What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 48 SHM SACDs. Can anyone top that?

Wow! :yikes

Not me! I've only got 3! (EJ self titled, EJ Yellow Brick Rd., Stevie Songs in Key of Life).. :eek:

..the rest I've been slowly getting on Platinum SHM-CD or Turquoise HR Cutting SHM-CD, they all have the same DSD mastering from the original analogue tapes as the SHM-SACDs..

..and I have to say, so far I LOVE what I've been hearing!

The SHM's of Stevie's Innervisions & Talking Book top Matousek's 80's Motown CDs.. Supertramp's Breakfast In America wipes the floor with the Blu-ray and gives the old AM+ more than a run for its money.. even "Aja" which gets a bit of a mixed rep sounds wonderful to me (and I had every version going already, including what SH has officially stated as his CD mastering)..

Last edited:
I got ZERO SHM SACDs..

Don't believe in SACDs...sorry for the threadcrap-I'd take a well mastered CD over an Stereo SACD anytime....

The SHM-CD & SHM-SACD formats are a waste of money and sound no better than their original counterparts. The only reason to purchase one is for a particular title that you can't find in the non-SHM format. But watch out for those highly compressed releases...double waste! :yikes

The SHM-CD & SHM-SACD formats are a waste of money and sound no better than their original counterparts. The only reason to purchase one is for a particular title that you can't find in the non-SHM format. But watch out for those highly compressed releases...double waste! :yikes

Absolutely. I have quite a few SACDs, but prefer in general DVD-A/BD-A, but bad mastering can ruin any format. I've found that Japanese CDs/SACDs releases tend to be pretty good. I was after replacing old CDs, the two SHM-SACDs I have aren't compressed.

And every one non-surround! I bought a couple SHM SACDs in the early days but didn't impresses. Don't bother anymore.

Actually the more recent SHM-SACDs are much better than the earlier ones. After the series got some traction, more attention was paid to getting closer to the original masters. That has paid off in much better releases.
Some of the SHM-SACDs are very good.

See the SHM-SACD thread started by Bob Squires Jr here on QQ at https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?18144-New-Universal-SHM-SACDs

I just feel the SHM format, in general, is a crock of $hit. That "Super High Material" is supposed to make a difference in the sound quality for the better (so they say) but out of the several that I compared very closely with their non-SHM counterparts, I did not detect a difference what-so-ever.

I just feel the SHM format, in general, is a crock of $hit. That "Super High Material" is supposed to make a difference in the sound quality for the better (so they say) but out of the several that I compared very closely with their non-SHM counterparts, I did not detect a difference what-so-ever.

I don't have any thoughts on the "SHM" part of the discussion. But some of the SHM-SACDs are excellent as Stereo SACDs! :)

I'll have 49 in a few days having just ordered Asia Alpha yesterday. And for the platinum SHM CD non-believers I also ordered Brothers In Arms (with the LP versions).

I'll have 49 in a few days having just ordered Asia Alpha yesterday. And for the platinum SHM CD non-believers I also ordered Brothers In Arms (with the LP versions).

Haven't counted my SHM-SACDs but I know I have more than Fred (3) and less than Cupboy (49) !

The SHM thing probably is a crock.. and is in no way the draw for me.. some of these discs have absolutely sensational mastering, unique to these SHM's.. so to pass on them just because of the SHM bit means really you're missing out imho :eek:

The Aja 2010 DSD SHM, for example, that's had mixed reviews really sounds superb to me and knocks every other CD mastering going (and I've got every CD version going!) into a cocked hat! :p

Don't think I have that much time. The only ones I'd recommend against would be Blind Faith (get the platinum SHM instead since it has a new mastering) and Steve Wonder Songs In The Key Of Life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back