Is it possible to record a SACD disc to a Quad tape

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am totally new to the whole SCAD process, but came across an article regarding the original quad mix by Alan Parsons for DSOTM. As I have an Akai 4 channel tape recording unit, I was wondering if it is possible to record this from the disc to tape in close to discrete 4 channel.

If your SACD player has RCA outputs not HDMI
you can record them into the inputs of your Tape recorder
But you can only record 4 channels not the front centre
And the sound will be a lower grade but not bad

The SACD does not contain Alan Parsons' original quad mix. Instead, it has a new 5.1 mix by James Guthrie.
You can find the quad mix on the Bluray disc that comes with the DSOTM Immersion box set.
Indeed, you need multichannel analog out on the device (i.e. the bluray player) to record the analog signal with your tape recorder. But why would you want to do that when you can listen to the original source off the disc directly?

The SACD does not contain Alan Parsons' original quad mix. Instead, it has a new 5.1 mix by James Guthrie.
You can find the quad mix on the Bluray disc that comes with the DSOTM Immersion box set.
Indeed, you need multichannel analog out on the device (i.e. the bluray player) to record the analog signal with your tape recorder. But why would you want to do that when you can listen to the original source off the disc directly?

This shows you how little I know of the SCAD part. Yes that was the write up I was reading and when I saw that the original Alan Parson's mix was on the set, I thought this would be an opportunity to clean up a 'scratching' sound that has gotten on my quad 8 track. Yes I have an original quad 8 track that I listen too often. Now I find from the write up it is not actually true discrete, but decoded. I am purchasing the DSOTM immersion set and thought this might be a 'fix'.

Like my nik name implies....I have nearly all the original 8 track quads I could buy in the 70's, with the exception of classics and an Akai play/record CR 80 SS that is in near perfect condition. It still records fine on my inventory of never opened 8 track blanks.

Thanks for the feedback

If your SACD player has RCA outputs not HDMI
you can record them into the inputs of your Tape recorder
But you can only record 4 channels not the front centre
And the sound will be a lower grade but not bad

Right. You'd need a 6 or 8 channel recorder or setup to record a 5.1 album like the Multichannel SACD edition of Dark Side of the Moon.
With a 4 Channel recorder, you'd miss two of the channels from the SACD.

Back