Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well lately I listen to any surround version of Porcupine Tree or just Steven Wilson pretty much every day; but also lately The Fixx 1011 Woodland & Tower of Power Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now.
Back when I bought the 1011 Woodland I was hoping for straight-up surround versions of all my favorite Fixx songs, only to find less commercial versions perhaps? It took me a while but eventually I grew to love it, especially since it's all we Fixx fans are likely ever to get.
I had "Two Different Views" but I'll be "Saved by Zero" if I'm not "Driven Out".

The quad mixes of Let's Get It On & What's Going On (available only on Japanese CD-4 LPs) are excellent and deserving of a digital release...

the Motown Quads are an interesting mixed bag..

all the studio album surround mixes are excellent, including, as you say, Marvin's WGO & LGIO, also, the "Diana & Marvin" duets album, Diana's "Last Time I Saw Him" and Temptations' "All Directions" and "1990" are equally fabulous, i wish there had been more of them mixed in Quad back in the day (Smokey's "Quiet Storm" would've been fab!) if the 4-ch master tapes exist for all those they should be released asap!

then there's a couple of Hits comps in Quad, which are interesting but weird (Supremes in particular) with alternate takes and some odd mix decisions, i still enjoy it but its not a patch on the splendid surround of the original studio album Quads (the likes of What's Going On, etc.).. and then there's all the Live Motown Quads, I've not heard all of them but those I have (Diana Live @Caesars Palace, Supremes in Japan) are not upto much surround-wise or sound-wise. anyway, there we go-go.. those studio Quads have really got a hold on me!

Well lately I listen to any surround version of Porcupine Tree or just Steven Wilson pretty much every day; but also lately The Fixx 1011 Woodland & Tower of Power Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now.
Back when I bought the 1011 Woodland I was hoping for straight-up surround versions of all my favorite Fixx songs, only to find less commercial versions perhaps? It took me a while but eventually I grew to love it, especially since it's all we Fixx fans are likely ever to get.
I had "Two Different Views" but I'll be "Saved by Zero" if I'm not "Driven Out".

I agree about the FIXX DVD~A. Excellent and still available from AmazonUS: https://www.amazon.com/1011-Woodlan...qid=1527408435&sr=1-1&keywords=FIXX+dvd+audio

I hope that SILVERLINE disc is a good one:unsure:

I
Well, I don't have anything against Silverline per sae.....but Instead of using their existing music, the band was invited (I assume) to Nashville to make all new recordings for the album. They are not exactly the same as the commercial versions.
In the liner notes Cy Curnin elaborates some: "The reason for making this album was to combine a snapshot of our musical past with the energy generated in 1998, with the release of "Elemental". This album rides
shotgun with our current state of mind." etc. etc.

Last edited:
Love me some Spinners(y)

don't let the green grass fool you, i'll be around.. just as long as we have love, i just can't get you off my mind, just you and me baby, we belong together.. there's no one like you, i don't want to lose you, honest i do!

they certainly were a group to grab a theme and run with it for a few wee albums..! :smokin

I'd love to see DV release some Spinners.....well....if it contained some of the hits I know that is. :)

love to love them baby! :LB

personally i find them the least musically diverse of the Thom Bell/Gamble & Huff/PIR stuff that got the Quad remix treatment but i still enjoy them.. the mixes are excellent, fidelity's really nice and every track's a toe-tapper, even the ballads have that catchy swing to them, there's a lot of variations on a theme so it can get a bit samey across an entire album but still don't let that put you off exploring their 3 Quads if you haven't got them already.

fwiw there's quite a few Thom Bell/G&H/PIR/Sigma Sound Quads and I really love the ones I've heard; Stylistics (7), O'Jays (5), Spinners (3), Billy Paul (3), Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes (2), Johnny Mathis' I'm Coming Home, BB King's Friends, MFSB (2)

don't let the green grass fool you, i'll be around.. just as long as we have love, i just can't get you off my mind, just you and me baby, we belong together.. there's no one like you, i don't want to lose you, honest i do!

they certainly were a group to grab a theme and run with it for a few wee albums..! :smokin

I was just thinking about "soul music" yesterday....how little hi rez material there is available...with the exception of the older "quad" variants...I'm a big Motown lover...I have Luther Vandross Dance With My Father...but that's not really one of his best...as physical media starts to wind down my next search will be for soul CDs with good DR numbers...I expect the stream of surround material we are getting now(especially from Dutton)to become a small trickle in the near future...and then I will be searching Ebay for those soul favorites on good sounding CDs....aside from the obvious stars...like the Temptations...4 Tops..The Supremes...Martha and the Vandellas...there was Jeffrey Osborne and Sam and Dave..and of course one of my favorites The Delfonics......it was nice when Audio Fidelity brought back some of this music...but there is so much more...

I was just thinking about "soul music" yesterday....how little hi rez material there is available...with the exception of the older "quad" variants...I'm a big Motown lover...I have Luther Vandross Dance With My Father...but that's not really one of his best...as physical media starts to wind down my next search will be for soul CDs with good DR numbers...I expect the stream of surround material we are getting now(especially from Dutton)to become a small trickle in the near future...and then I will be searching Ebay for those soul favorites on good sounding CDs....aside from the obvious stars...like the Temptations...4 Tops..The Supremes...Martha and the Vandellas...there was Jeffrey Osborne and Sam and Dave..and of course one of my favorites The Delfonics......it was nice when Audio Fidelity brought back some of this music...but there is so much more...
So - knowing there is so much music you want......would you go for the name brand albums by the artists...or would you go for the kill for greatest hits type packages?

Oh you guys are really getting me a wanting MORE SOUL MUSIC!!!

NICE NICE NICE!!! :dance

One last album before I turn in for the night...

Labelle: Nightbirds (SACD) :QQlove

love that Nightbirds AF Quad SACD... if you can believe it, their other Quad (Phoenix) is even better, both as an album and as a surround mix, the opener of Side 1 (The Amazing Flight Of A Lone Star) is.. sensational, nay, EPIC! :SB

lapping up now in surround..

Lets Put It All Together - Stylistics

love.. that love.. love.. that love... love, love love love loooove.. love, sweet love is the answer... wooooooooooaaaaaahhhhhh... MORE HORNS! (there's loads of trumpet or whatever it is in the album version.. and oh this instrumental that's at the end of the Quad/album makes me want to rip it and turn it into a smokin' karaoke backing track! "how lucky we are.. how lucky we arrrrrrr.." ahem.

Phoenix - Labelle

DV, I beg/implore/beseech you, get this smokin' hot multichannel mofo out on SACD as soon as humanly possible!!!

"rise spirits... riiiise spirits... riiiiiiise....!!"

its one of those super active CBS mixes i love.. you get one female vocalist in rear left, another singer in rear right and the other vocalist upfront bang in the centre... with the kind of arrangements of the songs here it is an absolutely staggering surround effect, even in lowly decoded SQ form its superb, from the 4-ch master in all its discrete glory its bound to be a mindblower!

lapping up now in surround..

Lets Put It All Together - Stylistics

love.. that love.. love.. that love... love, love love love loooove.. love, sweet love is the answer... wooooooooooaaaaaahhhhhh... MORE HORNS! (there's loads of trumpet or whatever it is in the album version.. and oh this instrumental that's at the end of the Quad/album makes me want to rip it and turn it into a smokin' karaoke backing track! "how lucky we are.. how lucky we arrrrrrr.." ahem.

:eek: Nooooooo Karaokeeeee…………. one of the local pubs has it periodically.........….so I think of caterwauling, chalk on a blackboard...…… :)

Back