• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA [DVD-A]

Rate the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA

• Total voters

LuvMyQuad

800 Club - QQ All Star
I don't have/need a sub, so I have never noticed the "phase" issue. Really liked this album for a long time. 10/10 from me..
I believe you would have the phase issue regardless if you had a subwoofer in the system or not. With no sub, the LFE channel would just be folded into the L/R mains. If the LFE signal is out of phase it will cancel bass information when it combines with similar bass information from the main L/R channels. Same with the center channel. Out of phase bass can cancel whether it is combined electronically or acoustically.

Ge Someone

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
With the new info about the center channel being inverted, wouldn't the phase cancellation result in lesser dynamics to some degree?[..] would be interested in the results if someone else has the corrected version and can check it.
It makes no difference, I don't even think the Dynamic Range Meter uses more than just (front) Left and Right.
Your links to the database show also that the loud mastering/mix was only an issue in the original stereo version, which is also on the DVD-A, beside the newer surround mix. I found the 5.1 master always very acceptable for this style of music and the mix is great.

JediJoker

Audio Engineer/Enthusiast
It makes no difference, I don't even think the Dynamic Range Meter uses more than just (front) Left and Right.
Incorrect. The foobar2000 plugin and Jriver tool—the only versions of the TT DR Meter to allow more than two channels—measure across all channels, not just FL/FR.

HomerJAU

Moderator (MCH Media Players)
Staff member
I would agree that the first half of the album is much stronger than the second. The transition to the much darker/proggier second half is a bit jarring at first, but I think I'm starting to get it. The first half is just so great though- "Blackest Eyes", "Trains", and "The Sound Of Muzak" all could've been hits IMO.
Over time I’ve found I enjoy the last part of In Absentia more than the first. I’ve had my phase corrected album playing in my car recently and really like the bonus tracks too. I’ve even just skipped the opening few tracks. I’d love PT to have a crack at another album or SW to do more of this style (Psychedelic Grunge?)

This is my favourite PT album for sure. I’d have it in my ‘surround desert island’ box for both content and mix.