What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
George Benson - Breezin Dvd-A New Sealed.......30.00 - was a big GB fan about 20 years ago - looking forward to see what they did with this. Wish they would have done "While the City Sleeps" on 5.1
Derek & the Dominoes - Sacd - not the Box set - I ordered before reading ya'lls reviews......have not listened to yet, kind of scared to listen to it - only paid about 20 bux used with shipping. It is one of my fave albums of all time. Scared its gonna scar it for me.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my fellow surround sound seekers. I got these two the last couple of days. The Paul Simon was a steal at $12.50, shipping included.

51UZym25v3L._SY300_.jpg

51QyXV6lwFL._SY300_.jpg

Can I ask from where? That's a tough one to find. Also wondering how much you spent if you don't mind. I can't find one for under $100.

Roxy Music - Avalon Sacd went off at 72 bux with free shipping today 12/25 on Ebay..............hope that was you that snagged it MD
/

No sadly not me . I've sworn off spending that much on one title when I can get 3 DVD audios for the same price. That's one that I'll just have to forever be kicking myself for not buying at regular price back at Tower in the early 00s.

No sadly not me . I've sworn off spending that much on one title when I can get 3 DVD audios for the same price. That's one that I'll just have to forever be kicking myself for not buying at regular price back at Tower in the early 00s.

Ahhhh thats too bad - it is a beautiful piece - Well whats ur price point maybe one day someone will put it up for a buy it now not knowing what they have for some unreal low price........might be able pick up for u.........but that is like dreaming but ya never know. I watch ebay and such like a Snoodhawk with updates on phone and emails.

I have an email alert from Ebay that tells me any time Avalon comes up. I'm partial to DVD-Audios. I can play them in my car thanks to the JVC head unit I have so I'll usually spend a little more on those than SACDs. It's interesting that I can find great deals on those which seem to have had a lot less inventory of them in the time they were out versus Avalon which was a pretty big release.

Speaking of which, just won this earlier today. Like fredblue, I have to hear Monday Morning as that was always a DVD-A release that I was sad that never got put out.

$_35.JPG

I have an email alert from Ebay that tells me any time Avalon comes up. I'm partial to DVD-Audios. I can play them in my car thanks to the JVC head unit I have so I'll usually spend a little more on those than SACDs. It's interesting that I can find great deals on those which seem to have had a lot less inventory of them in the time they were out versus Avalon which was a pretty big release.

Speaking of which, just won this earlier today. Like fredblue, I have to hear Monday Morning as that was always a DVD-A release that I was sad that never got put out.

View attachment 12294

Well I hope eventually you can find one

BTW thanks for the Acura suggestion, one more item I need to pick up.............I saw Lindsey Buckingham last year on his solo alone act.......FANTASTIC. Caught them Live back in 82 I think on their Mirage Tour......Became a huge Lindsey Buckingham Fan after that, even though was A FM fan already. I wish they would have released Fleetwood Mac also - I'm So Afraid would be epic to have on 5.1

If ya dont mind, how much did the Acura disc run ya??

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my fellow surround sound seekers. I got these two the last couple of days. The Paul Simon was a steal at $12.50, shipping included.

View attachment 12292

View attachment 12293

The Paul Simon sounds fabulous! (bit of a snoozefest in parts, musically) and the mix is Quad (no centre channel.!!) :)

George Benson - Breezin Dvd-A New Sealed.......30.00 - was a big GB fan about 20 years ago - looking forward to see what they did with this. Wish they would have done "While the City Sleeps" on 5.1
Derek & the Dominoes - Sacd - not the Box set - I ordered before reading ya'lls reviews......have not listened to yet, kind of scared to listen to it - only paid about 20 bux used with shipping. It is one of my fave albums of all time. Scared its gonna scar it for me.

Breezin's a funny one..

..it's certainly discrete surround, though often there's scant unique stuff happening in the rears so it doesn't feel very engaging or immersive as decent surround music does/should (literally a lone tambourine bash rear left for instance in one track..)..

..but my biggest complaints with the 5.1 on the DVD-A are:

1.) fidelity, which has a congested quality and lacks top end air (almost like somebody left Dolby NR on - by mistake!)..

and 2.) the mix itself is reverb-o-gasmatronic! Wetter than a wet thing on the wettest Wednesday since records of wetness began! "This Masquerade" sounds like it was recorded through the wall of a goldfish bowl with a towel thrown over it..!!!

After you've played thru the 5.1 a few times, try the Hi-Rez stereo thru PLII Music and see which you prefer :eek:

the only truly great thing on the DVD-A for me, sound & mixwise, is "Down Here On The Ground".. a bonus.. which initially made me a bit suss about certain aspects of source/mastering/mixing etc for the original album... that I've since forgotten about as I never play it anymore! :p

View attachment 12294

that is a fantastic DVD-A Demo disc! the unreleased Mac track is lovely icing on a yummy cake! :D

$18 with shipping. It wasn't listed as a DVD-Audio. So when you're looking check Acura DVD. I saw a new one that just went up today.

$18 with shipping. It wasn't listed as a DVD-Audio. So when you're looking check Acura DVD. I saw a new one that just went up today.

I guess its the same fella I got mine from on eBay, same place, same price, new & sealed. really is a terrific disc, such a cool selection of tracks, great to hear Steve Miller 5.1 in Hi-Rez and Monday Morning.. wow.. if only more of Elliot Scheiner's surround mixes could escape the vaults soon!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back