Is MFSL about to release Chicago quads?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadwreck

Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I'm picking up some buzz that MFSL is going to release the first two Chicago quads in the near future, format unknown, maybe featuring only the SQ tapes, maybe also with the 4-channel tapes. None of this is confirmed.

It would be nice if MFSL could learn to take advantage of the 5.1 layer on their SACDs. They've released so many SACD titles (Piano Man, Streetlife Serenade, What's Going On, That's the Way of the World, etc...) of albums that have already been mixed into quad. It seems such a waste to me that they never included the quad mixes on the SACDs.

That would be terrific if it comes to pass! Thank you for the info.

I imagine MFSL have seen the success of Audio Fidelity's Surround SACD programme (apparently the B,S&T 5.1 is sold out already and another run is being pressed!) and feel they now have an opportunity to get in on the action too.

Wouldn't it be ironic if all these years down the line SACD were to make a comeback into the rock & pop surround market?

"Watch this space", I guess!

Well,
I would not buy CTA, II or V since I have retail surround versions of those already. I still feel violated by Rhino (but glad I got CTA at retail price). What QUADS are left of real interest after that? X? Blech!

Well,
I would not buy CTA, II or V since I have retail surround versions of those already. I still feel violated by Rhino (but glad I got CTA at retail price). What QUADS are left of real interest after that? X? Blech!
III, VI, VII (!!!!!!), VIII (!!!!), IX (Greatest Hits would need a nice remaster). I'd buy them all!!!

That would be terrific if it comes to pass! Thank you for the info.

I imagine MFSL have seen the success of Audio Fidelity's Surround SACD programme (apparently the B,S&T 5.1 is sold out already and another run is being pressed!) and feel they now have an opportunity to get in on the action too.

Wouldn't it be ironic if all these years down the line SACD were to make a comeback into the rock & pop surround market?

"Watch this space", I guess!

We know that the Chicago Multichannel tapes are out there. The group's reps offered more than 1 to Rhino in the Quadio days. And MFSL may be impressed with what Audio Fidelity is doing with Multichannel SACD. Interesting rumor !

Chicago VII is one of my all time favorite quad mixes from the Columbia SQ/Q8 era.

Must buys for me! :)

Well,

The II and V DVD-A's are modern 5.1 remixes, we're talking about the vintage Quads maaaaaan..! :D

This would be great news when and if confirmed. Any Terry Kath era Chicago I would purchase. I've already pre-ordered the other MFSL discs.

This would be great news when and if confirmed. Any Terry Kath era Chicago I would purchase. I've already pre-ordered the other MFSL discs.

It's certainly a QQ scoop if true. I haven't heard this rumor anywhere else.

I'm also wondering about the 4X Oversampling that MoFi was to show at CES. No news on that either.

Time to ask about this on the MoFi Facebook page, perhaps ?

It's certainly a QQ scoop if true. I haven't heard this rumor anywhere else.

I'm also wondering about the 4X Oversampling that MoFi was to show at CES. No news on that either.

Time to ask about this on the MoFi Facebook page, perhaps ?

Uh oh.. You don't think the 4x bit could have been misheard on the ol' grapevine.. or Quad-DSD got fuzzled up in chinese whispers as Quadraphonic..? :eek:

Uh oh.. You don't think the 4x bit could have been misheard on the ol' grapevine.. or Quad-DSD got fuzzled up in chinese whispers as Quadraphonic..? :eek:

Actually I just found a pre-CES article that says the first 3 MFSL 4x upsampled SACDs are The Band's Last Waltz, Love and The Pretenders. So it sounds like they may already be using the 4x technology on released SACDs.

On the Quad Multichannel SACDs by Chicago on MFSL rumor, still haven't heard anything on that.

Actually I just found a pre-CES article that says the first 3 MFSL 4x upsampled SACDs are The Band's Last Waltz, Love and The Pretenders. So it sounds like they may already be using the 4x technology on released SACDs.

On the Quad Multichannel SACDs by Chicago on MFSL rumor, still haven't heard anything on that.

Interesting.. the plot thickens..! :)

Maybe hold ups with the Quads (licensing or the tapes themselves etc.?) is why it's taken so long for MFSL to get these Chicago titles to market?

Although AF have hit the ground running with their surround SACDs, they're positively flying out!

Well, I know that, since I categorized them all as "surround", but then you knew I knew that, right? Very satisfied with both II and V in 5.1 and would not rebuy as 4.0, but after having my memory jumpstarted, I suppose III, VI and VII would be worthwhile.

Well, I know that, since I categorized them all as "surround", but then you knew I knew that, right? Very satisfied with both II and V in 5.1 and would not rebuy as 4.0, but after having my memory jumpstarted, I suppose III, VI and VII would be worthwhile.

Oh, well I just thought as the Quads of II and V are quite different from the DVD-A 5.1's of the same albums it might still appeal.. I'm sorry I didn't know that you knew (that I knew that you knew.. or whatever it was.. essentially I presumed nothing and posted with a sense of fun and a good heart) but anyhoo it's all good, I get where you're coming from now (y)

..whether or not it's worthwhile having both Quad and 5.1 of the same albums is up to the individual, of course.. I can see why people who already own II and V in one form of surround wouldn't feel the need to purchase another surround mix of the same, even if they're different surround mixes.. but personally speaking, count me "in", I love the 5.1's on the DVD-A's but I love Chicago and I love Quad so I'd be all over all new MFSL Chicago Quads like nobody's business..! Waaaayyyy-haaaayyy!!

It'll probably never happen though and all this will have been but idle chit-chat.. but it's fun to fantasise before the bubble bursts! :D

More Chicago albums in High-Res surround would definitely be welcome!
All I have at this point is the SACD of Chicago V, so the Quad mixes on SACD would definitely be buy worthy! :)

Back