What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had several spins of Gavin Harrison's "Cheating the Polygraph" since it arrived.

I have to qualify this - I have spent many years listening to wind ensembles, drum corps, and big bands. I am also a huge prog-rock fan, and Porcupine Tree is high on my list of faves. Soo...

1) The tunes are barely recognizable. If you are familiar with the PT catalog, then you will be able to JUST pull the originals from the presentation. This is not a criticism. In the same way that many romantic era pieces borrow in a subtle way from the composer's native folk tradition, this album borrows from PT. It is recognizable without being overly-derivative.

2) The musicianship on this album is second-to-nothing. The rhythmic complexity and percussion work is outstanding. We should all expect that given whose name is on that album. But the FAT FAT FAT jazz harmonies and horn playing are just outstanding. Put the percussion, rhythmic complexity, harmony, and brilliant execution together in one place and you get an exemplary album.

3) The mix is excellent - both in surround and stereo. The dynamic range is there. The detail is high. The separation and balance are there.

If you've never liked, or even listen to Porcupine Tree - ignore that fact. Give this album a spin. It is unique in every way imaginable - and delightful. If you ARE familiar with the originals of the tunes on this album then be prepared to have your mind blown.

An alternative title might be "Not the Benny Goodman Orchestra". Not that I dislike Benny Goodman. But if you think of Benny Goodman or something like that when you think big band, think again and give this one a listen - on iTunes if you have to.

Have had several spins of Gavin Harrison's "Cheating the Polygraph" since it arrived.

I have to qualify this - I have spent many years listening to wind ensembles, drum corps, and big bands. I am also a huge prog-rock fan, and Porcupine Tree is high on my list of faves. Soo...

1) The tunes are barely recognizable. If you are familiar with the PT catalog, then you will be able to JUST pull the originals from the presentation. This is not a criticism. In the same way that many romantic era pieces borrow in a subtle way from the composer's native folk tradition, this album borrows from PT. It is recognizable without being overly-derivative.

2) The musicianship on this album is second-to-nothing. The rhythmic complexity and percussion work is outstanding. We should all expect that given whose name is on that album. But the FAT FAT FAT jazz harmonies and horn playing are just outstanding. Put the percussion, rhythmic complexity, harmony, and brilliant execution together in one place and you get an exemplary album.

3) The mix is excellent - both in surround and stereo. The dynamic range is there. The detail is high. The separation and balance are there.

If you've never liked, or even listen to Porcupine Tree - ignore that fact. Give this album a spin. It is unique in every way imaginable - and delightful. If you ARE familiar with the originals of the tunes on this album then be prepared to have your mind blown.

An alternative title might be "Not the Benny Goodman Orchestra". Not that I dislike Benny Goodman. But if you think of Benny Goodman or something like that when you think big band, think again and give this one a listen - on iTunes if you have to.

Burning Shed lists this as a DVD-V. Is it really a DVD-A?

View attachment 18752
I'm trying to build up a collection of classical music - 13 discs so far consisting of: Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Frans Schubert, Ravel, Handel, Vivaldi, and Strauss.

I decided I should have some Bach and I got this one a week ago. I am surprised by the fact that I want to keep hearing this one over and over. Usually, once in a while, I want to listen to classical music which is probably like most of us who aren't fanatical about the genre but still have some interest. But these Brandenburg Concertos, for me, are addictive. Every note seems to be exactly the note you'd want to hear next. I'm starting to get an idea why people go bonkers over this stuff.
Contrary to what it says on the back cover this is a 4.0 mix; not 5.1. But IMO that does not matter. It is discrete. The fidelity is great. I got the 2 disc sacd version. It also comes a a single disc blu-ray.

That was my very first Bach title that I got (the DVD-A edition), and I was hooked on the first listen. Before that I'd only ever heard just segments of the Brandenburgs, but it took me a long time to finally get one. Since then, I've found myself collecting different performances of them on DVD-A and SACD - I think I have seven now. If you can find a copy of Silverline Classics DualDisc edition performed by the Academy of St. James, I think you'd probably like that a lot as well.

Glad you finally got this one as it's my favorite in the blue 1976-1982 box. I think this particular SACD is one of the rarer ones now.

I've never been able to find the Blue SACD box for anywhere approaching sensible coinage.. Yes, this is one of the rarer/pricier ones now.. grabbed it on Amazon UK marketplace the other day for £15! Hoorah! :D

View attachment 18752
I'm trying to build up a collection of classical music - 13 discs so far consisting of: Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Frans Schubert, Ravel, Handel, Vivaldi, and Strauss.

I decided I should have some Bach and I got this one a week ago. I am surprised by the fact that I want to keep hearing this one over and over. Usually, once in a while, I want to listen to classical music which is probably like most of us who aren't fanatical about the genre but still have some interest. But these Brandenburg Concertos, for me, are addictive. Every note seems to be exactly the note you'd want to hear next. I'm starting to get an idea why people go bonkers over this stuff.

I know exactly how feel. The more I listen to classical music the more wonderful and meaningful it becomes. It is a fascinating and rewarding journey of endless discovery. And now in 4.0 and 5.1, my addiction and passion are in interstellar overdrive... to the stars and beyond...

:51banana:

I look forward to sharing our experiences with classical (and all) music with everyone here. :brew

View attachment 18752

Contrary to what it says on the back cover this is a 4.0 mix; not 5.1. But IMO that does not matter. It is discrete. The fidelity is great. I got the 2 disc sacd version. It also comes a a single disc blu-ray.

I got this one just last month and it's wonderful. I like how each different concerto takes a different approach to the surround mix. I got the BluRay from importcds who had a good price.

I've never been able to find the Blue SACD box for anywhere approaching sensible coinage.. Yes, this is one of the rarer/pricier ones now.. grabbed it on Amazon UK marketplace the other day for £15! Hoorah! :D

I would think that the DVDs in those sets will become rare collector's items also, because of the interviews and performance footage that aren't being passed on to the blu-ray editions.
I think that was a poor decision...

I just bought this one for €60,- :

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 178
I just bought this one for €60,- :

That's crazy awesome! (Crazy cause of the price but awesome because it's a fine mix indeed!)
I still need to locate this one myself, but I don't want to pay the crazy prices it's fetching.
This is one (along with "Boys and Girls") that UMe need to reissue as HFPA Blu-Rays!

That's crazy awesome! (Crazy cause of the price but awesome because it's a fine mix indeed!)
I still need to locate this one myself, but I don't want to pay the crazy prices it's fetching.
This is one (along with "Boys and Girls") that UMe need to reissue as HFPA Blu-Rays!

I agree, there are a few sacd's that deserve a price like this though and Avalon is one of them (so is Boys and Girls :)).

Here some prices on eBay

Bennett showed up today. 3 channel.

Attachments

• bennett_disk.jpg
    bennett_disk.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 181
  • bennett_back.jpg
    bennett_back.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 172
  • bennett_front.jpg
    bennett_front.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 166