ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here, I'll make it easier (and less expensive) for them:

Just transfer the multis for the Piano Concerto, and Pirates. Remix in surround.

Release that (plus upmixed Fanfare -- which btw sounds like it has maybe an overdub or two, and was probably edited) as the next surround ELP album.

Or, if they don't want to invest a lot, do a "best of Works" disc with Pirates, the Concerto, A couple from Greg's side (C'est la Vie and Closer to Believing maybe, toss in Enemy God and and Tank from Carl's side, then grab some stuff from Works 2 like BSS (the song), Father Christmas and a couple others.

But I'd rather just get all of it out there. It doesn't have to ben a big fancy expensive box, just all the music from that era.

And hey, I'll even give them a title - "The Whole Works"

The BIG (and i mean BIG) problem with the 3 tape set is that the extermely vast majority of Tape 2 had SERIOUS flutter problem, from barely tolerable to trashcan level, so everyone that has these tapes was kinda disheartening on doing something that:
1) will sound bad in several spot
2) where the quad mix does historically resemble the mix done in the concerts (there are very old threads here about someone that was present at the gigs recorded and released) so the rear channels are 95% silent until some keyboard effect jumps from the back.

Given the actual excellent state of the extraction and upmixing tools, it may be easier and resulting in a better sound just to take the regular stereo release and, using a bad-quality q8 transfer as a quad mix reference, recreate the quad mix using modern digital tools.

Back