SDE’s Surround Series - Your Fantasy Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the most insane (pardon the pun) stereo mixes I ever heard was Linsey Buckingham's "Go Insane" release back in the 70's. I can just imagine how much fun a 5.1 or ATMOS mix of it would be.

Great 80s albums deserving SDE releases:

Oingo Boingo “Dead Man’s Party”
Big Country “The Crossing”
Huey Lewis & the News “Sports”
David Bowie “Let’s Dance”
Iron Maiden “Powerslave”

(We’re dreaming, right?)
Sports could in theory be feasible, since Bob Clearmountain's Atmos mix is already up on the streaming services and it's controlled by UMG (Capitol) who seem willing to work with SDE.

Do you like the mix?
Pretty typical Clearmountain surround mix with heavy use of the center speaker for kick drum/bass guitar/lead vocal and individual keyboard, guitar, synth, etc parts hard-panned into different speakers. For instance, the sax solo in "The Heart Of Rock 'n' Roll" is mixed almost entirely to the right side speaker. I think it sounds good, though there is some unpleasant distortion in "Heart and Soul" that I hope would be fixed for a Blu-Ray release.

Pretty typical Clearmountain surround mix with heavy use of the center speaker for kick drum/bass guitar/lead vocal and individual keyboard, guitar, synth, etc parts hard-panned into different speakers. For instance, the sax solo in "The Heart Of Rock 'n' Roll" is mixed almost entirely to the right side speaker. I think it sounds good, though there is some unpleasant distortion in "Heart and Soul" that I hope would be fixed for a Blu-Ray release.
I don't want to sidetrack this but for some reason, I find several mixes (various engineers) have a slight lean to the left. Maybe I need to recalibrate things....

In a way, it's the best Duran Duran album. But I don't think Steven Wilson likes DD.
☹️ Such a shame as he does like the 80’s. Sure it would have been amazing if he could have got his hands on the album - loads of lush sounding keyboards etc

In a way, it's the best Duran Duran album. But I don't think Steven Wilson likes DD.
Somebody tell him that Dave Gilmour plays guitar on the album, maybe that will entice him (and encourage more buyers)!

I would love to hear some of the following get surrounded:
Gamma 1
Early Sabbath
Some Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Devo
Judas Priest
More Yes
Early Robin Trower
Triumph
Styx
Early Scorpions
More Early Rush
More Queen
Led Zeppelin
Kansas
Heart
Foghat
ELO

To name a few

I would love to hear some of the following get surrounded:
Gamma 1
Early Sabbath
Some Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Devo
Judas Priest
More Yes
Early Robin Trower
Triumph
Styx
Early Scorpions
More Early Rush
More Queen
Led Zeppelin
Kansas
Heart
Foghat
ELO

To name a few

I cannot say NO to a single one of those. Yes, to all.

Back