Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm convinced that this one and Springsteen's Devils & Dust 5.1 DualDisc line the $1 bins of every used vinyl/CD shop in the US :LOL:

I've always liked "Lonely No More" and if you solo the rears on the 5.1 mix, you can hear the dueling rhythm guitars on their own which is pretty neat. But that's probably the only nice thing I can say about this disc.
Devils and Dust is certainly a 'stinker' Jonathan but I can assure you that SOMETHING TO BE sounds amazing on my new system .... utilizing the OPPO 205 HDMI out into Meridian's proprietary 722 HDMI switcher/enhancer into my Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro.

I am extremely sensitive to compression and lo fi and this is anything but!

Devils and Dust is certainly a 'stinker' Jonathan but I can assure you that SOMETHING TO BE sounds amazing on my new system .... utilizing the OPPO 205 HDMI out into Meridian's proprietary 722 HDMI switcher/enhancer into my Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro.

I am extremely sensitive to compression and lo fi and this is anything but!
The DR on the Rob Thomas disc is better than the CD, but it's still quite smashed...the 5.1 mix has a DR of 9 according to the Dynamic Range Database...

This does not mean a smashed disc cannot sound amazing...Maroon 5's 10th anniversary remix of Songs About Jane sounds amazing and is smashed to bits.

Lalo Schifrin LETTERS FROM ARGENTINA [ALEPH Records/Dualdisc: MLP DVD~A 5.1/96/24] Film/TV Composer Lalo Schifrin [Mission Impossible] returns to his native Argentinian roots in a magnificent live performance of 8 very special compositions in what can only be described as a state of the art recording in uncanny discrete sonics [especially for a LIVE recording]. Suddenly, the speakers disappear and the listening room becomes an environment. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

https://www.discogs.com/release/10483591-Lalo-Schifrin-Letters-From-Argentina

Letters from Argentina - Album by Lalo Schifrin | Spotify

Lalo Schifrin - Letters from Argentina (2006) FLAC

Last edited:
The average of all six channels might be DR9, but the front channels--which carry the bulk of the instrumentation--are usually around DR5.
Jonathan, I can assure you that I am bulldozing no one. When I recently had my new system installed....my Meridian rep who runs his own high end salon in Atlanta, GA assured me that with Meridian's new UHD722 HDMI Processor it would turn the OPPO 205 into a state of the art MQA/CD/DVD~A and SACD player. And at just over $2800 the UHD722 is not simply a switching box...it's somewhat of a miracle worker..and that little beast weighs 10 lbs.

ImageGen.ashx-2.jpeg

meridian-uhd722-hdmi-processor-rear-crop_659x174.jpg

Last edited:
Paul Young - No Parlez Dolby Atmos. This is a fun track, sounds flying about all over the place and the bass going waaaay down.
View attachment 103437
i've got a remote control caddy sitting on top of one of my subs and something on "No Parlez" made it vibrate so much the other day the remotes fell off the top and crash landed onto the floor!! 😱😅😂

Chicago VII ~ Released 50 years ago this week

This was the biggest pleasant surprise for me from the Quadio box, as I'd never heard anything from it but the Cetera-sung radio hits.
Their most ambitious project, perhaps the crown of their career.
Last of the incredible V>VI>VII run of three consecutive number one albums.

1710607561602.jpeg

From 1999-The Pineapple Thief (really Bruce Soord at this point)
Abducting The Unicorn from the box set-How Did We Find Our Way (1999-2006) released 6/23/2023.
In the box set it is renamed Abducted At Birth.
Atmos MKV File, 24bit/48Khz. DR's are 10, 11, 12's, 13's, 14's.
Original artwork and Box set.
R-1793856-1445797110-8423.jpg

R-27436545-1687438104-1019.jpg

Back