Listening now to this stereo/mono CD.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely GORGEOUS!

5199rpGXapL.jpg

For any fans of The Cars' Heartbeat City album, this second Ric Ocasek album is for you. On paper, it's got almost all the ingredients to be its perfect follow-up too (instead of the horrible "by numbers" rubbish that was Door to Door from 1987).

So why do I believe this? Simple. Greg Hawkes, The Cars' keyboard wiz, plays keyboards, 80% of the bass and sings backing vocals. Benjamin Orr, bass player of The Cars, signs backing vocals on 4 tracks. Elliot Easton, the group's guitar player is found on one track. Right there, that's already giving you a solid base. The production team of Chris Hughes and Ross Cullum, still high from their success with Tears For Fears' Songs From The Big Chair, prove to be a good match for Ric and his new batch of songs. Add to that guest guitarists G.E. Smith (from Hall & Oates & the Saturday Night Live Band), Roland Orzabal (from Tears For Fears), Tom Verlaine, and the one and only Steve Stevens on pyrotechnics (listen to Coming For You for a highlight). Oh, and Tony Levin plays the stick on a track. That's a lot of talent boobie!

The songwriting quality is almost on par with Heartbeat City (minus the Robert "Mutt" Lange hit effect) and much stronger than Door To Door. The songs are more laid back though which means you may need a couple of plays before finding your comfort zone. I think it's a fine and underrated album. Ric had a top 20 hit with Emotion in Motion.

Greg Hawkes figured nobody would notice if he used the same synth sound as in Hello Again. ;)

R-577272-1538643998-2270.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
OK, weird. So, I guess to get the MCH, you buy the disc....right?
That's what I did Gene.
Not aware that the music is available for a MCH digital download Gene, only through buying the actual disc which, in my case, comes with a MCH DVD. You then get free access to download the stereo flac.
Or you can purchase the digital download separately but it is only in stereo.
The quality of the stereo flac is 24-96.

That is a surprise seeing a Pink Fairies album....I bought this one way back in 1973
https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Fairies-What-A-Bunch-Of-Sweeties/release/1341672Still have it too!!
Got the CD of it as well.....blimey 10 years ago (just checked my Amazon account)
I shall have to see if it will up-mix okay.

I remember hearing this record that year, a pair of Harley-riding co-workers who rented a house together spun it at a Rizla- enhanced soiree.
Fantastic cover art!
Never heard it before or since until finding the opening track on YT this morning:

Brrrnggg-brrrnggg... ...Pink Fairies on Earth, I have a call from Uranus for you...

I do, however, have the Wonder Warthog story in an underground comix anthology...

img20200311_13173102.jpg

I remember hearing this record that year, a pair of Harley-riding co-workers who rented a house together spun it at a Rizla- enhanced soiree.
Fantastic cover art!
Never heard it before or since until finding the opening track on YT this morning:

Brrrnggg-brrrnggg... ...Pink Fairies on Earth, I have a call from Uranus for you...

I do, however, have the Wonder Warthog story in an underground comix anthology...

View attachment 47206

What A small world it is.....I really never knew that interest in this band was that widespread.
Not a bum note amongst them... :)

Back