Dutton Vocalion April 2018 Surround Sound SACDs (Guess Who, Rick Derringer & The Hues Corporation)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omigod! The Guess Who & Hues Corp. have been waiting to be played for about 36 hours now; I just couldn't get to them when they arrived. I finally got around to looking at the credits and steelydave's liner notes--and was amazed to see the personnel of Love Corporation's backing band: Larry Carlton, Joe Sample, and Wilton Felder (of The Crusaders--and all of whom backed up Michael Omartian, who also plays here, on White Horse), with horns including Tom Scott and Ernie Watts! (Plus Toto keyboardist David Paich.) I guess I knew that those guys all did plenty of studio work, but man: those are some jazz heavy hitters! And lots of Steely Dan connections, too... Anyway, great arrangements, great mix, great tunes.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20180506_151943.jpg
    20180506_151943.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180506_151950.jpg
    20180506_151950.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 114
Wow!! So, that means I received my order from Vocalion......standard shipping with no tracking in 12 days. They have clearly done something different with shipping...and I like it. In fact, I love it.

I received mine within a week. Record Time and NO cracks. Enjoy, Gene. Listen at least twice before voting. They're ALL superbly mastered! Ho, Ho, HO!

I received mine within a week. Record Time and NO cracks. Enjoy, Gene. Listen at least twice before voting. They're ALL superbly mastered! Ho, Ho, HO!
Yeah, I certainly won't vote till I get a real feel for the material and sound. I just ripped through (quickly) all the songs on Guess Who....and first off....

WOW! I totally forgot about the song Star Baby. Man oh man.....I didn't even know it was their song. I haven't heard that one for decades....ironically....it's a hit and it has the worst fidelity of all the songs. Did you think so? Otherwise, this disc is a gem.....I mean...damn.

Can someone explain the D-V postage "tracking" thing?

When I make a D-V purchase and product is shipped to the US, I get a choice of "standard shipping" or "shipping with tracking" for a bit more money (both "to the rest of the world"). For my first order, I chose standard shipping. It took over a month for the disks to arrive. And because I eschewed tracking, there was no tracking number supplied and I had no way to find out where they were. I also wondered, if the package got lost with no tracking, who is liable? It eventually showed up, in 32 days.

For my second order (the Derringer & Guess Who releases) I paid the extra fee and chose to have it shipped with tracking, hoping to avoid all the extra time and anxiety. When I received the shipping confirmation I was surprised to see that there was still no tracking number supplied. The confirmation email implied that a signature would be needed upon delivery.

I'm not sure how the postal service works in the UK, but in the US "tracking" means just that. You are given a number with which you can track the package. No signature is required on delivery, although you can get that too if you need it (I think its called registered mail here). I don't know if the extra fee D-V charges includes any insurance. I also don't believe the extra fee is going to get the package here any faster. The only thing I am reasonably sure of is the postal carrier is going to be looking for someone to sign for it when it arrives. Of course no one will be home and I will have to make a trip to the local post office to pick it up (which is a problem in itself due to the limited hours they are open). I'm also assuming, somehow, this shipment is insured (else why bother with a signature?).

So anyone know for sure how all this works and what the extra D-V ship charge buys?

Can someone explain the D-V postage "tracking" thing?

When I make a D-V purchase and product is shipped to the US, I get a choice of "standard shipping" or "shipping with tracking" for a bit more money (both "to the rest of the world"). For my first order, I chose standard shipping. It took over a month for the disks to arrive. And because I eschewed tracking, there was no tracking number supplied and I had no way to find out where they were. I also wondered, if the package got lost with no tracking, who is liable? It eventually showed up, in 32 days.

For my second order (the Derringer & Guess Who releases) I paid the extra fee and chose to have it shipped with tracking, hoping to avoid all the extra time and anxiety. When I received the shipping confirmation I was surprised to see that there was still no tracking number supplied. The confirmation email implied that a signature would be needed upon delivery.

I'm not sure how the postal service works in the UK, but in the US "tracking" means just that. You are given a number with which you can track the package. No signature is required on delivery, although you can get that too if you need it (I think its called registered mail here). I don't know if the extra fee D-V charges includes any insurance. I also don't believe the extra fee is going to get the package here any faster. The only thing I am reasonably sure of is the postal carrier is going to be looking for someone to sign for it when it arrives. Of course no one will be home and I will have to make a trip to the local post office to pick it up (which is a problem in itself due to the limited hours they are open). I'm also assuming, somehow, this shipment is insured (else why bother with a signature?).

So anyone know for sure how all this works and what the extra D-V ship charge buys?
I just took delivery today of some disks and there was an Australia Post tracking number on the package...but I was never advised of the tracking details by anyone - but I am assuming the tracking number provides some security compared with not having it...

As promised, here's some of the ephemera I collected in the course of research...Derringer first:

Billboard 11/03/1973
View attachment 32753

Cash Box 01/12/1974View attachment 32754

Cash Box 04/27/1974
View attachment 32755

View attachment 32757

Randy Tuten Lithograph distributed to promote All American Boy (as seen in the background of news article above)
View attachment 32756

View attachment 32759View attachment 32758
hmmm. I notice the 'blue sky' logo on the first photo has been replaced with SACD logo on my disk...whatever that means... :p

When I make a D-V purchase and product is shipped to the US, I get a choice of "standard shipping" or "shipping with tracking" for a bit more money (both "to the rest of the world"). For my first order, I chose standard shipping. It took over a month for the disks to arrive. ..... It eventually showed up, in 32 days.?

My last order took almost 60 days to arrive! I'd ordered January 2nd, received them on February 27th! Initially, I'd chalked the delay up to the Christmas Postal Fury, but by mid-February, I was beginning to get anxious. I'd contacted them, but the discs finally did show up. I wonder if they'd got enough complaints that they decided to step up their game a little bit? I usually give an easy 2-week time frame when getting something from the UK. Years ago, I had a friend there and she I and I traded stuff back and forth all the time. Everything usually came within 2 weeks.

Back