ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s been a musical two-channel filled day for me. I started out listening to the new album Free by Iggy Pop. It’s very good. After that, I played the only other album I’ve heard and once owned by him called Brick By Brick. Love that album too!

After Iggy, I discovered a new artist (Björk). Well, not new, but new to me. I started out with her previous band, The Sugarcubes. I played all three of the albums. The only song I remember hearing is Hit. Since then, I’ve been listening to her solo work. Currently listening to Vespertine. Maybe, not everyone’s cup-a-tea, but I love her voice. I hear there are several Björk surround mixes. I may need to search those out if they are reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Split Enz - See Ya Round

1567904568000.jpeg

Electric Light 💡 Orchestra - Out Of The Blue

View attachment 43206

If I were to choose only one album by ELO to be mixed in Surround, it would be this one. Although, at this point, I’d take any of them.

Concerto For A Rainy Day.

Or, in my case, hot day. 🥵

An antidote to Mortal Engines 3D, Perp? The 'thinking man's' ELO?

Last edited:
Actually, this is about surround...but too lazy to start a new thread. I don't really care for classical type music, but I saw this download on Acoustic Sounds and the 5.1 caught my eye. Don't see 5.1 offered as downloads too often on that site.

1569156633008.png

Robin Trower - Bridge of sighs MSFL gold CD - UDCD 684.
Incredible bass. It's so basic & sounds so good I don't know if would really benefit that much from a M/C mix. Would love to hear it though...

Hey I know I've seen discussion around here and there about Mannheim Steamroller, mostly their Christmas stuff. But they just released their first album of non-Christmas new material since 2000's Fresh Aire 8. Has anyone seen and/or heard this?

Exotic Spaces

A1MdoKSWqML._SL1500_.jpg

I've been listening for a while, and am admittedly a big fan of Chip and his work in general. This album is significant for many reasons, the biggest to me is that finally (FINALLY) after 29 years, Chip has (except for one song) abandoned the god-awful sounding drum pad toms. The horrible sounding fake toms have been on every Mannheim release since 1990's Fresh Aire 7. To me the worst part is that Chip is not just the composer, producer and conductor, he's the drummer too! I've never understood why or how he could think those things sound remotely good.

Now I am not convinced that he's using a real drum kit again, I doubt he will ever do that. But whatever electronic drum sounds he's using on Exotic Spaces are 100x better sounding than before. As a drummer geek, I am so happy about this. I no longer have to cringe every time an upbeat song comes on!

Drums aside, this is a really good album, if you like the latter era Mannheim sound. Each song is from a different "Exotic" space; Jungles of Colombia, Gardens of Babylon, the ocean, space, inside a mind of depression... it's really quite cool, eclectic and fun. Honestly, this concept works well and this album might as well be Fresh Aire 9. Give it a listen if you like them!

Back