Future Quadio releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it before and will say it again: we need a Santana quadio box! Stuff is coming out in bits and pieces and mainly overseas. I mean a single box with the quad mixes of

Santana
Abraxas
Santana (third album)
Caravanserai
Welcome
Borboletta
Amigos
Festival
Illuminations (with Alice Coltrane)
Live (with Buddy Miles)
Love Devotion Surrender (with John McLaughlin)

Not even Chicago or Percy Faith had as many quad releases as Carlos & co. OK, Ray Conniff maybe, but I ain't lining up for that one.
Not gonna happen as a Quadio release because the Santana Quad mixes are on a different record label.
Quadio releases are primarily WEA titles owned and distributed by Rhino Records, of which Santana is not

Although...now that Rhino is establishing themselves as a source for restored 1970s original quadraphonic mixes from the master tapes, maybe they can license quad mixes from other record companies (much as Mo Fi does with stereo mixes) and release them on Blu-ray audios (and continue using DTS-HD so listeners like me can decode the core DTS).

Kirk Bayne

Thanks. It would be nice if Rhino could reach out for licensing but I think they own enough now to reissue for awhile without paying fees.
I think @fredblue has said that Concord has been historically cool, maybe even icy, towards licensing. Their Craft Recordings unit continues to release Blu-Ray discs, though (see: REM, SDE's Concert for George). And a handful of back catalog items in their possession--on Riverside/Prestige, I wanna say?--have seen perfunctory Atmos mixes show up on Apple Music. So who knows? Maybe @ForagingRhino has a friendly counterpart over there. RummagingConcord?

I think @fredblue has said that Concord has been historically cool, maybe even icy, towards licensing. Their Craft Recordings unit continues to release Blu-Ray discs, though (see: REM, SDE's Concert for George). And a handful of back catalog items in their possession--on Riverside/Prestige, I wanna say?--have seen perfunctory Atmos mixes show up on Apple Music. So who knows? Maybe @ForagingRhino has a friendly counterpart over there. RummagingConcord?
Humprof, Concord Records did release Kenny Wayne Shepherd's The Traveler as a BD~A ATMOS release as well as the recent Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas [deluxe] with an ATMOS BD~A as well.

So there is hope for those Vanguard QUADS as well as some more TELARCs in SURROUND!

Wow! Never figured anyone would hate the 7" Sony Japan SACD packaging to this degree as I love them. To each his/her own.
I have absolutely nowhere they fit. I can accommodate things sized the same as any of CD, DVD, blu ray, VHS, and the odd cassette and LP.

I've said it before and will say it again: we need a Santana quadio box! Stuff is coming out in bits and pieces and mainly overseas. I mean a single box with the quad mixes of

Santana
Abraxas
Santana (third album)
Caravanserai
Welcome
Borboletta
Amigos
Festival
Illuminations (with Alice Coltrane)
Live (with Buddy Miles)
Love Devotion Surrender (with John McLaughlin)

Not even Chicago or Percy Faith had as many quad releases as Carlos & co. OK, Ray Conniff maybe, but I ain't lining up for that one.
Enoch Light has them all beat.

That would be great, I could get rid of the stupid 7" packaging Sony Japan SACDs.
That packaging has turned me off from purchasing their titles. If I did, I would probably repackage them in jewel cases. But I have enough on my plate already.

I love the 7" packaging! It fits in perfect with my Quad reel tapes and 45 RPM records!
My 45 storage is full, and I haven’t had R2R tapes for 50 years. And there are already too many different packaging schemes. 🙄

If I am counting correctly, there are 3 more to go from the Santana drips... Illuminations was already released by AF a few years back. I really like the 7" mini LP packaging. It provides improved detail on the artwork, closer to the LP and feels retro. When I first encountered the 7" design with Reed's Kompendium project, I immediately wished that all DVD / BD / SACD's came in this larger format.

That packaging has turned me off from purchasing their titles. If I did, I would probably repackage them in jewel cases. But I have enough on my plate already.
Standard Jewel cases are the worst packaging! They break easily and take up space. Years ago I put a lot of my collection in Case Logic album cases. I also like the mini LP covers. I love the 7" covers they don't take up much space, just a bit more height!

I like that Rhino is using Super Jewel boxes, even though they are Blu-rays. I wish DV would do the same, I transfer my single DV releases to Super Jewel Boxes, it helps to distinguish them better from standard CDs.

Standard Jewel cases are the worst packaging! They break easily and take up space. Years ago I put a lot of my collection in Case Logic album cases. I also like the mini LP covers. I love the 7" covers they don't take up much space, just a bit more height!

I like that Rhino is using Super Jewel boxes, even though they are Blu-rays. I wish DV would do the same, I transfer my single DV releases to Super Jewel Boxes, it helps to distinguish them better from standard CDs.
Yeah, jewel cases are crap, but if cared for they are fine. The Super jewel boxes are better, although anyone who’s ordered from Rhino knows they need care, too, and they’ll fit my storage system, which is finite but mostly has room. I can scan and reprint cover inserts, so it’s all doable, AFAIK.

Back