Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation 50th (New Atmos & 5.1 mixes, plus Quad mix on Blu-Ray!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the 1970s in grade school it was something a boy could catch from touching a girl. (Read that with genuine childhood innocence and no double entendre and not how Frank meant!)

Hadn't thought of the etymology before though. Coot? Does that mean...
In 1960s and earlier Catholic schools, girls were told they could be pregnant from letting a boy kiss them. LOL

After listening to the album on Apple Music I have to admit the Atmos mix is outstanding - much better than I anticipated. Sadly, the price for the box set, ranging from $70 - $100, is just too high for a single album I like but don't necessarily love. Nothing wrong with the box set contents, just not a big fan of live music sans video and the many alternate versions (both apparently only on cd) would not likely get many repeat listens. If the price drops, or a standalone blu-ray appears I'd probably bite.

Gee whiz you'd think they had cooties ,😂

(as per Ike.)
A mystery as to origin. In Florida we have coots (ducklike birds) and we have a species of turtle called cooters. When I was young I sometimes heard cooter used as something pertaining only to girls. Almost before my time, and bear in mind children speak.
Cooties in my early school days assumed many meanings from playful to derogatory.

What would Frank Zappa think? His mind went in weird but wonderful places. Ah, if the Grand Vizier were only here to ask.

First impressions: 5.1 has great fidelity, faithful to the original mix. Really nice. I like the quad for some tracks as I think it emphasizes certain parts I’m used to hearing in the stereo mix better. Glad to have both!

I played around with the 5.1 in Audacity for a little bit, on a track like Dirty Love if you solo the center channel you can listen to Tom Fowler’s gnarly bass work in all of its mostly isolated glory 🙂

While I do like the Overnight Sensation Atmos mix, it didn't strike me as the best for 2023. So far the Harmony Codex and Feathers and Bones by Rodriguez Jr have gained that top spot. to my ears On the otehr hand, if one is purely speaking about classic remixes, then I could see how Overnight Sensation would rise to the top.

Back