Mark Knopfler - One Deep River (SDE exclusive Blu-Ray w/Dolby Atmos, limited to 2000, April '24)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, when I listened via Apple4K the top front heights where getting almost all the juice.
When I listened to the hard disc, via a ripped MKV file the 4 tops where getting pretty much an equal signal.
There is no RBCD of 16/44.1
I only ripped the stereo off the Blu Ray, 24/192, DR's are 9's, 10's, 11's, 12.
See screen shot
View attachment 104723
DR #'s look to be the same. I will stick with the Atmos, all day, everyday.

Yeah, that "spatialization" chart seems like kind of a silly way to evaluate a surround mix. Wouldn't putting a mono sound at equal level in all speakers at result in a high score?
Yes. It shows utilization but not discreetness. Maybe my interpretation is wrong but the gray and blue show maximum levels. The yellow shows RMS levels, which would be less than max.

I'm not "that guy" that puts his ear up to speakers to see what's playing. But I would have thought the center channel was carrying a lot of info with this mix. But the chart says it is the least used channel. If so, the center imaging is superb.

I only run 5.1.4. According to the chart, the album is capable of 9.1.6. So I gotta assume a lot is being folded on my rig. I would love to hear an opinion from someone who has such a setup.

But even with all the fold downs, this is one of the most impressive audio displays I own in terms of realism.

Yes. It shows utilization but not discreetness. Maybe my interpretation is wrong but the gray and blue show maximum levels. The yellow shows RMS levels, which would be less than max.

I'm not "that guy" that puts his ear up to speakers to see what's playing. But I would have thought the center channel was carrying a lot of info with this mix. But the chart says it is the least used channel. If so, the center imaging is superb.

I only run 5.1.4. According to the chart, the album is capable of 9.1.6. So I gotta assume a los is being folded on my rig. I would love to hear an opinion from someone who has such a setup.

But even with all the fold downs, this is one of the most impressive audio display I own in terms of realism.
There are nothing in the surround back speakers, the center channel seems to be mainly rhythm guitar. I don't have wides, so I don't know if there's output.

Unfortunately no. Possible are dsf, flac, iso, dff, wma, mp5, wav, dts, aiff, aif, ape and mp3.
With regard to copying/backing up your discs what exactly are your intensions?

Sadly it does not appear that your EverSolo player supports even lossy Dolby Digital AC3/EAC3 decoding, so there's no chance of even lossy Atmos...

Last edited:
I can play Atmos and hear the Downmix. But with Atmos I often lack bass. So my hope was that the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix would sound better with my setup.

First listen to Atmos Blu-Ray

I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of this Atmos mix.

It is not stereo front-centric. It is really a much more elaborated good Atmos mix.

Please see my initial review on the Poll thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...r-blu-ray-audio-dolby-atmos.35866/post-773964
I believe the mix gets much closer to the front centric experience when you don't have any wide speakers, like in my case. All the content of the wides goes to the front speakers and, while it is true that the top fronts are quite active, the feeling you get is just of an expanded stereo.
After many, many listens, I can tell now that I love the music, much more than I expected. Yet with my 5.1.4 setup, the Atmos mix is quite disappointing. But well, the quality of the music compensates it, at least a little bit.

I believe the mix gets much closer to the front centric experience when you don't have any wide speakers, like in my case. All the content of the wides goes to the front speakers and, while it is true that the top fronts are quite active, the feeling you get is just of an expanded stereo.
After many, many listens, I can tell now that I love the music, much more than I expected. Yet with my 5.1.4 setup, the Atmos mix is quite disappointing. But well, the quality of the music compensates it, at least a little bit.
This should be the concept of Object Oriented Atmos platform. When the objects are located in some 3D coordinates, not the same as 'bed channels', and with a "size" parameter big enough, It should be expected than with more speakers the rendered sound will be "better" or closer to the original intention. The image of the 3D location with less speakers could not be enough in some cases.

The Wides content, I think, should go both to the front and sides speakers, but in any case, the effect could be different, and also different in each one's room.

I am happy to have managed to install the Wides in my living room. The mixes not always make good use of them and when I get one, I see that the effort has been worth it.... and I try to explain it to my wife, to see if she understands it...

This mix is one of them.

This should be the concept of Object Oriented Atmos platform. When the objects are located in some 3D coordinates, not the same as 'bed channels', and with a "size" parameter big enough, It should be expected than with more speakers the rendered sound will be "better" or closer to the original intention. The image of the 3D location with less speakers could not be enough in some cases.

The Wides content, I think, should go both to the front and sides speakers, but in any case, the effect could be different, and also different in each one's room.

I am happy to have managed to install the Wides in my living room. The mixes not always make good use of them and when I get one, I see that the effort has been worth it.... and I try to explain it to my wife, to see if she understands it...

This mix is one of them.
A pity my living room geometry prevents me from adding any more speakers. Wides are completely out of the question.
I mentioned to my wife that perhaps I could be installing a false ceiling (didn't mention the purpose was to add more height speakers) and her reaction was priceless. I believe I'll keep my 5.1.4 layout for quite a while...

A pity my living room geometry prevents me from adding any more speakers. Wides are completely out of the question.
I mentioned to my wife that perhaps I could be installing a false ceiling (didn't mention the purpose was to add more height speakers) and her reaction was priceless. I believe I'll keep my 5.1.4 layout for quite a while...
In some mixes, if the room geometry is adequate, the addition of the rears (7.1.x), may enhance a lot the sound. When side surrounds are near to 90º and you get a different sound from the rear, instead of the side, the effect is very noticeable. (If the listening coach is against the wall.... no way)

In some mixes, if the room geometry is adequate, the addition of the rears (7.1.x), may enhance a lot the sound. When side surrounds are near to 90º and you get a different sound from the rear, instead of the side, the effect is very noticeable. (If the listening coach is against the wall.... no way)
Impossible in my case, sofa placed against a back wall :(

The A6 plays 5.1 Multichannel via HDMI. The A8 is a stereo unit.
Ok. I get it, so to get the 5.1 Dolby Digital, you would rip the 5.1 to MKV and then convert the MKV to split chapter FLAC and tag the chapters.. I use Audiomuxer for the conversion, but there are other ways.

You will loose audio quality compared to the. MKV because the 5.1 stream is lossy to begin with. Im not sure if this will remedy your issue with weak bass.

Back