vibe is almost indescribable.

In the year 2018 SKINS almost fits in with what the world has/is turning into. A free for all with that same indescribable vibe.

But we always seem to revert to that comfort zone which was the late 60's, early 70's..............when brilliance in music was around every corner and the riffs and melodies were in seemingly endless abundance. Yep, Gene, I, too, miss those dazed and confused halcyon times.:mad:@:

Well I don't like XTC...and most of the prog bands which I never heard of before I joined the forum... I like some of Duran Duran(their hit songs)...and some of Tears For Fears..namely shout and everybody wants to rule the world(their hits)...you don't like 38 special...but like the allman brothers?....then there is the whole REO Speedwagon thing...that's OK if you don't like that Tears blu ray title...get rid of it...at least you have slowed down on buying these prog titles that everybody loves and you secretly don't like..that's progress...just because Steven Wilson is involved doesn't mean you have to buy it...actually I'm talking to myself too on that point...now that you aren't insisting on surround only titles...there are many more offerings for you...you should dump some of those dust busters on the shelves(y)..I have a feeling that there is going to be a LOT more things we like this year...

:D 80's :D

well.....but there were 2 sets of super duper popular music in the 80's. The whole metal scene - which...at the time...was my go to music. In my part of the world, the metal/hair band scene was 100% more popular than the "other" 80's scene.

Cinderella, Europe, Helix, Def Leppard, Ratt, Skid Row, GNR, Scorpions, Dokken, Tesla on and on and on. These were the bands I was listening to...not ashamed to admit.

well.....but there were 2 sets of super duper popular music in the 80's. The whole metal scene - which...at the time...was my go to music. In my part of the world, the metal/hair band scene was 100% more popular than the "other" 80's scene.

Cinderella, Europe, Helix, Def Leppard, Ratt, Skid Row, GNR, Scorpions, Dokken, Tesla on and on and on. These were the bands I was listening to...not ashamed to admit.

Me too, with some of those....I unabashedly fell in love with the video era that is the 80's, defined by TFF, Bryan Adams, Phil Collins etc

Red has no idea...you were an 80's man...it was YOUR time...the 442...the bridge...raised on Black Sabbath and mashed potatoes in the shadows of rural Illinois:)

Me too, with some of those....I unabashedly fell in love with the video era that is the 80's, defined by TFF, Bryan Adams, Phil Collins etc

And every week I'd be watching Miami Vice...just think in 10 years we will be talking about Mike Vieira's new album and his network tv show...and Gos will have an open thread on here looking for help with his computer:)

Back