New Pop/Soul/Jazz Surround SACDs - Billy Paul, Chase, George Benson, Weather Report (Sept 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone's curious what the Chase debut album quad mix is like, check out these Q8 waveforms:

This is some seriously wild mixing! A lot of the tracks start out with four corner pans, there's some incredibly stark isolation of bongos and keyboard in each rear channel, different trumpets call and response from front to back. It's a real hoot that'll give your system a workout!

Only thing holding it back was the fidelity - pretty confident Dutton has solved that problem :)

Hell yes! That early Chase title is one of the first ten Columbia Quads and is one of the top most aggressive mixes ever! About the only issue I ever had was that the Q8 suffered from a tonal difference between channels. So, that Trumpet bopping around for the opening of "Open Up Wide" required a little EQ to make it sound the same in all four corners. If I can do it right for my own DTS discs, Mr. Dutton is probably laughing at me right now calling me an amateur.

That particular part, you can almost feel the engineers' fingers on the panning control. But it also shows how crude the mixes were when the trumpet sounds in FL and you can hear the panning control moving as the echo trails off into FR and then the trumpet blasts in FR. I mean, we think of it today as crude, but back then this was cutting edge! I still don't know if I'd have had the guts back then to mix blind like these guys did. Nothing more than a track sheet and VU meters!!

I often wonder if before the mixer actually mixed.... did they have to sit there and listen to EACH individual track (on an 8, 16 or 24-track) tape and make note of any errors, cut-ins, punch-outs, flubs, coughs, sniffles, cuss words? Though fascinating I'm sure, but how tedious would that be when you know you're on a deadline?

If anyone's curious what the Chase debut album quad mix is like, check out these Q8 waveforms:

Whole album:
View attachment 35511

Track 1 "Open Up Wide":
View attachment 35512

This is some seriously wild mixing! A lot of the tracks start out with four corner pans, there's some incredibly stark isolation of bongos and keyboard in each rear channel, different trumpets call and response from front to back. It's a real hoot that'll give your system a workout!

Only thing holding it back was the fidelity - pretty confident Dutton has solved that problem :)
It sounds like it will be great - one of my favourite things in Surround Mixes are the call & responses coming from different channels! Hopefully my discs will arrive in a few days, the flight from Watford to Devon is hard work for those carrier pigeons

I'm solid on 4/5 of these. Can somebody please convince me about the mix/fidelity of the Billy Paul live?

If you're on the fence about the Billy Paul Live wait until Adam or another UKer who should receive them quicker than we will posts a review of the actual mch SACD! They shouldn't sell out that fast.

I apparently haven't ordered anything from Dutton Vocalion since April, so I've ordered all five of these and the Poco two-fer from the July batch. The September releases are all pretty much blind buys, as I've only sampled a tiny bit of most of them, so it made sense to me to add the Poco, as they're closer to the hard rock music I generally enjoy. But I'm really excited for more excellent quadraphonic music!

Me and and Mrs. Jones was the only Billy Paul song I knew.
Thankfully both albums on the two-fer are available from youtube in their entirety.
Though I don’t like absolutely everything (his version of Your Song for example) there is more than enough great music on these two albums to make the purchase a no brainer.
Too bad it’s more expensive than the typical DV disc but if that’s what it takes to get this stuff released them I’m good with it.

Damn. I love this site. My retirement fund hates it. I read through the five pages of this thread and picked up 4/5 (I like the above advice about the Live release). And while I was on the DV site, I found 14 other discs I had read about here in the short time since I found your site--my newest addiction! Is there a Quad Anonymous 12 Step Program?! Peace

Back