Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mahler SYMPHONY No. 2 Gilbert Kaplan conducting the Wiener Philharmoniker [DGG/2 Multi~CH SACDs] Kaplan was considered one of the foremost interpreters of Gustav Mahler even owning the original manuscript of Mahler's 2nd. A gorgeous recording from the DGG engineers! Highly Recommended

A little tidbit of info:

Mahler's own manuscript to the 2nd symphony, earlier owned by Gilbert Kaplan, was sold November 29, 2016 at an auction in London for 4,546,250 British pounds. (Source: The Guardian)

91Y-nCefNYL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
B.O.C. 50th Anniversary! Live in NYC.
Buck Dharma still has the chops, though his voice is noticeably weaker.
Richie still kicks ass on the guitar and keyboards. Very under rated guitar player, methinks.
Eric Bloom.. well what can you say? Still sounds the same.
They brought back Bouchard for another concert. Man he looks rough!

I suppose this will be about it for B.O.C. as far as filmed concerts in any venue...I hope not though.

My one gripe is all their BD's are DD 5.1. Why Richie? You're mixing, can't you get someone somehow to do lossless?

swiped the pic off the net:

photo_2024-03-18_16-19-40.jpg

Beethoven's NINE SYMPHONIES [COMPLETE] Gianandrea Noseda conducting the National Symphony Orchestra [NSO Records/5 Multi~CH SACDs/2 BD~As~Dolby Atmos/5.1 192/24/Stereo 192/24] What a pleasant surprise. For the amazing price of $25 [from Deep Discount] exquisite performances and sound. Also contains a 94 page multi~lingual glossy booklet in a sturdy compact clamshell box. Very Highly Recommended!

Classical SACD and Conversation | Page 140 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Last edited:
Pulled this out over the weekend, Japanese Quad SACD, laid backwards on my bed surrounded by 7 satellite speakers and wow, what a totally different listening experience from the stereo version. All that hootin' and hollerin', almost a different album. 30 bucks now at CD Japan. Beautiful foil cardboard treatment too.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 3.12.59 PM.png

Last edited:
Beethoven's NINE SYMPHONIES [COMPLETE] Gianandrea Noseda conducting the National Symphony Orchestra [NSO Records/5 Multi~CH SACDs/2 BD~As~Dolby Atmos/5.1 192/24/Stereo 192/24] What a pleasant surprise. For the amazing price of $25 [from Deep Discount] exquisite performances and sound. Also contains a 94 page multi~lingual glossy booklet in a sturdy compact clamshell box. Very Highly Recommended!

Classical SACD and Conversation | Page 140 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums
I have spun the 9th so far and enjoyed it.
It will be quite some time before I make it through the entire box.

Dishwalla OPALINE [Immergent/MLP DVD~A 5.1/96/24] Talk about an exceptional overlooked GEM. Have had this album for 20 years and probably played it years ago on an older system and didn't think much of it. Fast forward to 2024.....dug it out of the pile and played it @ 72 db on my NEW system and could not believe how brilliant it sounded ..... and not just the sound but the outstanding vocals, compositions and bombastic wall of cascading sounds coming out of my speakers. A revelation, in fact. Still available from discogs at a very reasonable price. And without sounding cheeky, if your system can handle it ... by all means buy it. A new favorite [played it 3 times in the last 3 days}! Mastered by Bob Ludwig @ Gateway Mastering and the discreteness is very tastefully there! Comes VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
https://www.discogs.com/release/11222608-Dishwalla-Opaline

Primary
Secondary, 2 of 5

Last edited:
Back