Used DVD-A & SACD player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blrac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I am searching for a used player that has hdmi to use with my receiver. I don't care on brand, color, etc. I only want those 2 formats. I am looking for under $200. Which unfortunately rules out any Oppo I have seen. This is for my secondary system for my new house. If I could find a blu ray player that does these, that would be best (I have one, but that deal is gone) but it has been cost prohibitive so far in my search so not a necessity. I am looking at Denon atm, 2910, 2930, 3910 appear to be the best options, but figured I would ask to see what other brands to shop for.

I am searching for a used player that has hdmi to use with my receiver. I don't care on brand, color, etc. I only want those 2 formats. I am looking for under $200. Which unfortunately rules out any Oppo I have seen. This is for my secondary system for my new house. If I could find a blu ray player that does these, that would be best (I have one, but that deal is gone) but it has been cost prohibitive so far in my search so not a necessity. I am looking at Denon atm, 2910, 2930, 3910 appear to be the best options, but figured I would ask to see what other brands to shop for.

The Yamaha BD-A1010 and BD-A1020 are both universal players that might be available used at that price.

I have a Denon 2910 as my DVD-A/SACD player and I could never get it to play multichannel through the digital output, it would just lock up. It came out before the HDMI spec was finalized so what's on the back is a DVI-D (computer monitor) connector that can supposedly pass HDCP if you buy a DVI to HDMI cable. I did this and plugged it in to my Denon AVR-2310 amp and it just wasn't happening. I even managed to flash the 2910 with the last/final firmware and it didn't help...I'm not sure if it's an issue with my amp taking uncompressed PCM over HDMI because other uncompressed sources (BluRay etc.) worked fine.

Having said that the 2910 is a great player otherwise, and sounds excellent. When they came out they cost what top of the line Oppos cost today. I've had mine since the beginning of 2005 and it still works flawlessly. The prices you can get them at these days are a steal, especially for the 3910's which are even better.

I've a Denon 2930 DVD-A/SACD which is now my back-up (as I got a DBP-2012UD to add Blu-ray). Its a great player, HDMI works fine as does the analogue 5.1 output, its got settable multi-channel timing correction as well. It also does a good job with CDs & HDCDs, plus more sturdily constructed than the 2012UD.

Does anyone know the differences, mainly for audio, using hdmi only, between the Oppo 980, 981, & 983? I am speaking about quality of components and output quality, not necessarily analog inputs or dacs (at this time, anyway) to justify spening more than the lowest priced option?

Just a generalization and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with HDMI, the quality or lack thereof is almost entirely dependent on your Receiver/Amp, since that is where the digital to analog conversion is taking place. So, in it a nutshell, if you are married to HDMI, it shouldn't make much difference...

Just a generalization and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with HDMI, the quality or lack thereof is almost entirely dependent on your Receiver/Amp, since that is where the digital to analog conversion is taking place. So, in it a nutshell, if you are married to HDMI, it shouldn't make much difference...

Analog out and the player is doing all the work, HDMI and it's the avr doing it. The reason why an avr should have bass management.

I suggest you to buy a used Pioneer BDP-450 (62fd). It supports 2D/3D BD(-R), DVD-A/V(-R) and SACD(-R) playback out of the box and with fw modification it can also support BD, DVD-A/V, SACD, mch FLAC and other media file playback through USB and network.

Hello to all.

Is there a reliable list of mch SACD/DVD-A players that do not convert DSD to PCM?

I don't need to use any bass management capabilities.

Back