Opeth "Deliverance" and "Damnation" Remixed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any pointers for ripping the 5.1 DTS from the Deliverance disc? I'm currently backing up all my surround discs but this one just will not convert to WAV or FLAC. I have done Damnation no problem but this one just throws up errors. Have tried Audiomuxer and tsmuxer and both struggle with it. From what I can gather, the DTS stream is flagging up at 24/96 (container?), however I'm also seeing that it seems to actually be 48khz so maybe that is causing the issue...?

I know I'm crazy because every time I see the title of this thread I hear Paul McCartney singing "Opeth deliverance". o_O

Last edited:
Anyone have any pointers for ripping the 5.1 DTS from the Deliverance disc? I'm currently backing up all my surround discs but this one just will not convert to WAV or FLAC. I have done Damnation no problem but this one just throws up errors. Have tried Audiomuxer and tsmuxer and both struggle with it. From what I can gather, the DTS stream is flagging up at 24/96 (container?), however I'm also seeing that it seems to actually be 48khz so maybe that is causing the issue...?
Try pulling the tracks from the media to your hard drive with MakeMKV. You can then use mkvmerge to pull each track and finally ffmpeg to look at the streams and extract just the DTS one.
I use perl and loops to extract it and I can provide specific examples but once on your hd:
pull chapter from the MakeMKV source: mkvmerge -o ${OUTPUT} --split "chapters:all" ${SOURCE}
then you want to find the stream you are looking for, something like: ffmpeg -i ${SOURCE} 2>&1 |grep ' Stream'
which should spit back something like:
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32p (24 bit) (default)
Stream #0:2(eng): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s
Stream #0:3(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, stereo, s32p (24 bit)
Stream #0:4(eng): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 1536 kb/s
So you would want stream 0:2 for the 5.1 DTS (I think my example is Winery Dogs Dog Years)
Finally, another loop or manually by track, ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:2 -vn -sn $Output

^^ That looks a bit complicated but will give it a try. I have actually already used makemkv to pull the stream off the disc, which works fine but soon as I try to extract the audio it just won't complete the task.

^^ That looks a bit complicated but will give it a try. I have actually already used makemkv to pull the stream off the disc, which works fine but soon as I try to extract the audio it just won't complete the task.
It looks complicated but isn't really.
You already used MakeMKV to pull the album to your hard drive. Lets say you called it deliv.mkv.
split it by track: mkvmerge -o songs.mkv --split "chapters:all" deliv.mkv
this will create file for each track that contain each stream .. so what, 6 on that album?
now you can use ffmpeg on just one of the tracks to see which stream you want.
ffmeg -i songs1.mkv (doesn't matter which track you pick, and I forget how it increments so this is just an example.)
on linux I would do ffmpeg -i songs1.mkv 2>&1 |grep ' Stream'
on Windows ffmeg -i songs1.mkv 2>streams.txt
You can then look at the results to see which one contains the DTS 5.1 that you are looking for and then finally, against each of the 6 tracks you pulled with mkvmerge, using 0:2 as an example: ffmpeg -i songs1.mkv -map 0:2 -vn -sn 01.Wreath.dts or .flac,your choice.
then song 2 ... deliverence .. you get the idea. I actually use a loop that just names them 01.flac ... 0X.flac and then I tag them and rename them.

Since I got this working I don't use DVDAE that I purchased anymore .. I just pull everything, and sort it out afterward. Sometimes DVDAE makes you guess a little bit more on which is which on the media than I like.

Here is the (Windows) perl script that i use to pull all the chapters from a mkv file.
I like to use MakeMKV to pull everything from the source and then process them one at a time.
#!c:/perl/bin/perl
# file: bluerayextract1.plx
# purpose: take a directory of MakeMKV bluray rips, pull out each chapter and create a list of the streams
# date: 20 December 2017
# auth: k.monte [email protected]
# comments: automation from the notes Chris provided to pull the flac from bluray
# use: it is perl and open source/free software, use it and share it.
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# required perl modules
#
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# none, this is all about the software and using perl to loop and process it with system calls.

#
# static variable declaration
#
$Counter = "0";

#
# main section
#
#
# Split the makeMKV created MKV files by chapter
#
# mkvmerge -o ${OUTPUT} --split "chapters:all" ${SOURCE}
# Incremental numbers will be appended to the ${OUTPUT} filename.
# example: mkvmerge -o windogs.mkv --split "chapters:all" The_Winery_Dogs_t00.mkv
# notes
# if only the makeMKV files are in the directory this glob works, otherwise it needs more specificity
@BaseFiles = glob ("*.mkv");
foreach $BaseFile (@BaseFiles) {
$BaseOut = "chapter" . $Counter . ".mkv";
system ("mkvmerge -o $BaseOut --split \"chapters:all\" $BaseFile");
$Counter++
}

#
# Review audio streams
#
# ffmpeg -i ${SOURCE} 2>&1 |grep ' Stream'
# example: ffmpeg -i windogs.mkv 2>&1 |grep ' Stream'
# sample output
# Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 47.95 tbc
# Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32p (24 bit) (default)
# Stream #0:2(eng): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s
# Stream #0:3(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, stereo, s32p (24 bit)
# Stream #0:4(eng): Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 1536 kb/s
# notes
# this stanza will create a Streams.txt file which has each files stream list in it.
# you will need the contents to manually modify bluerayextract2.plx for the streams you want
@ChapterFiles = glob ("chapter*001.mkv");
open(my $Stream_out_fh, '>', 'Streams.txt');
foreach $ChapterFile (@ChapterFiles) {
system ("ffmpeg -i $ChapterFile 2>TempFile");
open my $Streams_fh, 'TempFile' or die $!;
my @Streams = grep { / Stream/ } <$Streams_fh>;
print $Stream_out_fh "$ChapterFile\n";
foreach $i(@Streams){
print $Stream_out_fh "$i";
}
}
close $Streams_fh;
close $Stream_out_fh;
unlink <"TempFile">;

#
__END__

I can share the second script that pulls each stream from the tracks, but it requires some explanation since it requires manual changes each time. I suppose I would code it to run as one script, but since it is just for my use at the moment it hasn't been worth my time.

Many thanks for the replies. Have downloaded ffmpeg but am finding it hard so far. Will have to take some time to have a proper stab at it. Is it easier if I already have the dts file extracted from the mkv container and just need it converting to wav or flac? I've managed to use tsmuxer to demux the mkv so I now have the 5.1 dts stream, problem now is I can't get it to wav for manual splitting/tagging in Audacity (and from what I can tell, Audacity doesn't like dts files). Still get the same error when trying to convert from dts to wav or flac using audiomuxer.

The same problem also occurs on Opeth's Blackwater Park and Watershed surround tracks. So strange how I'm having problems with these dvd-v discs, yet all others I've ripped (other Opeth dvd-v's are fine) were a doddle (and I've ripped plenty of DVD-A and blu-rays also).

it sounds like you have a single dts file extracted from the mkv. It should be as simple as ffmpeg -i yourfilename.dts yourfilename.flac.
I am pretty sure you can actually convert to multiple formats with one command. ffmpeg -i yourfilename.dts yourfilename.flac yourfilename.wav

it sounds like you have a single dts file extracted from the mkv. It should be as simple as ffmpeg -i yourfilename.dts yourfilename.flac.
I am pretty sure you can actually convert to multiple formats with one command. ffmpeg -i yourfilename.dts yourfilename.flac yourfilename.wav

This worked a treat! Many thanks for your help. Have only done Blackwater Park so far but it encoded to wav no problem. I'll now split the track in audacity and then save and tag to flac files. I know there is probably a quicker route but I prefer this way as I know audacity well but am an amateur on cmd prompt.

Back