Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dishwalla OPALINE [Immergent/MLP DVD~A 5.1/96/24] Talk about an exceptional overlooked GEM. Have had this album for 20 years and probably played it years ago on an older system and didn't think much of it. Fast forward to 2024.....dug it out of the pile and played it @ 72 db on my NEW system and could not believe how brilliant it sounded ..... and not just the sound but the outstanding vocals, compositions and bombastic wall of cascading sounds coming out of my speakers. A revelation, in fact. Still available from discogs at a very reasonable price. And without sound cheeky, if your system can handle it ... by all means buy it. A new favorite [played it 3 times in the last 3 days}! Mastered by Bob Ludwig @ Gateway Mastering and the discreteness is very tastefully there! Comes VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
https://www.discogs.com/release/11222608-Dishwalla-Opaline

Primary
Secondary, 2 of 5
Good point. Been a while since I listened to it...so much music the last year or so.

Kane SO GLAD YOU MADE IT [BMG Netherlands/Multi~CH SACD 5.1] This Dutch group which hails from the Netherlands with this release, has, IMO, pushed the ultimate boundaries of what discrete multichannel should sound like......short of ATMOS. A little bombastic at times but there is much to like. SOUNDS ABOUND FROM ALL AROUND. Mixed by Ronald Prent and mastered by Bob Ludwig @ Gateway Mastering.

https://www.discogs.com/release/10509296-Kane-So-Glad-You-Made-It

Primary

Last edited:
Mahler SYMPHONY No. 2 Gilbert Kaplan conducting the Wiener Philharmoniker [DGG/2 Multi~CH SACDs] Kaplan was considered one of the foremost interpreters of Gustav Mahler even owning the original manuscript of Mahler's 2nd. A gorgeous recording from the DGG engineers! Highly Recommended

A little tidbit of info:

Mahler's own manuscript to the 2nd symphony, earlier owned by Gilbert Kaplan, was sold November 29, 2016 at an auction in London for 4,546,250 British pounds. (Source: The Guardian)

91Y-nCefNYL._SL1500_.jpg
I’d love to find this somewhere. I bought the cd when I was in college and loved it.

Latest posts

Back