SDE’s Surround Series - Your Fantasy Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really looking forward to Keane but I wouldn't mind a classic rock remix next time around. Was Ten Years After the last classic rock reissue by SDE? Maybe SDE could reissue BOC's Agents of Fortune or Tyranny and Mutation. Maybe Kansas' Leftoverture- this was once advertised back in the 2000's as coming out on sacd. If SDE wants to do another 80's album, Iron Maiden's Killers or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

My List: 80's
1. Spandau Ballet- True
2. A Flock of Seagulls- Self Titled
3. Peter Gabriel-So
4. Kate Bush- Hounds of Love

90's
1. OMD-Sugar Tax
2. Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dreams/Mellon Collie
2. Pearl Jam-Vitalogy
3. Peter Murphy- Deep
4. Third Eye Blind- Self titled
5. Live-Throwing Cooper
6. Alice In Chains-Dirt
7. Matchbox Twenty- Yourself or Someone Like You
8. Mad Season-Above

All 7.1 Dolby Atmos Steven Wilson Mixes

My Atmos blu-ray wish list for SDE: classic albums from -
OMD
Talk Talk
Paul Horn
Penguin Cafe Orchestra
Yaz (Yazoo) + Alison Moyet
Big Country
Dead Can Dance + Lisa Gerrard
Cocteau Twins
Annie Lennox
This Mortal Coil
The The
Wall of Voodoo
Massive attack
Morcheeba
Mazzy Star
Radiohead
Blur (13)!
Afro Celt SoundSystem
Groove Armada
The Flaming Lips
Nitin Sawhney (Beyond Skin)!
Sinead O’Connor
Andrew Bird
Brian Eno
Parliament/ Funkadelic
Sigur Rós
Conjure One
Vangelis
The Future Sound Of London
Thievery Corporation
Moby
Phillip Glass (Koyaanisquatsi trilogy)!
Goldfrapp

OMD
Talk Talk
Paul Horn
Penguin Cafe Orchestra
Big Country
Cocteau Twins
Annie Lennox
This Mortal Coil
The The
Wall of Voodoo
Massive attack
Morcheeba
Mazzy Star
Radiohead
Blur (13)!
Afro Celt SoundSystem
Groove Armada
The Flaming Lips
Sinead O’Connor
Andrew Bird
Brian Eno
Parliament/ Funkadelic
Sigur Rós
Conjure One
Vangelis
Thievery Corporation
Moby
Goldfrapp
Well at least you're being realistic. :rolleyes:

OMD
Talk Talk
Paul Horn
Penguin Cafe Orchestra
Big Country
Cocteau Twins
Annie Lennox
This Mortal Coil
The The
Wall of Voodoo
Massive attack
Morcheeba
Mazzy Star
Radiohead
Blur (13)!
Afro Celt SoundSystem
Groove Armada
The Flaming Lips
Sinead O’Connor
Andrew Bird
Brian Eno
Parliament/ Funkadelic
Sigur Rós
Conjure One
Vangelis
Thievery Corporation
Moby
Goldfrapp
Of these I can see:

The Flaming Lips, 3 existing 5.1 mixes and a teased Yoshimi Atmos mix

Brian Eno, already had a release through SDE, and since then had 5 older albums receive streaming only mixes

Sigur Ros, two concert films with good, discrete 5.1 mixes (Heima was promised a 4K release about two years ago that hasn’t materialized just yet), as well as 3 streaming Atmos mixes, and a potential live album in atmos (a recording crew posted a tweet mentioning they recorded it with Atmos in mind… then promptly deleted the tweet)

Vangelis’s final album Juno to Jupiter has a streaming mix, there’s a distinct possibility of a release there

The Future Sound Of London, when they quit Virgin records claimed that “stereo sucks” and promised to release 5.1 mixes with their newfound freedom. They never did, though A Gigantic Globular Burst Of Antistatic, the album claimed to be their first 5.1 release did see a 5.1 version… for a museum exhibit. No 5.1 or other multichannel releases have actually been made.

Moby, the “Reprise” album of orchestral versions of classics got a Streaming atmos mix with a wide release disc a few months later. He has another album in that vein, Resound NYC that has a streaming atmos mix, but no disc atmos release

I have no clue if I've voiced my fantasy releases....here are a few;

AC/DC - Highway To Hell, Back In Black (If I can only have 1, then H2H)
April Wine - First Glance, The Nature Of The Beast (if I can only have 1, then NOTB)
Black Sabbath - whole Ozzy catalogue. All of it.
Devo - Freedom Of Choice
Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night
ELO - Greatest Hits (1979)
Gary Wright - Dream Weaver
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Krokus - Headhunter
Queen - News Of The World
REO - Hi Infidelity
Scorpions - Lonesome Crow
Van Halen - Women And Children First and Fair Warning

I love all genres and countries.....but I have a real soft spot for Synth pop and the so called New Romantics. Early Duran Duran would keep me happy for a while

I think it's worth pointing out to everyone submitting their fantasy list that there's only been ONE non UK artist release Bob Dylan (if you count Ireland as UK....I'm sorry Irish people!). It looks to me like Paul's contacts/relationships only extend so far.....but it could just be the music he likes. For me, I've been pretty happy with his releases so far.

I love all genres and countries.....but I have a real soft spot for Synth pop and the so called New Romantics. Early Duran Duran would keep me happy for a while

I think it's worth pointing out to everyone submitting their fantasy list that there's only been ONE non UK artist release Bob Dylan (if you count Ireland as UK....I'm sorry Irish people!). It looks to me like Paul's contacts/relationships only extend so far.....but it could just be the music he likes. For me, I've been pretty happy with his releases so far.
Actually XPropaganda is German

I think one issue with a lot of rock acts is that they typically have a string of albums considered classics, and their fans often are collectors, so if e.g. one Iron Maiden album came out in the SDE series and no other, there'd be a lot of people wanting to have more, and perhaps it would be followed up with another one a year later, and so on. It can get kinda messy and I think the fanbase of a lot of acts would probably prefer such a thing to happen within its own series, not as part of this particular program. GOS' wish of the whole Black Sabbath catalogue with Ozzy is a good example. I'm sure it would be a good idea to attempt but IMHO it needs its own concept, not this one.

I don't see this issue with most of the acts represented so far, because often the albums chosen are either new (therefore there's no expectation to get a whole slew by the same artist) or standout releases from a catalogue. Then, if it happens to be successful, of course there may be a follow-up as in the case of Tears for Fears but since they're not the most prolific band ever, even if every TFF album eventually appears in the series (and Tomcats Screaming Outside while we're at it - yeah, not likely, I know), they still wouldn't dominate the thing. Just like Wham! didn't dominate because they only made two albums, and those two discs pretty much cover everything they did.

So far, the SDE catalogue has been quite diverse and surprising, even if I wasn't moved to buy many of them.

Back