New AVR ordered...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene and QQ gang, I have enjoyed reading the Gene Atmos adventure and tips brought forward but now wondering myself as well is it time to take the plunge and upgrade my home system.
Tough decision as this is looking like my year of moving on from my present job to a non paying job so have to watch my pennies. Do I get hearing aids that I have been recommended trying as a result of hearing loss in 3000-6000 range or do I get a new receiver and speakers to do this Atmos thing, HMMMM, what to do..

If I had to do one or the other id have to go with the hearing aids. But fortunately my hearing is still pretty normal.

Anyway, I was pondering an upgrade as well. But owing to my inefficient speakers, I couldn't get by with the power available from an AVR like that. So I'd have to at least run my power amp for the 5 primary channels using the AVR's pre outs. The height channels could share the AVR's power supply I assume.

Then there would be the cost of the height speakers. I'd need ceiling mounts on adjustable brackets, four of which hanging up there, would look like crap. Not to mention I'd need to put something structural in the dropped ceiling to hold their weight. At least wiring them would be easy.

Then there's the dilemma about how to play back vinyl. Not that I do that much anymore. But I use a low output MC cart and an analog crossover between amp and preamp so I don't have to digitize the Analog direct inputs. That'll probably have to stop.

Sounds like its a lot of changing around and money for what seems like too little gain. I would be hoping it could provide some better network connectivity too. And so far, it seems like there are only a handful of releases I might be interested in.

I guess I just talked myself out of it by writing this.... hmmmm:confused:

I thought you were singing... Nobody told me there’d be days like these... :)

Mr. Smithers...do you mind if I call you Waylon?...well anyway Waylon...just wanted to say that you are doing a great job so far on the forum...I'm glad you didn't give up trying to register..a lot of new members just kinda stick around in the shallow end of the pool...if you know what I mean...but you hit the ground running...that's what we need..active members(y)

Mr. Smithers...do you mind if I call you Waylon?...well anyway Waylon...just wanted to say that you are doing a great job so far on the forum...I'm glad you didn't give up trying to register..a lot of new members just kinda stick around in the shallow end of the pool...if you know what I mean...but you hit the ground running...that's what we need..active members(y)

Well, that's debatable....some say I'm a little TOO active... :violin

Well my first name begins with a W so it kinda fits... I’m Will/Waylon! :)Man I love this forum! Some really sound info. I reckon there’s another quad//surround/Atmos breakthrough just on the horizon because this stuff is too fricking good! Strange days indeed!

Well my first name begins with a W so it kinda fits... I’m Will/Waylon! :)Man I love this forum! Some really sound info. I reckon there’s another quad//surround/Atmos breakthrough just on the horizon because this stuff is too fricking good! Strange days indeed!

Ah yes...Strange Days...so you like the Doors...excellent...no wonder Mr. Burns speaks so highly of you...

...Do I get hearing aids that I have been recommended trying as a result of hearing loss in 3000-6000 range...

Hearing aids with a "music" setting to correct high frequency hearing loss changed my life.
I can't recommend it highly enough, especially for surround listening.

It seems inappropriate to discuss in this thread.
Feel free to start a new one, or PM me.

Regarding sully's remark that amplifiers have NO TONE IS absurd. Ever have a tube amp? A much different tone than a solid state one....

I'll grant you that....anyone investing in sound-distorting technology like that, on purpose, really *should* expect to get their money's worth. (I enjoy some sound-distorting DSP myself ....but I like to be able to turn it off, too. I wouldn't want it built-in to my *hi fi amplifier*, for pete's sake.)

But I meant amplifiers whose goal is to introduce no audible distortion within their specified operating limits. Those have no 'tone', when properly compared.

Yes, there are lots of Stereophile and TAS-reading types who believe that audible SS amp differences not only are routine, but are obvious to anyone with the ears to hear them. But they believe many such dubious things.

I'll grant you that....anyone investing in sound-distorting technology like that, on purpose, really *should* expect to get their money's worth. (I enjoy some sound-distorting DSP myself ....but I like to be able to turn it off, too. I wouldn't want it built-in to my *hi fi amplifier*, for pete's sake.)

But I meant amplifiers whose goal is to introduce no audible distortion within their specified operating limits. Those have no 'tone', when properly compared.

Yes, there are lots of Stereophile and TAS-reading types who believe that audible SS amp differences not only are routine, but are obvious to anyone with the ears to hear them. But they believe many such dubious things.

That's a very tiresome argument, ssully. I've actually sat down and listened to different amps with the same speakers and there are definite differences. I've also swapped cables, etc and hear differences in 'tone,' sometimes dramatic! Power conditioners and power cables also impart different sounds. And even receivers have different sounds.

By saying everything sounds the same is negating the fact that a lot of higher end manufacturers actually do take pride in their craftsmanship rather than trying to rip the public at large off by charging astronomical prices. Utilizing better capacitors, internal wiring, resistors.......heavier heat sinks, etc....all contribute to a better sound.

Some of us do have golden ears and can discern differences and the ole saying.....even if something sounds incrementally better....it's still a PLUS.

But I DO agree with you on the use of DSP to create an artificial surround environment. When playing a stereo SACD/RBCD/BD~A, it sounds the VERY best in DIRECT STEREO mode and when I employ ANY DSP mode, the 'seeming' perfection of Direct Mode is dissipated....MUCH MORE PRONOUNCED with separates than on my bedroom's receiver.

It's like saying that ALL cars are the same. Yes, they can ALL take you from point A to Point B but it's how you want to get there...........in luxury :banana: or bumpy, bumpy, bumpy and/or crammed in like sardines. :yikes

Don’t know if I was clear enough earlier when I talked about ‘tone’. Maybe, I used the wrong term and should have used voicing but what I’m trying to convey is that every voice and instrument sounds more ‘live’ and like the real thing with this AVR and I hope this is something we all strive to have in a component. Especially, at this price point. I’ve listened in the direct/pure direct modes and still hear the same thing. So, that’s taking any type of DSP out of the equation. :)

Hearing aids with a "music" setting to correct high frequency hearing loss changed my life.
I can't recommend it highly enough, especially for surround listening.

I was able to get hearing aids last year and agree with what you say. I was so worried that everything would come out sounding like I was wearing headphones, but I still am able to hear the sound coming from all directions and the quality of the audio is vastly improved. Even in things I didn't know I was hearing poorly. I expected some of what I was missing to be better, but the snap of drum sounds was maybe the biggest thing I've noticed. They've really made life better for a surround music fan.

K

That's a very tiresome argument, ssully. I've actually sat down and listened to different amps with the same speakers and there are definite differences. I've also swapped cables, etc and hear differences in 'tone,' sometimes dramatic! Power conditioners and power cables also impart different sounds. And even receivers have different sounds.

You know what's tiresome? That you'd offer such paltry 'experiments' as evidence, when I'm sure you've been informed, perhaps repeatedly, that without proper controls, such comparisons are worthless.

But feel free to continue to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sXQoGcMN1U

You know what's tiresome? That you'd offer such paltry 'experiments' as evidence, when I'm sure you've been informed, perhaps repeatedly, that without proper controls, such comparisons are worthless.

But feel free to continue to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sXQoGcMN1U

Yes, ssully, the TRUTH IS OUT THERE if you bother to take the time, patience and resources to invest in state of the art which HAS vastly improved in the last few decades....in case YOU haven't noticed.

Your archaic pronouncement that everything sounds the same is old and very much IN THE WAY!

If it's really charts and graphs you so covet for verification and/or gratification, then you really mustn't trust your eyes and ears.

Even that old proclamation that ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL is suspect.....because it left out WOMEN!

Back