Dutton Vocalion UK mining the Sony Music quad catalog for Multichannel SACD release!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also bought these...

[CDSML8525]Hugo Montenegro - Hugo in Wonder-Land Neil's Diamonds

WHAT??!!! Man, someone should start a new thread for this topic. I got tired of checking it (20 plus pages and counting) and had no idea that one of my top quad wants had been released on SACD until tonight. ORDERED!

I'd like to think that the e-mail I sent to Vocalion suggesting "Hugo in Wonderland" might have had some influence on this release.:)

Got back late on Wednesday night to find the discs waiting for me - fast delivery considering I only ordered them a few days ago, no shipping e-mail sent folks so just expect yours to turn up!

Hopefully my hearing will be OK tomorrow, still boomy from being bunged up with this :flame cold!

Just ordered The Tower Of Power & The Main Ingredient SACDs - its funny how as I've aged I've liked more of what I dismissed as 'Disco' in the 70s! Mind you I've always liked The Isley's & Issac Hayes :)

Honestly! I do not like not knowing if or when they will ship what I've already paid for. :yikes

Gene, it's not that bad. It's the same thing as a bachelor party really. You know there'll be a hottie that'll come out of the cake but you just don't really know when. ;)

Honestly! I do not like not knowing if or when they will ship what I've already paid for. :yikes

I hear ya. My credit card for 11 QUAD SACDs was charged on Nov. 11th and then I slipped in the Stereo SACD of Watership down and asked D~V to include that with my previous order. At least they credited my credit card for the s/h charge for Watership which they're incorporating into my QUAD shipment.....12 titles in all are expected.

Don't worry, Gene.......they'll show up hopefully in time for Christmas (or New Years?????)

The Flip Side: 19 QUADs and one long OOP Stereo SACD for about 200 bucks, delivered........and I know not all those titles are barnburners but in between listening to Metallica's HARDWIRED and other assorted bombastic music, a welcome respite and a REAL bargain in today's egregiously OVERPRICED physical disc market!

Gene, it's not that bad. It's the same thing as a bachelor party really. You know there'll be a hottie that'll come out of the cake but you just don't really know when. ;)

hahaha! I know. I just get impatient....and....so many other sites are so efficient about telling you when they ship...where they are in 20 minutes...where they are in 2 hours.... YOu know...when you signed...who signed.....back porch, front porch.....garage.

OK - enough! :yikes

I hope you'll find it worth the wait Gene.. at the risk of sounding like one of my stuck records :eek: really I'm so over the moon with how these DV Quads are turning out.. they all sound wonderful and there are some exceptional mixes in there..

..and no hype when I say just one of these SACDs is absolutely priceless to me - and amazingly DV have delivered a whole clutch more Quad SACDs in one fell swoop! - very impressive job.

..then if you factor in;

$110 equivalent spent on 3 copies of the SQ LP (+ requisite turntable, SQ decoder, etc of course) to get something I could truly enjoy the sound rather than endure pops and crackles etc as with copies 1 & 2.. and even then the results, as enjoyable as I find them, are still ultimately matrix-derived Quad.. the SQ Vinyl Surround Master does a sterling job with the SQ LP imho.. but I'm not kidding myself, the results aren't discrete, though to be fair they are to me a very respectable approximation of the original 4-channel discrete presentation, you get the sensation of surround without the full separation.. and I do have a lot to thank SQ & the SQ Surround Master for - not least that this Tower Of Power title was among a number of unfamiliar Quads that I've really come to love thanks to the quality of the surround sound from the SQ LP when decoded by the Involve unit..

but when I consider the new DV Surround SACD = fully discrete, gorgeously remastered from the original 4-channel master tapes, was only $11.. my mind is.. blown at what this one SACD release represents, to me.

It looks like the final three SACDs (Andre Kostelanetz, Arthur Fiedler, and the Watership Down soundtrack) are now available at the D-V website, so I would imagine that orders that include these discs will be in the mail shortly, if they aren't already.

The next time I speak to Michael Dutton, I'll see if they can add something to their storefront system that will send out automated emails when preorders are shipped. I suspect they just aren't used to having the kind of fervent preorder-ers like we have here on QQ!

I think there have been a lot of great suggestions and spectulation on further titles from D-V in the last few pages as well, something I very much share. While I wouldn't get your hopes up for a pile of hard rock releases from them (as much as I'd like that too), D-V are very much aware of what's out there in terms of quad mixes, not only from their own knowledge but also from information I've provided as well as requests other people have sent in and they seem very keen on continuing this multichannel SACD push.

I do hope that everyone who's speculated on future titles has bought at least one or two of these current ones, because I think there's something in this batch for almost everyone (provided your tastes aren't too narrow) and at an almost no-risk price. The most effective vote you can make for more releases is the one you make with your wallet.

Thanks Dave :)
..think I may hold off on those last couple and get them in Jan, too much else draining the finances at this festive time of year.. :party

although I seem to recall hearing the prices of these DV Surround SACDs will be going up soon,
so maybe I should steam in and grab the rest now while they're still cheap at under a tenner?!

I bought the two Soul-Funk releases and I'm looking at getting the Classical ones later, the MOR releases aren't for me - but the fact that they are providing a varied selection of music in Quad is great, there should be something there for everyone. Or in Adam's case everything :ugham: :worthy

It looks like the final three SACDs (Andre Kostelanetz, Arthur Fiedler, and the Watership Down soundtrack) are now available at the D-V website, so I would imagine that orders that include these discs will be in the mail shortly, if they aren't already.

The next time I speak to Michael Dutton, I'll see if they can add something to their storefront system that will send out automated emails when preorders are shipped. I suspect they just aren't used to having the kind of fervent preorder-ers like we have here on QQ!

I think there have been a lot of great suggestions and spectulation on further titles from D-V in the last few pages as well, something I very much share. While I wouldn't get your hopes up for a pile of hard rock releases from them (as much as I'd like that too), D-V are very much aware of what's out there in terms of quad mixes, not only from their own knowledge but also from information I've provided as well as requests other people have sent in and they seem very keen on continuing this multichannel SACD push.

I do hope that everyone who's speculated on future titles has bought at least one or two of these current ones, because I think there's something in this batch for almost everyone (provided your tastes aren't too narrow) and at an almost no-risk price. The most effective vote you can make for more releases is the one you make with your wallet.

Thanks Dave :)
..think I may hold off on those last couple and get them in Jan, too much else draining the finances at this festive time of year.. :party

although I seem to recall hearing the prices of these DV Surround SACDs will be going up soon,
so maybe I should steam in and grab the rest now while they're still cheap at under a tenner?!

That's correct, Mr. Dutton told me that prices will be increasing in the new year. They wanted to offer them initially at the current low prices to try and get the word about their SACD offerings out there.

That's correct, Mr. Dutton told me that prices will be increasing in the new year. They wanted to offer them initially at the current low prices to try and get the word about their SACD offerings out there.

That's an incentive to buy now. :)

Well, I bit and ordered five - Spanish Music, Rosza, Fiedler 70s, Watership Down, and Montenegro doing Godfather and Morricone. I'm curious to see how they sound.

You will have some fun there. Love Theme from the Godfather is a Surround Spectacular in 4 Channel.

My initial order of 5 of these arrived on Saturday...I've only listened to the Montenegro Godfather album but that is a spectacular use of quad, right from the git go on "Elephant Talk". For those of you on the fence about Hugo, I would not put him in the MOR category along with Ray Conniff and Percy Faith unless you use a really broad brush to draw that conclusion.

Over the weekend I listened to some of these releases in their original vinyl form, to see if I wanted to get them in SACD too. I have a question as a result. I listened to Ray Conniff: Love Will Keep Us Together, and Percy Faith: Love Theme From Romeo and Juliet. The Conniff album wasn't very creative and didn't have a lot of distinct separation, and in fact maybe the rear channel vocals that were a bit too strong. However, the Faith album actually had quite a good mix. I have two other Conniff's but didn't get to them. Can anyone comment on the typical quad quality of these two artists? I'm about to place my order, and Mancini, Montenegro, Tower of Power, and Main Ingredient are definites, I'm just not sure about the rest.

Over the weekend I listened to some of these releases in their original vinyl form, to see if I wanted to get them in SACD too. I have a question as a result. I listened to Ray Conniff: Love Will Keep Us Together, and Percy Faith: Love Theme From Romeo and Juliet. The Conniff album wasn't very creative and didn't have a lot of distinct separation, and in fact maybe the rear channel vocals that were a bit too strong. However, the Faith album actually had quite a good mix. I have two other Conniff's but didn't get to them. Can anyone comment on the typical quad quality of these two artists? I'm about to place my order, and Mancini, Montenegro, Tower of Power, and Main Ingredient are definites, I'm just not sure about the rest.
Romeo & Juliet a better Quad mix than The Entertainer imho and sounds nicer.. I prefer Love Will Keep Us Together to the Laughter In The Rain Quad mixwise.. as for the other Faith & Conniff Quads I'd have to refresh my memory its been a while but they all had things going for them even in SQ LP form for sure.. there were a couple of tracks on Faith's Clair Quad that were very good surround iirc, so maybe Dutton Vocalion will do that one on Surround SACD next if they do anymore by these two down the line.

Back