Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy Joel - The Stranger
58ed54cded15c4c24b384dcc979577a9.jpg

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-guide-199703/movin-out-anthonys-song-199732/

I LOVE this surround mix and album, …reminds me of going to bluegrass jam parties when I lived in NC. There were multiple different groups spread around the property and a few times I was lucky enough to sit right in the center of a session. Real-life surround sound acoustic music!!

It doesn’t get better than that but that album is the next best thing!

Matthias Frey NIGHTFIRE [Delta Entertainment/Multi~CH SACD 5.1/DSD Recording] A wildly interesting release of ambient, avant garde and jazz in immersive 5.1 but for a more discrete IMMERSIVE approach I put the disc in my Marantz SA 11S3 dedicated Stereo SACD player and engaged the SUPER DSP mode on my Meridian pre/pro and with the full engagement of all speakers including the sides it sounds AMAZING

https://www.discogs.com/release/9510675-Matthias-Frey-Nightfire

1604864374_front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Thomas SOMETHING TO BE [Atlantic Records/Dualdisc: MLP DVD~A 5.1 96/24] Debuted in 2005 at #1 on the US Billboard 200 charts and was certified double Platinum by the RIAA in the US. But how does the Dualdisc sound? In a word MARVELOUS! Haven't spun it in years [since 2006] but on my new system it really shone. Every instrument was articulated ...Rob's voice sounded strong and the rears while hardly showy displayed a lot of discrete elements.

Critically, Something to Be met with very mixed reviews ..... some critical of the Matchbook Twenty's lead singer grasping for straws while others praising the diversity and execution of the album.

Personally hearing it in such amazing fidelity on my new system reinforced that for the current asking price on discogs of 99 cents ..... I would advise the curious to take the plunge. I L❤️VED it! Extras include a documentary, photo gallery et alia!

https://www.discogs.com/release/4093897-Rob-Thomas-Something-To-Be

Primary
Secondary, 2 of 2

Last edited:
Way back when I only paid $10 + $3 s/h from AmazonUS and it was absolutely MINT ...ashame the price has skyrocketed but IMO, it is a VERY SPECIAL ALBUM superbly performed and recorded!
Way way back in the eighties when finding a full digital recording was exciting, Kitaro’s Asia was one of my favorite discs.

Rob Thomas SOMETHING TO BE [Atlantic Records/Dualdisc: MLP DVD~A 5.1 96/24] Debuted in 2005 at #1 on the US Billboard 200 charts and was certified double Platinum by the RIAA in the US. But how does the Dualdisc sound? In a word MARVELOUS! Haven't spun it in years [since 2006] but on my new system it really shone. Every instrument was articulated ...Rob's voice sounded strong and the rears while hardly showy displayed a lot of discrete elements.

Critically, Something to Be met with very mixed reviews ..... some critical of the Matchbook Twenty's lead singer grasping for straws while others praising the diversity and execution of the album.

Personally hearing it in such amazing fidelity on my new system reinforced that for the current asking price on discogs of 99 cents ..... I would advise the curious to take the plunge. I L❤️VED it! Extras include a documentary, photo gallery et alia!

https://www.discogs.com/release/4093897-Rob-Thomas-Something-To-Be

Primary
Secondary, 2 of 2
I found this in a used shop for $1.99, picked it up remembering someone on here posting about it.

On my system, I found even the 5.1 mastering to be harsh and the sound quality lacking. Not to mention I didn’t like the music but hey, to each their own!

Maybe I’ll give it another shot someday but I don’t see myself spinning this one in the near future.

I enjoyed reading your review, however!

I found this in a used shop for $1.99, picked it up remembering someone on here posting about it.

On my system, I found even the 5.1 mastering to be harsh and the sound quality lacking. Not to mention I didn’t like the music but hey, to each their own!
I'm convinced that this one and Springsteen's Devils & Dust 5.1 DualDisc line the $1 bins of every used vinyl/CD shop in the US :LOL:

I've always liked "Lonely No More" and if you solo the rears on the 5.1 mix, you can hear the dueling rhythm guitars on their own which is pretty neat. But that's probably the only nice thing I can say about this disc.

Maybe I’ll give it another shot someday but I don’t see myself spinning this one in the near future.

I enjoyed reading your review, however!
When I initially played it years ago on an older system, I remember being unimpressed and one poster on this forum described the front speakers as having the quality of AM [radio]

Fast forward .... just played it all the way through on my self amplified Meridian speakers ..... and I was absolutely astounded at the clarity and lack of compression. It really sounds amazing.....It was recorded at the HIT FACTORY in NYC and mastered @ Gateway Mastering so really not surprised! And it is encoded at a very high level which I suppose on some systems would contribute to the aura of compression. Absolutely non fatiguing on my system!

Realized I had something alphabetically before The Band. If only there was some consistency in the packaging of surround music.
image.jpg

Upgrading to Atmos has been great for actually listening to music for me. Before ripping all my discs and being able to listen to surround and surf, Listening to surround was a dedicated activity. Since the M1 Mac Mini doesn’t support Atmos, that state has returned to me. Theat focus on listening to the music was the main driver of my love of surround. I’ll think long and hard about upgrading the Mini.

Last edited:
Back