Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
François Devienne (SACD)

Quartets for Flute & Bassoon.

Musica Reale

What a beautiful recording from Channel Classics! :wave

Edgar Winter Group - They Only Cme out at Night on a Mint come. Q8 (Panasonic quad deck). Sounds amazingly good, actually. Better than the SQ LP anyway. :)

Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come out at Night on a Mint condition Q8 tape (on a Panasonic quad deck). Sounds amazingly good, actually. Better than the SQ encoded LP anyway. :)

Last edited:
:banana:

54F9D19F-E60F-4E46-81A8-0026FA8E5D84.jpg

"Chicago X" (DTS-HD Master Quadio 4.0)
We really are so lucky to have this set!

:)

I have an LG Blu Ray player that can internally decode DTS-HD Master and I'd really like to get that album you have but I've run out of 6 channel inputs, lol (Running an older Yamaha RX-V1 I've had forever. It's still a beast) BUT I did snag on eBay a mint Chicago Q8 quadraphonic greatest hits. (It's missing "If you leave me now") I know me, however, I'll get the Blu Ray connected along with the vintage quad gear and SACD player....and will start buying BluRays, lol. I hope this Chicago Quad 8 track sounds as good as some of the better ones I have.

Ripping my music to my NAS has been the greatest thing ever. I keep finding discs I totally don't remember owning. :mad:@:
Here's another one... Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms SACD! I had no clue.... sounds outstanding!

Ripping my music to my NAS has been the greatest thing ever. I keep finding discs I totally don't remember owning. :mad:@:
Here's another one... Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms SACD! I had no clue.... sounds outstanding!

BTW, Brothers in Arms was from a 16 bit PCM Master. In addition to the SACD it's also available as a MLP DVD~A 5.1. And yes, it is OUTSTANDING!

How would you describe the sound of the Williams SACD? The only review I found online was from sa-cd.net and the reviewer was less than generous about it. I'd love to add it to my collection but if the sound is so/so, I'd pass.

I think it sounds pretty good, but my system isn't audiophile grade. The surround mix in the Concierto de Aranjuez is very front-heavy, not sure if they used the quad source or it's just a very ambient mix.

Well Gene, I'm at it again with good old...

Floyd Cramer - Super Country Hits & the Young and the Restless (SACD)

I have to say that this one is even better. His style certain suits Country Western music. But the real show stopper here for me is.... The Young and The Restless theme song. Time just stopped when that piano starts...:eek:

I have to say that this one is even better. His style certain suits Country Western music. But the real show stopper here for me is.... The Young and The Restless theme song. Time just stopped when that piano starts...:eek:

haha - nice. I agree!

Be sure to share your comments - and rating - of this Floyd Cramer Surround SACD on the Hi Rez Poll
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-COUNTRY-HITS-THE-YOUNG-AND-THE-RESTLESS-SACD

An unabashedly hopeless romantic, eh, Brett? That Young and Restless theme is certainly beautiful and I agree that the two Floyd Cramer SACDs are lovely and the strings sound oh so heart wrenching on my system.

As I type these words, we're experiencing the Blizzard of '17 [actually, a Nor'easter blanketing the East Coast] so a great day to catch up on ALL things surround and otherwise.........:banana:

Super Furry Animals 'Rings Around The World' (2001).

Don't often post in this thread but I wanted to bring people's attention to this album, because it's amazing. These guys were really big in the UK but I don't think their success ever really translated to the US. It's hard to describe their sound exactly, but it's somewhere between The Flaming Lips and The Beach Boys, with a heavy dose of psychedelic rock thrown in.

SFA released this album and the follow-up (Phantom Power, from 2003) on DVD-Vs a bit like Beyonce's 'visual album', there's a video for every song. There's also a host of remixes (in stereo) and other bonus content. 'Rings' also includes 5 non-album tracks mixed in to 5.1 as well.

The bad: this is a 768kbps DTS DVD-V, and the authoring makes it a bit complicated to rip to FLAC (if you wanted to do such a thing).

The good: the sound quality is great, and the 5.1 mix is discrete and about as active as it gets (including quad style around the room swirls and other craziness), the mastering isn't loud at all (tracks range from DR10 to DR13) and even though it's out of print you can get copies on ebay/amazon US/UK for next to nothing.

sfa.jpg

I'm glad you have posted :banana: I've this on CD but didn't know a 5.1 mix of it was available, so I just ordered the DVD, thanks! I've the "Love Kraft" SACD.

Super Furry Animals 'Rings Around The World' (2001).

Don't often post in this thread but I wanted to bring people's attention to this album, because it's amazing. These guys were really big in the UK but I don't think their success ever really translated to the US. It's hard to describe their sound exactly, but it's somewhere between The Flaming Lips and The Beach Boys, with a heavy dose of psychedelic rock thrown in.

SFA released this album and the follow-up (Phantom Power, from 2003) on DVD-Vs a bit like Beyonce's 'visual album', there's a video for every song. There's also a host of remixes (in stereo) and other bonus content. 'Rings' also includes 5 non-album tracks mixed in to 5.1 as well.

The bad: this is a 768kbps DTS DVD-V, and the authoring makes it a bit complicated to rip to FLAC (if you wanted to do such a thing).

The good: the sound quality is great, and the 5.1 mix is discrete and about as active as it gets (including quad style around the room swirls and other craziness), the mastering isn't loud at all (tracks range from DR10 to DR13) and even though it's out of print you can get copies on ebay/amazon US/UK for next to nothing.

sfa.jpg

I'm glad you have posted :banana: I've this on CD but didn't know a 5.1 mix of it was available, so I just ordered the DVD, thanks! I've the "Love Kraft" SACD.

SFA's "Phantom Power" also on DVD-V in 5.1, if you don't have it already Duncan?
just as good as Rings Around The World & Love Kraft in Surround imho :)

Back