A Special Preview of Quadio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Rhino is apparently gearing up for lots of 'physical media' coming out in the next few years of surround stuff, one would think that it might be a great idea to re-release some of the best of their DVD-A 5.1 mixes on BluRay. Stuff like "Homecoming", "Brothers in Arms", "Hotel California", the Donald Fagen/Steely Dan stuff, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner - stuff like that. At least the surround fans would have these great titles available again at a reasonable price and in a format that is current.

We can call them "Quintio" , and maybe get the 5.1 mixes of The Cars , Little Feat -Dixie Chicken , Sailing Shoes and I think Joni had one , that escapes me at this time.

Edit:
Also Little Feat- Waiting For Columbus

Now THAT'S what I'm talking 'bout!

Just start with Dixie Chicken and Feets Don't Fail Me Now and see if it sells like "hotcakes" or not. Potential for an amazing listening experience is there alright.

@ForagingRhino ....Steve,
As to Rod Stewart, Smiler , which was quad mixed....according to Billboard magazine, Mercury Records had the vinyl rights and Warner was given the tape rights, cassette and 8 track and Reel. Don't know if that changes anything ?
This was back in '74 I think.

BTW

@ForagingRhino

Let's not forget quad copies of the UK/European WEA Quads. There were only six all told , or five and one Sampler. Excellent Quad mixes btw.
I would love to get ....these 3 reissued please:
Deaf School - Second Honeymoon (1976)
Absolute Elsewhere- In Search Of Ancient Gods(1976)
Passport - Handmade(1973)

Two others were,
Fats Domino - Live Montreux
Ralph McTell - Right Side Up

16956022720382987271893143885370.jpg
169560232256481071919485876156.jpg

And NEW QUAD remixes were already discussed as possibilities at the recent QUADIO launch in LA!

You know, if they are willing to mix in a old-timey style, like actually putting musical parts in the rear channels, I am 100% in for that. Mix them discrete but not ridiculous.
If they're going to waste my time and put nothing but ambience in the rear.... count me out. (and I think we can ALL agree on that!)

Better still, I am an amateur mixer and have a wealth of knowledge about Quad. Where could I send a resume so maybe they'd could hire me as some sort of overseer or consultant in regards to mixing in Quad?

Rod Stewart has two,.. Atlantic Crossing , and Smiler ...but likely a speed bump. - Smiler is UMG
Todd Rundgren - Initiation - not found
Leo Sayer -Another Year - Nope
Neil Young - Time fades Away - Ask Neil
Van Morrison- Hard-nosed The Highway - Not ours.
Ry Cooder -(title unknown) - Not helpful
Led Zeppelin- Live At MSG , - ask Jimmy
Yes -YesSongs and Close To The Edge - Nope
E.L.P - Welcome Back My Friends.....live and Trilogy - Not ours
Genesis - Live At The Shrine..The Lamb Tour - Not in our vault
Joni Mitchell - Blue , and Miles Of Isles...there could be more - Blue, no. MOA yes
Grateful Dead - Steal Your Face - you'd think there would be a quad of this crappy sounding record but no.
David Bowie - Young Americans , and David Live 1973 - ask Nigel Reeve
Little Feat ...any ??? - nope
Frank Zappa - Roxy And Elsewhere , and One Size Fits All - not ours
Billy Cobham-Spectrum - hell yeah!
Stanley Clarke - any - got excited, saw a 4 channel master for School Days - but it was a session reel, not a master.
Carly Simon - Another Year (Passenger perhaps?) - Nope
Eddie Harris- Sings The Blues - Nope
Les McCann-Talk To The People - Nope
Uriah Heep - Return To Fantasy - Not ours
Z Z Top - Fandango - Nope
Sad that Carly's Another Passenger is not there. Excellent album that took Carly in a different direction. And, unfortunately, not a huge hit. Passenger was produced by Ted Templeman and the players include members of the Doobie Brothers and Little Feat along with Dr. John, Van Dyke Parks, Andrew Gold and James Taylor.

Last edited:
Better still, I am an amateur mixer and have a wealth of knowledge about Quad. Where could I send a resume so maybe they'd could hire me as some sort of overseer or consultant in regards to mixing in Quad?
Maybe I could try my hand at it...although I think Rhino would need a baseline level of equipment that the mixing engineer needs to have, and I certainly don't have any Genelecs or anything of that sort.

So that would be...Paradise & Lunch (upcoming June 1974 release)? Or Boomer's Story (1972, but Cooder's then-"latest")?
I tried to figure this out a few years ago and came up with "Boomer's Story" and "Into the Purple Valley", although I don't remember where I dredged up this information and may be off base on those releases. I'd love to have anything by Ry Cooder in quad.

@ForagingRhino ....Steve,
As to Rod Stewart, Smiler , which was quad mixed....according to Billboard magazine, Mercury Records had the vinyl rights and Warner was given the tape rights, cassette and 8 track and Reel. Don't know if that changes anything ?
This was back in '74 I think.
I thought that the split mechanical rights of a 1974 Rod Stewart (and Faces) album was in reference to the "Coast To Coast Overture And Beginners" live album.

In the US WB had all tape rights, Mercury LP rights. WB had all rights in Germany, and Japan among a few other places. Mercury had all rights in UK afaik.

This arrangement for "Coast To Coast is a little complicated, but it points to Warner having rights to all formats in US other than LP. So Quadio on BD, and the tape possibly in the vaults at Warner, this is just one manager approval away from being green lit.

Are we sure it is not the "Coast To Coast" live album rather than "Smiler?" "Smiler" is all Mercury all the time afaik.

Last edited:
Back