Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I know what I like.......in your wardrobe

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound. SACD/DVD.
Listening to the "PAL" Dvd, fwiw.

Attachments

• 20180518_185656.jpg
    20180518_185656.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20180518_185652.jpg
    20180518_185652.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 75
Something a little different. How A Rose by a Roomful of Teeth in Surround Sound DSD 256.
Recorded at Tankworks in Rangely, Colorado.

cover.jpg

Roomful of Teeth is a vocal octet dedicated to re-imagining singing in the 21st century. The 1-Track DSD Stereo and Surround Sound release is 'How A Rose'. This release is available today in Stereo, Binaural & Multichannel DSD and DXD - including all three DSD bit rates (DSD 64, DSD 128, DSD 256) at the NativeDSD Music store. This is a DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release.

The idea for this project began in the summer of 2016 when Roomful of Teeth artistic director Brad Wells learned of an intriguing venue in the high desert of Colorado. The space located in the small town of Rangely, Colorado is a 65-foot-tall, 40-foot-wide steel water tower from the age of steam engines publicly known as Tanksounds at The TANK Center for Sonic Arts. The structure has long been an underground destination for experimental musicians from around the country due to its rich acoustics and swirling reverberations of up to 40 seconds.

New Sounds says "Roomful of Teeth is an astonishing vocal octet based in NY that works closely with lots of contemporary composers and incorporates all manner of unusual vocal techniques – overtone singing, for example, and traditional sounds from places as varied as East Asia and Appalachia.

They’ve just released a luminous new single for Christmas: an arrangement (by Teeth tenor Eric Dudley) of the Renaissance German hymn “Es Ist Ein Ros Entsprungen,” usually translated as “Lo, How A Rose E’er Blooming” but which they’ve re-titled “How A Rose.”

There are no unusual effects needed because Roomful Of Teeth recorded this song (in the heat of the summer) at the Tank Center For Sonic Arts in Colorado. The Tank was probably a water tower for a proposed rail line but is now a super-reverberant place for music and other art projects. The circular metal tower bounces sound for up to 45 seconds, meaning that when you’re singing verse #2, you might still be accompanied by your performance of verse #1.

Such a venue rewards slow, spare music-making, and that’s what Roomful Of Teeth provide. Their reward is a glowing, floating recording that will clear a space in your busy holiday."

https://newamrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/NWAM101-how-a-rose

Man, every time I'm at work, and I see this Subject line float to the top of the What's New list, I look up at my 2 stereo shop speakers and sigh... You guys are gonna make me put in some kinda surround rig down here yet!

Of course I could also solve the problem by actually doing my job while I'm here instead of checking QQ, but hey.

OOOOoooo, Baby....talk about an organic cleanse!

Really wish we had more Motown in SURROUND!!!!!!

If only... Eh, Ralphie?

We've been lucky to get some decent surround mixes made for Marvin's songs. And "The Marvin Gaye Collection" certainly shows how older recordings can be successfully remixed into 5.1. It's not mission impossible. It can be done.

So.... What's going on!!?

More Motown in surround PLEASE!!!

The quad mixes of Let's Get It On & What's Going On (available only on Japanese CD-4 LPs) are excellent and deserving of a digital release...
Perhaps are most kind & gracious friend, Steelydave could pass the word on to our favorite label Dutton Vocalion, so they can GET IT ON with releasing those on their incredible Quad SACDs!!! :SG :dance

Back