Dutton Vocalion April 2018 Surround Sound SACDs (Guess Who, Rick Derringer & The Hues Corporation)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. That Farrah poster was on the door to my shop on the aircraft carrier when I was in the Navy.
Not to be weird or anything....but I had that same poster back in the 70's. I had a bedroom in the attic of my parents house back then. I had this poster on the south wall facing my bed. lmao

It's still there...because I was the last child to move out and I think my parents were freaking out. So....that room is unchanged since 1981 when I moved out.

Not to be weird or anything....but I had that same poster back in the 70's. I had a bedroom in the attic of my parents house back then. I had this poster on the south wall facing my bed. lmao

It's still there...because I was the last child to move out and I think my parents were freaking out. So....that room is unchanged since 1981 when I moved out.

I'd love to see that. Talk about a walk down memory lane. :)

That's not too weird GOS.....I remember my Grandfathers house when I was a kid had a room which still had my Grandmothers shoes in it...black leather stompers as worn in Victorian days. In a drawer was a newspaper (local Ithaca,NY Journal...) that had front page news on the war.....The Russo-Japanese War, it was from1904!

What's weird is she started a hairstyle trend. Even Princess Di had a F.F. hairdo.

Bet you had weird thoughts looking at it Gos , weird but totally normal though for any young adult.:devilish::p:coffee::giggle:

What's weird is she started a hairstyle trend. Even Princess Di had a F.F. hairdo.

Bet you had weird thoughts looking at it Gos , weird but totally normal though for any young adult.:devilish::p:coffee::giggle:
I had that same poster as a kid... and have been married to a beautiful woman with Farrah Faucet hair for 20 years !😁

Uncom
I'm a little slow on the draw. Ordered Guess Who and Derringer. I only know Hoochie Koo from Derringer, but may recognize others. Will be fun to get familiar in quad. Supporting DV was paramount. Love the Guess Who, have the Greatest Hits SACD, but would buy all of their album pairs from DV.

Clap for the Dutton man!
The song Uncomplicated on the Derringer disc did get some airtime back in the day on late night FM stations. Perhaps it may ring a bell when you hear it.

I could not believe my eyes when my four April 2018 D~V SACDs showed up today via Royal Air Mail and in perfect condition [I did order an even numbered four]. Cannot wait to play them.

Thanks again, D~V. This is indeed a RECORD!

Okay, so I did some listening today, and my first impressions are really positive. I listened to all of The Guess Who's Road Food, as well as a couple of tracks from the Hues Corporation and Rick Derringer. Again, all of the recordings are super discrete, with Road Food having everything from effects to instruments to vocals coming the rears at times. It really is a zany experience that almost seems like Southern Rock parody (especially "Clap for the Wolfman"), but there is enough of a rock edge that I enjoyed it well enough. I can definitely see why none of the songs have remained super popular, however.

With Rick, I only got to listen to "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" and "Joy Ride" (a short instrumental), and I agree with someone who said before that Derringer's vocals don't really work that well. I thought "Joy Ride" was much better for this reason, and hopefully there are more of them as the album progresses...

I need some more time with the Hues Corporation, but I loved hearing "Rock the Boat" in quadraphonic. The other song I listened to was "Rockin' Soul", which frankly felt a tad derivative, but I'm still looking forward to the rest of the albums on the disc.

If my reviews of the music don't seem incredibly positive, please remember that my musical tastes are pretty narrow, being generally limited to hard rock (often British, often 80s) and classical, so this kind of stuff has (so far) still seemed a touch soft to me at times. I still really wish AC/DC or Iron Maiden would have worked in quad, but alas, they didn't, and so I have to expand my horizons. BUT, the sound quality of everything I have heard is amazing, full and warm, and still surprisingly discrete and immersive, even compared to modern multichannel mixes.

If you like multichannel music, I think you need to get all three of these discs, because they are a lot of fun, so far. Bring on the next batch of releases! :)

@ GOS:
You're a funny guy. :giggle:
I'm happy your avatar morphed to something I can tolerate seeing every day, so I could take you off my ignore list.
(For now, at least.) ;)

Don't ever change.
Cheers. :hi

I ordered the Derringer based on my affection for Johnny and Edgar Winter, Caribou Ranch, and Johnny's Still Alive and Well album.
Bought on release March '73 with the original R&R Hoochie Coo cut and Rick in the band.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offense or political advocacy intended by the alternate album cover below.

I lived through the Golden Age of TV Westerns, and I recall every gambler kept a small concealed "Derringer" pistol.
To head off misunderstandings.
It was the Code of the West.
==========================

D-V Quad Derringer Two-Fer
Four barrels beat double barrels in poker and SACDs

images

I had that same poster as a kid... and have been married to a beautiful woman with Farrah Faucet hair for 20 years !😁
ahh, you lucky bastage!!! good for you!!!

Yeah..I'm digging this roll call..
I had that poster too!!! I was always more of a (still am , as William Powell sez in one of the "Thin Man" movies:)"Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws" kinda guy, I succumbed to peer pressure.. (yeah right) ... I was always a weird puertorrican kid...still am...and proud of it!!! yessss I AM puertorrican!!!

Great, I recently dubbed the Guess Who's to the hard drive from the CD-4's. At least I won't have to bother script decoding Rick Derringer now, although I had done a bit of experimenting with "All American Boy" already. I was never big on Hues Corporation "Rock the Boat", but saw the CD-4 albums for sale on eBay and was actually considering purchasing them. How about next time giving us Guess Who "American Woman/Share The Land" I can't afford $300 US each for the Japanese CD4's and aparantly those LP's miss a few tracks! Oh yeah I'm purchasing all 3, a real bargain!!!!

Back