ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, nearly all the anniversary editions from the Scorps sound like total shit. I have several, and they might as well be in the trash. Simply smashed the audio quality from the originals. DR is in the 6-9 range for the anniversary stuff. Super harsh....

Anyway, no, it's my original CD from 1984 - Mercury Records. Sounds amazing.

You know who did the mastering on that CD....Bob Ludwig...that's why it sounds good(y)

Last edited:
What I've seen so far, nearly all CD's that are from the 70's and 80's era have a great shot at sounding spectacular. That is, unless they are remastered sometime in the 90's or later...then they have a good chance of being crap. So annoying.....

I found a Barry White Greatest Hits CD in my basement...I figured.....it HAD to sound great no matter what...but.....it was remastered in early 2000's I think.....and the DR is mostly 10's and lower. And the sound suffers, it doesn't have that rich sound that White is known for. Ugh.....

What I've seen so far, nearly all CD's that are from the 70's and 80's era have a great shot at sounding spectacular. That is, unless they are remastered sometime in the 90's or later...then they have a good chance of being crap. So annoying.....

I found a Barry White Greatest Hits CD in my basement...I figured.....it HAD to sound great no matter what...but.....it was remastered in early 2000's I think.....and the DR is mostly 10's and lower. And the sound suffers, it doesn't have that rich sound that White is known for. Ugh.....

The day the record companies discovered that the "remaster" game was a cash cow...guys like Jimmy Page have milked that cash cow to death....sad really to see some of these titles being reduced to harsh pieces of plastic...the one's that really get to me are the so called "hi rez" downloads with single digit DR numbers...c'mon that is just wrong....no excuse for that...it's supposed to be the part of the market place aimed at audiophiles and they produce that crap....

b232e114910f66cd5cd35fd7929301eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All this earlier talk about Bruce Springsteen made me grab an old DVD...the complete video anthology 1978-2000....one thing you can say about Bruce...he doesn't have a great voice...he's not a great guitar player...but NOBODY works harder...the guy never slows down at these concerts...I don't know how he does it...

All this earlier talk about Bruce Springsteen made me grab an old DVD...the complete video anthology 1978-2000....one thing you can say about Bruce...he doesn't have a great voice...he's not a great guitar player...but NOBODY works harder...the guy never slows down at these concerts...I don't know how he does it...
I totally agree with you but as an entertainer and a great performer there is nobody like him.....even going to one of his concerts especially in the late 70's early 80's was a totally exhausting experience even for the people going to see him...... there will never be another act like that again

Wow, music direct cheaper than import....now there's an oddity I might think..

Keep in mind that Music Direct OWNS Mobile Fidelity....just like Acoustic Sounds OWNS Analogue Productions...that's why it's hard for some independents like Intervention Records to survive..they have both the source and distribution covered...

Wow, music direct cheaper than import....now there's an oddity I might think..

For some inexplicable reason, Gene, ImportCD has 'drastically' raised their prices on MoFi products from their usual lower price of $25 to $38 ... plus they charge s/h and sales tax as well so that $38 price would be well over $40. Roughly a year and a half ago, ImportCD was blowing out over a dozen MoFi Stereo SACDs [choice titles] for $12~15.

My theory is that because MoFi is pressing lesser quantities of their Stereo SACDs [only 2-3K per title] they're not selling them to their distributors at lower wholesale margins.

Clint's correct ..... buy them directly from Music Direct [especially when they have their sales] for the best deals!

Last edited:
For some inexplicable reason, Gene, ImportCD has 'drastically' raised their prices on MoFi products from their usual lower price of $25 to $38 ... plus they charge s/h and sales tax as well so that $38 price would be well over $40. Roughly a year and a half ago, ImportCD was blowing out over a dozen MoFi Stereo SACDs [choice titles] for $12~15.

My theory is that because MoFi is pressing lesser quantities of their Stereo SACDs [only 2-3K per title] they're not selling them to their distributors at lower wholesale margins.

Clint's correct ..... buy them directly from Music Direct [especially when they have their sales] for the best deals!

So they started charging you sales tax...it's been that way for awhile for me.....in the near future everywhere is going to charge it...

Back