Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD: Joe Cocker's With a Little Help from My Friends

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Here's the other June 2 release

Looks like someone else already discovered this release a few days ago since it's listed in the Joe Cocker thread, but nobody found the Doors release until today.

Here's the other June 2 release

Looks like someone else already discovered this release a few days ago since it's listed in the Joe Cocker thread, but nobody found the Doors release until today.

It was mentioned - somewhere a few days ago... The amazon listing has been there for a few days...

WIN!!!!

The Cocker will be stereo, then?

Hey, btw, do we have a full list of the AF multichannel SACD releases available and upcoming so far? Perhaps we should open a thread for people to get a quick overview of AF's multichannel program? Jon?

Seems odd to put out a stereo SACD right in the middle of all the surround releases. I guess they had planned to use the quad eight track mix not knowing A&M tossed it out or whatever.

Shouldn't the stereo mix be a down-mix of the quad? There is no original stereo mix of this album.

Imagine the sales on this Joe Cocker title are gonna be a bit of a let down. (y)

Since Fredblue broke the story, I edited his first post with the official press release info, so this now becomes the official notification of this disc.

The other SACD being released along with "The Best of Doors" is a stereo only "With a Little Help from My Friends" by Joe Cocker

Joe Cocker
"With A Little Help From My Friends"

Hybrid SACD
AFZ 209- SRP $29.99

Joe Cocker's 1969 album release, "With A Little Help From My Friends", is one of those rare debuts that really captures an artist at their prime. Cocker's voice is bolstered by some help from his friends including British rock luminaries Jimmy Page and Stevie Winwood. In addition to the classic Beatle cover tune the album includes songs written by Bob Dylan and Dave Mason... The songs are "Feeling Alright", "Just Like A Woman", "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and "I Shall Be Released". In 2001 Joe Cocker's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends" was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Do you know why we're not getting Joe in quad? I know the mix is crummy, but I despareately want it anyway (at least coud somebody do a transfer of the Q8?).

Yes, well, others know more about it, but the Joe Cocker original Quad Master is lost, at least at this time, I believe. A Q8 Quad transfer could have been done and put there, but there is a bit of controversy about whether conversions should be sold or not on a "Official" release. Also, the mix is supposedly not that stellar, maybe not even real Quad, but it is still a historic Quad release/recording IMHO.

Personally, I feel neutral about if conversions should be on re-releases, sort of leaning 51-49 in favor of conversions being there, maybe, perhaps, I don't know. It depends on situation and mix/title one would suppose.

The other problem is there are major dropouts on several of the songs that appear to be an error in manufacture. The same problem was on the two copies I've found and I've heard others have found the same issues on the copies they tried to convert.

Yes, well, others know more about it, but the Joe Cocker original Quad Master is lost, at least at this time, I believe. A Q8 Quad transfer could have been done and put there, but there is a bit of controversy about whether conversions should be sold or not on a "Official" release. Also, the mix is supposedly not that stellar, maybe not even real Quad, but it is still a historic Quad release/recording IMHO.

Personally, I feel neutral about if conversions should be on re-releases, sort of leaning 51-49 in favor of conversions being there, maybe, perhaps, I don't know. It depends on situation and mix/title one would suppose.

Universal does not have the Quad Master Tapes for the Joe Cocker. AF listened to the Q8 copy of the album - I did as well. Pretty dreadful sound quality. Definitely not something you would release. So we have a Stereo SACD release. That's the way it goes in some cases.

Universal does not have the Quad Master Tapes for the Joe Cocker. AF listened to the Q8 copy of the album - I did as well. Pretty dreadful sound quality. Definitely not something you would release. So we have a Stereo SACD release. That's the way it goes in some cases.

I personally am very glad the decision was made to not include a transfer of the Q8 on this SACD release, especially if the stereo was remastered from the original master tape. It's probably a night-and-day difference, and AF does not need to lower their quality standards after the sonic bliss experiences that were BS&T and Bread.

I agree 100%. Marshall asked me as well and after the nightmare with the Rick Wakemans, my advice was STEER CLEAR of any conversions of a Q8. It's not like the Q8 was a show piece to begin with. When I gave Marshall the link to the article about the guy who "created" the A&M quad mixes (or most of them), he was shocked. He knew the guy. (I won't say any more). Needless to say, there was no way that AF was going to release something that was not up to their standards. Not even CLOSE to their standards.

I agree 100%. Marshall asked me as well and after the nightmare with the Rick Wakemans, my advice was STEER CLEAR of any conversions of a Q8. It's not like the Q8 was a show piece to begin with. When I gave Marshall the link to the article about the guy who "created" the A&M quad mixes (or most of them), he was shocked. He knew the guy. (I won't say any more). Needless to say, there was no way that AF was going to release something that was not up to their standards. Not even CLOSE to their standards.

I think Otto made a good point in the poll thread when he said "be careful what you ask for." I might have liked for them to back burner the release and look harder for the quad master, but it seems like many here are not that thrilled with the mix in any case, so I guess it is for the best to let this one go as stereo only. Although I will not be buying the stereo.

It's so nice to have a company like AF who has such clear standards for what's acceptable for release, unlike a certain major label who started off the release year with some pretty lackluster DVD-A and Blu-Ray releases… ('Nuff said)
Still waiting for AF to add the 'buy' button on their website for "Homecoming" so I can buy directly from them as a way of thanking them for getting such a stellar release back out there. :)

I had no clue that the quad master for JC was missing. Agree 101% with you, Jon. Just wonder if they did a lookup on the UK vaults, since JC was a UK artist.

Back